The Face of Miami Sports? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Face of Miami Sports?

dwadeattack said:
i think as long as the dolphins arent winning and not making the playoffs, the face of miami sports will not be a dolphin. in order to be the face of a town, u must not only have great accomplishments, but help ur team win. really none of them fit that category. its obviously dwade or shaq, how could u forget the diesel?

good point, to be the face of miami u have to win, and until they do the face of miami will be wade.....just how in the NEW area belicheck and brady have become the faces of the area, saban and maybe his future QB will be the faces of miami, i dont think anyone on our roster now could be but ya never know

DrAstroZoom said:
I think Saban could be the face of Miami sports in much the way Shula was when the Dolphins were a great team with few stars on the roster.
I agree Doc. I hope you're right and that turns out to be the case. :up:

In the 70s, it was the Zonk, then the 80s came and it was Marino until '99, then Ricky for a few years, but now, without a doubt its.....DWAAAYYYNNNEE WADE!!!

If Saban follows the Patriot formula he might become the biggest face of sports in Miami.

The average person could not tell you who Dwyane Wade is or even what team he plays for, whereas almost everyone has seen or heard of Shaq....they may not know Shaq now is with the Heat but they know who Shaq is. I would say Shaq is the biggest name in Miami sports right now.

Don't kid yourselves while the heat are awsome and shaq an DWade are unbeliveable, Miami will ALWAYS be a football town. The heat even had empty seats at the first two rounds of the playoffs. Baseball attendace is one of the lowest in the league (especially since we won a World series just a few years ago) Sports shows constantly try to focus on other sports but the fans demand Football. While dwayne Wade could very well be the best player SINCE michael Jordan, The Dolphins will sell out, drive more buisness, have more story lines, and be focused on much more then any other miami team.

This topic comes up every time one of the other teams is doing well. Everyone thinks that is the year that things are going to change. Yet every year the dolphins sell out or get bought out for tv rights EVERY ONE of there games. They have a shorter season, and much more marketability (the heat is a very very close second). Even shaq and Wade have both said that Miami is a Football town and they just want to make the basketball the best it can be down here.

awing_pilot said:
Don't kid yourselves while the heat are awsome and shaq an DWade are unbeliveable, Miami will ALWAYS be a football town. The heat even had empty seats at the first two rounds of the playoffs. Baseball attendace is one of the lowest in the league (especially since we won a World series just a few years ago) Sports shows constantly try to focus on other sports but the fans demand Football. While dwayne Wade could very well be the best player SINCE michael Jordan, The Dolphins will sell out, drive more buisness, have more story lines, and be focused on much more then any other miami team.

This topic comes up every time one of the other teams is doing well. Everyone thinks that is the year that things are going to change. Yet every year the dolphins sell out or get bought out for tv rights EVERY ONE of there games. They have a shorter season, and much more marketability (the heat is a very very close second). Even shaq and Wade have both said that Miami is a Football town and they just want to make the basketball the best it can be down here.

the one game the heat had empty seats for was a game on mothers day, which is a valid reason not to go. no arguement with the marlins attendence. as of right now, the fins are barely keeping control of the city. however, this will change if the heat bring home a championship. i love the fins as much as u all do, but unless the fins start getting close to a championship, which they havent done in a while, then this town is going to turn into a basketball or dare i say a baseball town.

SkapePhin said:
Shaq wont be here 10 years from now.. Heck, he might not even be here next year. Thats why I didnt mention him. Shaq will always have his place in Miami sports lore, but I dont know if you could put him on Marino status, simply because of the short tenure here.. The majority of Shaq's legend belongs in LA.

As it should be, but you never know.

dwadeattack said:
the one game the heat had empty seats for was a game on mothers day, which is a valid reason not to go. no arguement with the marlins attendence. as of right now, the fins are barely keeping control of the city. however, this will change if the heat bring home a championship. i love the fins as much as u all do, but unless the fins start getting close to a championship, which they havent done in a while, then this town is going to turn into a basketball or dare i say a baseball town.

The mothers day game is valid I will give you that. The panthers, the Marlins, the arena football team all brought back championships and for the first bit of the following season sales were up. After it just tapers out. I was at the last home game for the fins and there was a signifcant amount of people there . Thier was technically a sell out (CBS bought empty seats) but even for as bad as we were, the damn place is always packed.

I love all the miami teams I have season tickets to the phins go to at least 10-20 marlins games, 1-5 heat games, and about 10 panthers games when they are not on strike. Its my opinion and experience that no matter what the phins prevail thats with my phins glasses of btw. Now if they pull of 3 or 4 more 4-12 seasons then it could change but its not like you see wade doing levenson jewelry adds :D I hope miami/SOFLA becomes a more well rounded sports town it would do us good.

Dan is still the greatest athlete from Miami.

D-Wade has a chance to get up their, but he has to do something special like get some titles first. i dont think D-Wade could ever surpass Dan, but could get to the same level. but he has a long way to go.

beejay05 said:
What about Dontrell Willis as hte face of miami sports.. Next to Wade he is the most exciting athlete in Miami to watch. Whether he is pitching, hitting, rUnning the bases, playing D, or being interviewed after the game, the kid has it all. I know baseball does not even have the lore of the Heat, let alone the Phins, but Dontrell does. I love that kid. I think he just needs a stadium to reside in.

Baseball isn't comparable to football or even basketball as far as popularity. It would't surprise me if it is eventually replaced as a major sport. So Dontrell could be the next Cy Young and even then I doubt he would ever be the face of South Florida sports.

Shaq and Marino right now, but b/c of Shaq's considerable success in LA and probable short term stay here Marino will remain a SF icon.
The most likely future face is Saban, but DWade could make it a race. Since football is still king though DWade would have to achieve a Jordan-esque stature to accomplish it.

SkapePhin said:
For decades, there was only Dan. For 2 years, it appeared the next face of Miami Sports for the present and future would be the unmentionable number 34, we all know how that turned out. Could it be that the next face of Miami sports wont be a Dolphin at all? Shocking for a notoriou FOOTBALL town, but D Wade is now being mentioned in sports circles with NBA legends.. Will D Wade elevate himself to Marino status in Miami? Has he already surpassed JT and Zach in terms of hometown recognition and reverence?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/dailydime?page=dailydime-050514

Also, with the Saban era emerging, there is hope for great sucess for Miami's beloved football team. Who is the most likely Dolphin to compete with Wade for national attention? Ronnie Brown? Or will Saban's team be just that, a team... Without the one guy to garner the nation's attention.

If Brown busts out...the fan base in So. Fla will return to the Fins as their main source of entertainment...Wade is a fantastic BBer...but if we have a 10-6, 11-5 season and get to the POs...Wade and the Heat will be a memory...it's really fun right now with the anticipation of Saban and the Fins along with the Heat killing folks in the POs on the way to a possible championship...but still the Fins will win out when they return to prominence...

As far as Brown goes...Even if he busts out, as we all hope...it'll still be Saban's team....

Back
Top Bottom