The Fin Fan Illness... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fin Fan Illness...

I would describe the fin fan illness as chronic neurosis with a few brief moments of lucidity.

June+17+2018.jpg
You hookered me.

That's an awful waffle. Then again blue is my favorite color so I found myself mildy wishing it were true.

All things considered, this season is going even better than I had hoped. We've been competitive against NE and Buffalo and beat the pants off the Jags while Houston is 0-3. This is what we needed to happen. The 2021 draft is still critical to this whole process. The defensive front 7 will see an influx of talent next year, the OL will be bolstered, the WRing corp will get its speed.

Buffalo is not for real.

New England is just another team.

New York Jets are moving to the XFL.

Early signs thus far is the OL is bolstered for the most part. It's been 10+ years since I've actually seen a "solid and/or competent" O-line. I'm not expecting a dominant O-Line but taking small baby steps a solid competent group is ideal.

The one possible OL spot influx is Center; however, if Dieter can make a leap of improvement that may solve the concern in the long-term. Agreed Defensive Front 7 needs some tinkering. The only spots on the front 7 NEEDED in the worst way possible is a space eating NT, and a 3-down MLB.

I give it three years and if in the third year there is still mediocrity, tear it down again. Given this is a "true rebuild" they get 3 years. Tua hasn't stepped onto the field yet so how can you judge the progress of a coach if all his pieces can't be used?

I'll reserve my judgement until after the draft in 2021. If this team isn't firing on all cylinders in 2021 my pitch fork and torch is coming out.
I’ve always said that 2021 will be the true mark of this team because they’ll be three years in and hopefully by that point most of not all skill positions will be filled with talent.

Shouldn’t be any excuses then.

So, I've been observing the fan base on FH for many years, as I take as much of an interest in my fellow Fins fans as I do my team. As the team has progressed and regressed over the past half century, the mentality of a Dolphins fan certainly HASN'T changed. Question success, and confirm disappointment.

This year is no different then any other. What starts in April with pessimism and doubt, then post-draft and into training camp (no matter the Covid), the cautious optimism begins to take shape. Then when the season begins, the "illness" starts to infect the gen pop on FH.

Games not played well trigger the calling for the front office to be imploded, and any progress is met with resistance out of disbelief, or being the "beaten dog" that is our fan base trusts no treats in the dish.

This Dolphins team is on year two of a MASSIVE rebuild. Evey core position is being evaluated. Every specialized roster move is a litmus test of the staff's ability to evaluate talent. Every injury or player incident under a microscope.

The "illness" that has sickened Fins fans for decades is to always expect failure, even if there is progress. To always assume the front office does not know what it's doing, and rightfully so based on the results of past GM, coaching, and player decisions.

However, this mentality that fans have is EXACTLY like a chronic illness. We've learned to live with the symptoms, and the optimism for a cure can be just as easy to dismiss as false senses of security.

Our fan base has never experienced a true rebuild, so it has no idea what it looks like. Would we know what success in a rebuild represents? Do we even understand what progress looks like, when we have only seen regression with multiple coaches, GMs, and players? Self diagnosis of this illness is impossible.

So in year two, with a young and bright HC in Brian Flores and a competent GM in Chris Grier, the trials of the cure for the illness are happening. There will be setbacks, as there are in any "solutions to problems" agendas.

My hope is that the fans that have the "illness" don't continue to ignore the symptoms, as those of us that participate in the trials will be cured in a time sooner than thought possible.

Go Fins!

It's not an illness. It's called we haven't won a SB in 47 freaking YEARS and we're tired of waiting. People can give us all the "we're rebuilding and it takes time" all the want but fans just want results. Trust me, give us a winner and the FO/HC and team will get their props. Till they show us something different than what we've seen for years and years, expect most fans to feel the same way. This team has let the fan base down time after time. Stop calling out the fans that are sick of waiting for a winner. After all these years of losing the fans have a right to be upset.

Can't wait to have a coach that feels the same way.

