The Honeymoon Is Over | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Honeymoon Is Over

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
After hoping (dreaming) we might be a bit more active in free agency, it is apparent that the curse of Wannstedt is now sinking in and the honeymoon is over. The excitement of actually luring Saban away from LSU and then Saban's hiring of great coaches like Linehan and Houck combined with Huizenga's apparent rejuvenation and big plans led most of us out of the terrible depression we suffered through last year and offered the promise of a new and exciting year. The rebirth, if you will, of a once proud franchise.

Reality is now upon us and we will not be major players, or even close, in free agency. Just look at the list of top free agents in this link: http://scout.foxsports.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83

We will not be signing players from this list, instead we will be mostly bottom feeders - signing has-beens and never-beens. We will be asking the impossible from guys like McIntosh, who couldn't play LT last year, to somehow step into a phone booth and turn into Walter Jones. Someone named Travares Tillman who was out of the NFL because no one believed he was talented enough to make their roster will now be competing for a job in a once proud defensive secondary.

Right about now, Nick Saban is experiencing daily heartburn and migraine headaches as he manuevers through the NFL obstacle course realizing there is only so much he can do. The reality of salary cap constraints, greedy agents, and self-absorbed players are making him long for the good old days at LSU.

He is tough though and he will endure, but he is getting a major dose of NFL reality......the honeymoon is over.

As finfans, our annual dreamweaving must now be pointed at the draft and the hope of overhyped rookies saving our proud team. In my dreams, we're gonna win the Super Bowl this year. In dreams, anything is possible.

FinFan57 said:
After hoping (dreaming) we might be a bit more active in free agency, it is apparent that the curse of Wannstedt is now sinking in and the honeymoon is over. The excitement of actually luring Saban away from LSU and then Saban's hiring of great coaches like Linehan and Houck combined with Huizenga's apparent rejuvenation and big plans led most of us out of the terrible depression we suffered through last year and offered the promise of a new and exciting year. The rebirth, if you will, of a once proud franchise.

Reality is now upon us and we will not be major players, or even close, in free agency. Just look at the list of top free agents in this link: http://scout.foxsports.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83

We will not be signing players from this list, instead we will be mostly bottom feeders - signing has-beens and never-beens. We will be asking the impossible from guys like McIntosh, who couldn't play LT last year, to somehow step into a phone booth and turn into Walter Jones. Someone named Travares Tillman who was out of the NFL because no one believed he was talented enough to make their roster will now be competing for a job in a once proud defensive secondary.

Right about now, Nick Saban is experiencing daily heartburn and migraine headaches as he manuevers through the NFL obstacle course realizing there is only so much he can do. The reality of salary cap constraints, greedy agents, and self-absorbed players are making him long for the good old days at LSU.

He is tough though and he will endure, but he is getting a major dose of NFL reality......the honeymoon is over.

As finfans, our annual dreamweaving must now be pointed at the draft and the hope of overhyped rookies saving our proud team. In my dreams, we're gonna win the Super Bowl this year. In dreams, anything is possible.

Usally when you dont have much money you dont sign big name players. So far Saban as signed 2 players with the little room we have left. The honeymoon as just begun,so dont call it off.

KB21 summed it up very well in his post "The Key to Signing Free Agents"

KB21 said:
Many of you seem upset that Miami hasn't jumped into the bidding wars for some of the top free agents on the market. The reason they haven't is that Nick Saban knows that free agency isn't the way to build a team.

The key to finding free agent talent is getting guys who aren't the big name guys. Guys who may be on the verge of breaking out. Typically, the unknown players that sign free agent contracts tend to be the best free agent signings. These are guys who are signed cheap and break out to become above average players.

From 1995 till this point, the best free agent signing the Miami Dolphins had isn't a big name player. It isn't Brock Marion. It isn't Kevin Donnalley. They were good free agent signings, but the best, IMO, was Brian Walker. Brian was a street free agent when Miami first got him in 1998. He became a ballhawking safety in the Dolphins system. He went on to sign a big contract with the Seahawks, got cut, came back to Miami, and lead the Dolphins in interceptions. Plus, he was a force in the run. He fit the Dolphins scheme very well, and he has been a non-descript player for other teams. Amazing how that happens, but it does.

Some of you may snub your nose at the Travares Tillman type of signings, but you just never know. Jamie Nails was a street free agent that played at a near pro bowl level until he injured his knee.

You can't go on big spending sprees in free agency. Miami tried that in 1995, and it didn't work. Washington has done that religously over the past few years, and it hasn't worked.

Teams are built through the draft, and they are augmented through free agency. New England won their first Superbowl by being frugal in free agency with the signings of unknown players like David Patten, Mike Compton, Joe Andruzzi, and Larry Izzo and veteran players like Roman Phifer and Ted Washington.

Whitedolphin54 said:
I have full faith in Saban-but at the mo are team looks weaker than it did last year-and we were 4-12 then

We aint done yet, we will still add more players.

Reality check - click on the link above and tell me how many of the top 50 free agents we will be signing? Believe me, the honeymoon is over.

FinFan57 said:
After hoping (dreaming) we might be a bit more active in free agency, it is apparent that the curse of Wannstedt is now sinking in and the honeymoon is over.

I thought this team had no chance to retool through free agency. The first goal of the team is being accomplished by fixing the broke cap issues we face.

This team needs to get younger, and and figure out which direction it wants to go in.

Anyone who thought Saban would be lifting the Lombardi trophy next year pretty much had to be dreaming.

I wouldn't consider this being the honeymoon is over, rather there are brighter days ahead. You have to fall to the depths to rise again.

FinFan57 said:
Reality check - click on the link above and tell me how many of the top 50 free agents we will be signing? Believe me, the honeymoon is over.

Holliday gots to be a top 50 free agent(who we just signed). Plus Carter is expected to sign a contract with us later today and i know for sure he is in the top 50.

I do agree that great teams are built through the draft. That is exactly what I mean. Don't think free agents will be turning this team around. We will be using the guys we have now and a few rookies. This will take hard work and TIME.

Never really thought we were going to sign big FA's, everyone needs to calm down!

Carter is considered a top 50 free agent (near the bottom because of his age and declining production), but Holliday isn't. We haven't signed Carter either.

call me crazy, but i dont think saban is trying to put together a quick fix, he's plugging short term holes and building for the future...

the impatience on this board is astounding. someone made a post on 3/2 at 8:00am criticzing saban for not making any moves, lol. do yourselves a favor, follow the redskins.

Yea, lets jump right into the fire and be in cap-hell for the next 2/3/4 years.

Back
Top Bottom