The "Fish" Who Got Away | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The "Fish" Who Got Away

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
The Natives were/are restless on off season moves made and not made this year. Time for a closer look. I skip VD, as he has already been discussed recently in not yet doing anything in Indy.

Brandon Marshall, ranked #34, went back with his old QB in Cutler on what was thought to be a VG team. So far, he has caught 16 of 29 passes thrown to him for 214 yards, 1 TD, and 2 drops.

Hartline, ranked #37, with no camp and a rookie QB, has caught 13 of 29 passes for the exact same 214 yards. 0 TD's, and the exact same 2 drops.

I wanted Manningham, ranked #41, with 12 of 13 passes caught for 113 yards and 0 TD's.
-------------------------
Next, I wanted Eric Winston, ranked #19, who has been good in pass protect but average in run blocking. He has given up 1 sack, 0 QB hits, and 9 hurries.

Martin, ranked # 58, has not been as good but, keeps getting better at a small portion of the cost. He has given up 1 sack, 1 hit, and 8 pressures.
--------------------------

Next, I wanted Mark Anderson at DE to go with Wake. He went to Buff opposite Mario Williams. As of now, he has 1 sack, 2 QB hits, and 5 hurries.

Pee Wee Odrick has 1 sack, 5 hits, and 1 hurry, while being much better vs the run.

We could add in Flynn but, he has no stats, as he could not win the starting job from a rookie.

I've seen some posts on how our team has failed badly in the off season, and there is some merit to that. I just do not think the above was taken into consideration.
smilepng-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Natives were/are restless on off season moves made and not made this year. Time for a closer look. I skip VD, as he has already been discussed recently in not yet doing anything in Indy.

Brandon Marshall, ranked #34, went back with his old QB in Cutler on what was thought to be a VG team. So far, he has caught 16 f 19 passes thrown to him for 214 yards, 1 TD, and 2 drops.

Hartline, ranked #37, with no camp and a rookie QB, has caught 13 of 29 passes for the exact same 214 yards. 0 TD's, and the exact same 2 drops.

I wanted Manningham, ranked #41, with 12 of 13 passes caught for 113 yards and 0 TD's.
Next, I wanted Eric Winston, ranked #19, who has been good in pass protect but average in run blocking. He has given up 1 sack, 0 QB hits, and 9 hurries.

Martin, ranked # 58, has not been as good but, keeps getting better at a small portion of the cost. He has given up 1 sack, 1 hit, and 8 pressures.
--------------------------

Next, I wanted Mark Anderson at DE to go with Wake. He went to Buff opposite Mario Williams. As of now, he has 1 sack, 2 QB hits, and 5 hurries.

Pee Wee Odrick has 1 sack, 5 hits, and 1 hurry, while being much better vs the run.

We could add in Flynn but, he has no stats, as he could not win the starting job from a rookie.

I've seen some posts on how our team has failed badly in the off season, and there is some merit to that. I just do not think the above was taken into consideration.
smilepng-1.jpg

Brandon has caught 16 from 19 attempts, Hartline 13 of 29. That's a big difference. Odrick certainly isn't a nifty pass rusher, but form what I've seen he moves extremely well for a 300 lb guy. I'm not giving up on him yet as per pass rush. The OLBs Misi and Burnett- where are they? Mannigham- i don't know what he go paid, but I would have been fine with it if we brough him in as a FA. 12 comps out of 13 atts- impressive stuff, once again blowing Hartline out of the water.

Brandon has caught 16 from 19 attempts, Hartline 13 of 29. That's a big difference. Odrick certainly isn't a nifty pass rusher, but form what I've seen he moves extremely well for a 300 lb guy. I'm not giving up on him yet as per pass rush. The OLBs Misi and Burnett- where are they? Mannigham- i don't know what he go paid, but I would have been fine with it if we brough him in as a FA. 12 comps out of 13 atts- impressive stuff, once again blowing Hartline out of the water.

That's just not true. Marshall was targeted 29 times or 31 if you go by ESPN. I don't know if Marshall ever caught 16 of 19, even in High School. Dod he pay you for this post? :)

That's fair. In hindsight, what would you have done in his place?

I would have made WR a #1 priority in the draft and in FA. I wouldn't blatantly ignore the position, especially if I knew there was a chance my rookie QB was starting. I would have drafted Stephen Hill in the 2nd round instead of Martin, and I would have signed Manningham. I might have also did more at WR in the draft. I would not trade Marshall away (although I didn't mind the trade at the time) either. All of a sudden, that looks like a pretty good WR core for Tannehill. I believe play makers win games. Our only play maker is Reggie Bush, and he has a past of injuries. I think having a better WR core would have made a big difference in our last 3 games. Teams can easily stack the box on us. Imagine if we had play makers at WR with this running game? It would be a deadly offense assuming they would let Tannehill throw it more. I would also not trade Vontae away a week before the season starts; this secondary has been roasted every week.

That's just not true. Marshall was targeted 29 times or 31 if you go by ESPN. I don't know if Marshall ever caught 16 of 19, even in High School. Dod he pay you for this post? :)

I was commenting on the OP's stats, I'm not vouching for them.

Re: drop rates "the best" that's why Larry Fitz is so great! ...and I wish we would have made an effort to bring Reggie Wayne home.

Made no sense they guy was not asking for an outrageous amount and clearly wanted out of indy

I would have made WR a #1 priority in the draft and in FA. I wouldn't blatantly ignore the position, especially if I knew there was a chance my rookie QB was starting. I would have drafted Stephen Hill in the 2nd round instead of Martin, and I would have signed Manningham. I might have also did more at WR in the draft. I would not trade Marshall away (although I didn't mind the trade at the time) either. All of a sudden, that looks like a pretty good WR core for Tannehill. I believe play makers win games. Our only play maker is Reggie Bush, and he has a past of injuries. I think having a better WR core would have made a big difference in our last 3 games. Teams can easily stack the box on us. Imagine if we had play makers at WR with this running game? It would be a deadly offense assuming they would let Tannehill throw it more. I would also not trade Vontae away a week before the season starts; this secondary has been roasted every week.

Great post. I love it when someone actually has viable alternatives to what was done.

Problem with FA is that, well, FA at the WR pos. wasn't very good. Hell pretty bad actually.

And you can't draft a player and call the position cured either.

Problem with FA is that, well, FA at the WR pos. wasn't very good. Hell pretty bad actually.

And you can't draft a player and call the position cured either.

the point is there were free agents that could have helped us

Back
Top Bottom