The Key to Signing Free Agents. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Key to Signing Free Agents.

I'd expect Tillman to atleast be a decent backup. Probably a wash with Shawn Wooden.

FiN.in.RI said:
To those who don't like it: JUMP SHIP NOW.

We don't want you here when the Lombardi comes home.

Exactly. That's what I've been saying to people complaining about not going after Jordan,Wahle,etc.. They think Saban is stupid. They better get use to the way this offseason goes because that's the way it's gonna go as long Saban is our head coach.

Its kind of funny how some people say they will agree 100 percent with Saban on who we will pick up. But yet they bash him because we havent really done anything yet in free agency.

Tillman's more likely going to be a backup or ST. He's cheap so that's fine with me.

I have no problem w/ the Tillman pick up... I figure he'll be a servicable back up. I really really think the future at safety for this team is Bell and Bua. something tells me they are going to be playmakers

KB21 said:
Many of you seem upset that Miami hasn't jumped into the bidding wars for some of the top free agents on the market. The reason they haven't is that Nick Saban knows that free agency isn't the way to build a team.

The key to finding free agent talent is getting guys who aren't the big name guys. Guys who may be on the verge of breaking out. Typically, the unknown players that sign free agent contracts tend to be the best free agent signings. These are guys who are signed cheap and break out to become above average players.

From 1995 till this point, the best free agent signing the Miami Dolphins had isn't a big name player. It isn't Brock Marion. It isn't Kevin Donnalley. They were good free agent signings, but the best, IMO, was Brian Walker. Brian was a street free agent when Miami first got him in 1998. He became a ballhawking safety in the Dolphins system. He went on to sign a big contract with the Seahawks, got cut, came back to Miami, and lead the Dolphins in interceptions. Plus, he was a force in the run. He fit the Dolphins scheme very well, and he has been a non-descript player for other teams. Amazing how that happens, but it does.

Some of you may snub your nose at the Travares Tillman type of signings, but you just never know. Jamie Nails was a street free agent that played at a near pro bowl level until he injured his knee.

You can't go on big spending sprees in free agency. Miami tried that in 1995, and it didn't work. Washington has done that religously over the past few years, and it hasn't worked.

Teams are built through the draft, and they are augmented through free agency. New England won their first Superbowl by being frugal in free agency with the signings of unknown players like David Patten, Mike Compton, Joe Andruzzi, and Larry Izzo and veteran players like Roman Phifer and Ted Washington.

I couldn't agree more with this thread. Nothing else to add, great post.

Regan21286 said:
Tillman's more likely going to be a backup or ST. He's cheap so that's fine with me.

He very possibly will be camp fodder.

You're right on with the second point, though. Beyond that, I'm not into judging what Nick is doing. He gets this offseason at a minimum as a grace period.

Free Agency is like buying a car... I am gonna take my time to kick the tires. If you rush it, most of the time you end up overpaying.

Think about it... for the past few years the most overpaid FA's are the ones that are signed right after the FA period begins. If we take our time to research the value players, we will come out on top!

IMO, the free agent Miami could get who will come relatively cheap and be a bargain signing is Keydrick Vincent from Pittsburgh.

I thought Vincent would be expensive, but nobody has shown intrest yet. I would love to have him. He had a very good season last year for the Steelers and he is YOUNG.

KB21 said:
Many of you seem upset that Miami hasn't jumped into the bidding wars for some of the top free agents on the market. The reason they haven't is that Nick Saban knows that free agency isn't the way to build a team.

The key to finding free agent talent is getting guys who aren't the big name guys. Guys who may be on the verge of breaking out. Typically, the unknown players that sign free agent contracts tend to be the best free agent signings. These are guys who are signed cheap and break out to become above average players.

From 1995 till this point, the best free agent signing the Miami Dolphins had isn't a big name player. It isn't Brock Marion. It isn't Kevin Donnalley. They were good free agent signings, but the best, IMO, was Brian Walker. Brian was a street free agent when Miami first got him in 1998. He became a ballhawking safety in the Dolphins system. He went on to sign a big contract with the Seahawks, got cut, came back to Miami, and lead the Dolphins in interceptions. Plus, he was a force in the run. He fit the Dolphins scheme very well, and he has been a non-descript player for other teams. Amazing how that happens, but it does.

Some of you may snub your nose at the Travares Tillman type of signings, but you just never know. