The Fin Fan Illness... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fin Fan Illness...

This is the saddest thing I've read today, however I've only been up a few hours so there's still time. All this angst, petulance and condescension from someone desperate of their own irrelevance.
Its the truest thing you've read all day. Believe that! Other than calling assigning me condescending names, you didn't refute one point. And you can't. Because its all 100% true. YDF!

OK, time to get a little personal.

Like many of you, I'm divorced (thankfully, not from this tiny, adorable woman in my avatar). I was first married from 2000-2007 and it was great, until it wasn't. We didn't have kids, so that made the divorce a great deal easier, but it was still incredibly difficult for me. It's like that old saying: "it's always a minor heart attack until it's YOUR heart attack!"

Anyway, the divorce forced me to step back and take a long look at myself. I was 42, in the midst of getting a divorce and having to rebuild my life. I had to look at myself and say where do I need to spend the bulk of my energies? Do I really need to get so emotionally involved in things I have no control over? I was inconsolable after the Sea Of Hands, but then again, I was nine. I was depressed after Earl Campbell ran all over us on Monday Night Football. I can't stand John Riggins. I can't think about Super Bowl XIX and not think about Chuck Studley. And don't even mention the playoff loss to the Chargers in 1994. Now I had to decide: do I want to live the rest of my life like this? I had to wean myself from going from zero to raging every time something doesn't go right with this team. Dolphins go 1-15 in 2007? Hey, I got bigger problems, pal. My best friend and soon-to-be ex-wife just threw me out of our house in a torrent of tears.

Since then, I'm still every bit a fan as I was back when they won their first Super Bowl, but now, I don't allow myself to get so incensed over every defeat or unrealistically euphoric over every win. I know they're not going to go 19-0 every season. I know not every draft pick and free agent is going to be getting fitted for a gold jacket five years after they retire. NO ONE DOES. Like I said, I've been a fan since 1974. I've seen drug cases involving this team when the only drugs I knew about were St. Joseph's aspirins. I've seen this team get swept by the Walt Michaels and the Jets four years in a row. I've seen that chicken-necked Steve Grogan repeatedly beat a Bill Arnsparger defense. I've seen Don Shula have a losing season. I've also seen the Jets go down in a sea of mud in the AFC championship game. I've seen Marino pull off an Academy Award-worthy fake spike. I think I'm finally now seeing the foundation for steady and consistent growth, which will lead to steady and consistent winning.

And I'm loving every unpredictable second of it.

Michael
Your cander is more appreciated than I can express, brother. Your story reminds me that my loyalty to my team has gotten me through trials and tribulations in my own life.

Fins up, my friend.

Fins up!

i think the overall pessimism and negativity that you call the illness is due to a franchise that for at least 2 decades has been ok with being essentially 8-8 every year. Every offseason you get sold false hope thats things have changed and by week 6 were already talking about draft position and firing staff members, again.

a couple years ago i had some stuff happen in my personal life and came to realize whats really important to me...and its not the miami dolphins, this team does not care about you, they care about getting paid and thats it...and they still get paid handsomely if they lose. If i care about losing more than the players on the field then theres a problem. Im pissed off watching them get shellacked on tv and theres players laughing it up on the sidelines?

i still watch most the games dont get me wrong, but its not like it used to be thats for sure...i really dont care if they lose and i dont care enough to get excited when they win or score a big go ahead touchdown...maybe im jaded from basically 20 years of garbage since marino left and maybe one day ill actually care again but as of now if i have something better to do on a sunday i do that, like blowing leaves or splitting wood or something i dont wanna do that the wife claims she told me about weeks ago...

Back
Top Bottom