Yes, the team is rebuilding, and yes, it may take a while to accomplish. In the recent past there have been a few teams that turned it around in a season or two, going from doormats to being competitive. A competent Head Coach and GM combo, armed with a ton of draft picks and money under the cap, should be able to turn a team around rather quickly. However, Ross made several hiring decisions that sent this team not just down the toilet, but into the sewer heading for the ocean. Most rebuilds involve changing some players at various positions to fit the schemes of the new regime, and upgrading the overall level of talent. Thanks to Ross, Flores will need to replace nearly ALL of Miami's roster; including an entire o-line! (I know they kept Davis, but he should be replaced in the next draft.) Having to replace an entire o-line because they can't block is a sure sign that there's a huge problem with those who sign/draft the players, and probably also with those who coach them. This is all the result of the Philbin and Gase regimes with a lot of help from Tannenbaum.

Why do I put all of the blame on Ross? Looking at the Sparano-led team that Ross bought, even a football idiot like me could see what they needed to do to take that next step and become a playoff-caliber team. On defense, Mike Nolan had a Top 5 Rushing Defense, but he needed someone who could cover TEs in the middle of the field and probably another good CB. And, he lost too many games by going to the prevent defense instead of being aggressive and doing what worked in the first 3 1/2 quarters. On offense, Henning (and Daboll) ran a vanilla offense, with many defenders saying that they knew exactly what Miami was going to do. The o-line was mostly competent except for a bunch of turnstiles playing RT. They did a good job of moving the ball between the 20s, but usually ended up settling for FGs instead of TDs due to a lack of talent. They needed a better QB, a seam-threat TE, and a #1 WR, along with better playcalling. This team went toe-to-toe with some of the elite teams but normally lost at the end due to scoring FGs instead of TDs and/or allowing teams to come from behind with the prevent defense. Upgrade a few positions, replace the OC, and tell Nolan to quit calling the prevent defense and they would most likely be a playoff team.

But NO! Ross decided to hire Joe Philbin, a guy who had never been in charge of a team at ANY level! He didn't even call the plays in GB, yet Ross hired him after hearing about his idea for an explosive, dynamic, high-scoring offense. Football is a tough, physical game, but Philbin slowly replaced every tough, physical player with guys he wanted. Miami used to dominate Buffalo and the Jets, but under Philbin and Gase Miami's offense was pushed around and dominated by the tough, physical d-lines of the Bills and Jets. As for Philbin's explosive, dynamic, high-scoring offense? The reality was that they usually couldn't score until nearly half-time, and by then they were down by 2 or 3 scores. Add this sluggish offense to a defense said to be built to play with a lead (which they never had), and you have the recipe for a complete disaster. I have no idea how Ross allowed Philbin to stay for 3 1/2 seasons. I suffered through the Philbin regime waiting for a change, only to see Ross hire Adam Gase... the one man who was even more delusional than Philbin! And, let's not forget how Ross stubbornly refused to completely clean house; taking only half-measures time after time!

So, Ross bought a team that was close to being good; they just needed a few upgrades. With one good draft, a few decent Free Agents, and better playcalling, that team could have taken the next step into the playoffs. Instead, the decisions made by Ross sent the team into the toilet. Under Philbin and Gase, this team was turned into a bunch of "finesse" ballerinas rather than tough, hard-hitting football players. What should've been a quick return to relevancy turned into nearly a decade of continued garbage headed in the opposite direction. Is it possible that Grier and Flores can succeed in turning this team around? Sure, it's possible; they have the draft picks and money to help them. However, I don't think that any regime has had to replace as much of a roster as they'll have to replace, so it's going to take time. Even if they fail, at least it appears that the team is actually getting some talent to build upon for the next regime.

The way I see it, the one or two year turnaround that was possible when Ross bought the team has turned into nearly a decade of pathetic play on the field, with the current regime having to replace nearly an entire roster. That's pretty bad! And if this regime should fail too, then it will probably be due to Ross taking half-measures again when Tannenbaum and Gase were fired. I'm sick and tired of waiting for the Dolphins to be good again, so I'm hoping that this time things will be different!

