The Eich Factor | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Eich Factor

Scenario:
1. You are an apprentice brick layer in the construction industry. After your apprenticeship ends you are hired part time by a construction company with a new Foreman. Your first building season isnt easy with limited action, but you are "paying your dues getting experience.

2. The next season you have a new Foreman who asks you to do concrete work. Its new to you but you happily agree. Its not easy and you make some mistakes but you learn and by seasons end realize your work is pretty good for a novice.

3. The next season, yet another new Foreman, allows you to continue as a concrete worker. Then suddenly, the framer next to you gets hurt and you are asked to be the Framing expert for the entire project. You have no experience framing, but you accept this and try your best. Learning as you go.

This has been Eich's experience as a Dolphin! I realize that Eich has become the latest polarizing lightening rod of opinions on FH, but I don't think he deserves the **** that many toss at him given the circumstances. And I do think he can be a quality G if given some stability.
Is this Eich's new burner account??

I thought he learned from doing that in the past.

I’ll admit I don’t know much about him. Yet in 745 snaps last year with the Vikings he gave up zero sacks.

The fact he hasn’t signed anywhere yet obviously shows that teams aren’t jumping up and down to sign him. Perhaps if he is cheap he might only end up being a back up but they do need to sign another guard before training camp starts. I agree Van Roten would be the better player, I just don’t know if they have the money to sign him at this time.

Maybe after June 1st they could try and sign Van Roten if he is still unsigned.

Yeah I mean sacks aren’t end all be all.

Risner :
815 snaps
11 hits allowed
19 hurries
30 pressures

In comparison Miami’s total line
15 hits allowed
90 hurries
127 pressures

Risner almost allowed more hits than Miami’s entire oline last year and almost 1/4th of the hurries and pressures. Risner also didn’t start and play the first 5 games…

That’s a big yikes even from a team that had the 31st worst block win rate.

Scenario:
1. You are an apprentice brick layer in the construction industry. After your apprenticeship ends you are hired part time by a construction company with a new Foreman. Your first building season isnt easy with limited action, but you are "paying your dues getting experience.

2. The next season you have a new Foreman who asks you to do concrete work. Its new to you but you happily agree. Its not easy and you make some mistakes but you learn and by seasons end realize your work is pretty good for a novice.

3. The next season, yet another new Foreman, allows you to continue as a concrete worker. Then suddenly, the framer next to you gets hurt and you are asked to be the Framing expert for the entire project. You have no experience framing, but you accept this and try your best. Learning as you go.

This has been Eich's experience as a Dolphin! I realize that Eich has become the latest polarizing lightening rod of opinions on FH, but I don't think he deserves the **** that many toss at him given the circumstances. And I do think he can be a quality G if given some stability.
When he played Gaurd last season, he was decent.

Another year of development and who knows, Eich might show up this year and be ...... kinda good.

Growth like this happens at the Gaurd position ALOT, when guys hit their 3rd season.

"Working some at center" while hoping to win the LG job. And none of that work at center happened in real games. Indeed, that tweet is dated May 31, 2023, which was during OTA and at a time no live contact is allowed. So "working some at center" for the first time in his life when there is no live contact doesn't mean much.

Risner :
815 snaps
11 hits allowed
19 hurries
30 pressures

15 hits allowed
90 hurries
127 pressures

Risner almost allowed more hits than Miami’s entire oline last year and almost 1/4th of the hurries and pressures. Risner also didn’t start and play the first 5 games…

The pass block win rate stat is pretty meaningless with respect to the Dolphins because it covers only a small minority of pass blocking snaps. It excludes plays when the ball is thrown in 2.5 seconds or less and excludes screens, with those two categories being the lion's share of Dolphin passing plays.

Risner :
815 snaps
11 hits allowed
19 hurries
30 pressures

15 hits allowed
90 hurries
127 pressures

While you certainly have a valid argument, I think hits, hurries, and pressures have a lot to do with how quickly
a QB gets rid of the ball.

Cousins took over 3 seconds to get rid of the ball while Tua got rid of the ball in a little over 2.2 seconds. In fact one of the major complaints about Cousins while he was with the Vikings was he held the ball too long and this allowed the pass rush more time to impact his throws.

QB’s that take longer to get their pass off affects the stats concerning, sacks, hurries, and pressures. In fact if Tua had the same release time as Cousins, there is no doubt the stats for the Dolphins OL would have shown more sacks, hurries, and pressures than they did.

I only posted that the Dolphins were reported to be interested in signing Risner. I have no idea if they will sign him or not. Whether it’s Risner or another veteran guard they eventually sign, they definitely need to add another veteran guard before the season starts, IMO.

I'm pretty down on Liam, but as we saw from Austin Jackson last year it doesn't take much positive play for an offensive lineman to earn a big pay day. Maybe Liam does it this year, I don't think so, but stranger things have happened. I just would like to see the team stop playing musical chairs with him along the offensive line. Pick one position and tell him this is where he's playing now. I believe he's played all five positions along the line at this point and they settled on him being the backup center when he was a left tackle in college?

Need someone else to step up and take the RG spot. Eich should be a backup for the interior positions at most.

While you certainly have a valid argument, I think hits, hurries, and pressures have a lot to do with how quickly
a QB gets rid of the ball.

Cousins took over 3 seconds to get rid of the ball while Tua got rid of the ball in a little over 2.2 seconds. In fact one of the major complaints about Cousins while he was with the Vikings was he held the ball too long and this allowed the pass rush more time to impact his throws.

QB’s that take longer to get their pass off affects the stats concerning, sacks, hurries, and pressures. In fact if Tua had the same release time as Cousins, there is no doubt the stats for the Dolphins OL would have shown more sacks, hurries, and pressures than they did.

I only posted that the Dolphins were reported to be interested in signing Risner. I have no idea if they will sign him or not. Whether it’s Risner or another veteran guard they eventually sign, they definitely need to add another veteran guard before the season starts, IMO.

Risner barely played with cousins this year although what you said about cousins isn’t remotely true. Tua was responsible for 10.3% of his hurries/sacks/pressures/hits while cousins was responsible for 4.5% of his. On top of that cousins time to throw average under pressure was 2.97 seconds while Tua’s was 3.04.

All that’s irrelevant because he posted similar stats last year with Russell Wilson and the year before with teddy bridgewater and the year before with Drew Lock and the year before with Joe Flacco. We can’t blame the qb every time, he’s just not great. His run blocking is also way worse than his pass blocking. He’s just not good at all or worth a contract.

Van Roten is the only free agent out there that would be an upgrade. Sign him and wait on Connor Williams who I imagine will be available around mid season.

The issue last year was not the guard position Wynn/Jones/Eich all looked good at guard last year. We signed Driscoll to add to that depth as well. Lester Cotton is the only guard that actually scares me on Miami’s roster as he was not good at all.

The issue was when Eich had to play C this completely killed our guard spots forcing Cotton into starting LG the final month of the season. Had the line been Armstead/Eich/Williams/Jones/Jackson things would have been much different.

If anything we need an actual backup C way more then a guard. There’s nothing that will ruin the season faster than Eich back at C. He’s solid at guard but he was downright awful at C.

I can dig this analogy.

Although I think the problem *seemingly* is they’ve tried moving him around not because of need, but because he has sucked at everything he’s tried. So they try new spots hoping he’d be better than the last one… still sucks.
Exactly.

Scenario:

He’s literally played every position on the line. I think Big Eich has a breakout year. He’s a starting caliber guard

Back
Top Bottom