Yes, the team is rebuilding, and yes, it may take a while to accomplish. In the recent past there have been a few teams that turned it around in a season or two, going from doormats to being competitive. A competent Head Coach and GM combo, armed with a ton of draft picks and money under the cap, should be able to turn a team around rather quickly. However, Ross made several hiring decisions that sent this team not just down the toilet, but into the sewer heading for the ocean. Most rebuilds involve changing some players at various positions to fit the schemes of the new regime, and upgrading the overall level of talent. Thanks to Ross, Flores will need to replace nearly ALL of Miami's roster; including an entire o-line! (I know they kept Davis, but he should be replaced in the next draft.) Having to replace an entire o-line because they can't block is a sure sign that there's a huge problem with those who sign/draft the players, and probably also with those who coach them. This is all the result of the Philbin and Gase regimes with a lot of help from Tannenbaum.

Why do I put all of the blame on Ross? Looking at the Sparano-led team that Ross bought, even a football idiot like me could see what they needed to do to take that next step and become a playoff-caliber team. On defense, Mike Nolan had a Top 5 Rushing Defense, but he needed someone who could cover TEs in the middle of the field and probably another good CB. And, he lost too many games by going to the prevent defense instead of being aggressive and doing what worked in the first 3 1/2 quarters. On offense, Henning (and Daboll) ran a vanilla offense, with many defenders saying that they knew exactly what Miami was going to do. The o-line was mostly competent except for a bunch of turnstiles playing RT. They did a good job of moving the ball between the 20s, but usually ended up settling for FGs instead of TDs due to a lack of talent. They needed a better QB, a seam-threat TE, and a #1 WR, along with better playcalling. This team went toe-to-toe with some of the elite teams but normally lost at the end due to scoring FGs instead of TDs and/or allowing teams to come from behind with the prevent defense. Upgrade a few positions, replace the OC, and tell Nolan to quit calling the prevent defense and they would most likely be a playoff team.

But NO! Ross decided to hire Joe Philbin, a guy who had never been in charge of a team at ANY level! He didn't even call the plays in GB, yet Ross hired him after hearing about his idea for an explosive, dynamic, high-scoring offense. Football is a tough, physical game, but Philbin slowly replaced every tough, physical player with guys he wanted. Miami used to dominate Buffalo and the Jets, but under Philbin and Gase Miami's offense was pushed around and dominated by the tough, physical d-lines of the Bills and Jets. As for Philbin's explosive, dynamic, high-scoring offense? The reality was that they usually couldn't score until nearly half-time, and by then they were down by 2 or 3 scores. Add this sluggish offense to a defense said to be built to play with a lead (which they never had), and you have the recipe for a complete disaster. I have no idea how Ross allowed Philbin to stay for 3 1/2 seasons. I suffered through the Philbin regime waiting for a change, only to see Ross hire Adam Gase... the one man who was even more delusional than Philbin! And, let's not forget how Ross stubbornly refused to completely clean house; taking only half-measures time after time!

So, Ross bought a team that was close to being good; they just needed a few upgrades. With one good draft, a few decent Free Agents, and better playcalling, that team could have taken the next step into the playoffs. Instead, the decisions made by Ross sent the team into the toilet. Under Philbin and Gase, this team was turned into a bunch of "finesse" ballerinas rather than tough, hard-hitting football players. What should've been a quick return to relevancy turned into nearly a decade of continued garbage headed in the opposite direction. Is it possible that Grier and Flores can succeed in turning this team around? Sure, it's possible; they have the draft picks and money to help them. However, I don't think that any regime has had to replace as much of a roster as they'll have to replace, so it's going to take time. Even if they fail, at least it appears that the team is actually getting some talent to build upon for the next regime.

The way I see it, the one or two year turnaround that was possible when Ross bought the team has turned into nearly a decade of pathetic play on the field, with the current regime having to replace nearly an entire roster. That's pretty bad! And if this regime should fail too, then it will probably be due to Ross taking half-measures again when Tannenbaum and Gase were fired. I'm sick and tired of waiting for the Dolphins to be good again, so I'm hoping that this time things will be different!

The local media also pushed for many of the changes you dislike. Shoot anyone remember the "cornfed" narrative on FH during the Sparano and Philbin years? Remember you could dumpster dive for your offensive line needs and get success?

The fan base along with a media do have a way of getting to the owner.

The FH echo chamber was strong during those years.

So, I've been observing the fan base on FH for many years, as I take as much of an interest in my fellow Fins fans as I do my team. As the team has progressed and regressed over the past half century, the mentality of a Dolphins fan certainly HASN'T changed. Question success, and confirm disappointment.

This year is no different then any other. What starts in April with pessimism and doubt, then post-draft and into training camp (no matter the Covid), the cautious optimism begins to take shape. Then when the season begins, the "illness" starts to infect the gen pop on FH.

Games not played well trigger the calling for the front office to be imploded, and any progress is met with resistance out of disbelief, or being the "beaten dog" that is our fan base trusts no treats in the dish.

This Dolphins team is on year two of a MASSIVE rebuild. Evey core position is being evaluated. Every specialized roster move is a litmus test of the staff's ability to evaluate talent. Every injury or player incident under a microscope.

The "illness" that has sickened Fins fans for decades is to always expect failure, even if there is progress. To always assume the front office does not know what it's doing, and rightfully so based on the results of past GM, coaching, and player decisions.

However, this mentality that fans have is EXACTLY like a chronic illness. We've learned to live with the symptoms, and the optimism for a cure can be just as easy to dismiss as false senses of security.

Our fan base has never experienced a true rebuild, so it has no idea what it looks like. Would we know what success in a rebuild represents? Do we even understand what progress looks like, when we have only seen regression with multiple coaches, GMs, and players? Self diagnosis of this illness is impossible.

So in year two, with a young and bright HC in Brian Flores and a competent GM in Chris Grier, the trials of the cure for the illness are happening. There will be setbacks, as there are in any "solutions to problems" agendas.

My hope is that the fans that have the "illness" don't continue to ignore the symptoms, as those of us that participate in the trials will be cured in a time sooner than thought possible.

Go Fins!

I would contend this “illness” as you put it...is more common in the younger fans...those of us who remember the first 25 years of Dolphins history...remember the “winningest team in professional sports”....5 AFC championships....2 world championships....the greatest team in history... “the perfect team”.

We know what winning is like and I think are a bit more patient and less ready to “rush to judgement”.

This team is definitely on the right track...if Tua is durable and becomes what we hope...the future is very bright!

Last edited:
I would contend this “illness” as you put it...is more common in the younger fans...those of us who remember the first 25 years of Dolphins history...remember the “winningest team in professional sports”....5 AFC championships....2 world championships....the greatest team in history... “the perfect team”.

We know what winning is like and I think are a bit more patient and less ready to “rush to judgement”.

This team is definitely on the right track...if Tua is durable and becomes what we hope...the future is very bright!
Absolutely. Building the right way through the draft, along with strong player development and responsible and relatively rare FA signings to temporarily fill holes takes time. While I wish it could go much faster (I won't live forever), I know teams like we had in yesteryear weren't built in a day. I'm not sure why some think they were. Necessary dues (growing pains) for a young, eager team nearly always have to be payed along the way. Even, with outstanding coaching and development.

I give it three years and if in the third year there is still mediocrity, tear it down again. Given this is a "true rebuild" they get 3 years. Tua hasn't stepped onto the field yet so how can you judge the progress of a coach if all his pieces can't be used?

I'll reserve my judgement until after the draft in 2021. If this team isn't firing on all cylinders in 2021 my pitch fork and torch is coming out.
There not going be on all cylinders because Bill's and N.E will still be hard beat.. Tua might still be rookie at qb.. we looking at yr 4.. to be fair..

There's a sickness among people who think rebuilds take many years. If your rebuild isn't competing for the division and making the playoffs in year 3 then it's failed (barring some extenuating circumstance like QB missing an extended period of time due to injury). Keeping the same people in place at that point probably won't lead to better results.

That said, it's year 2. Year 2 you go from being bad to being able to win every game, but still probably losing a lot.

Back
Top Bottom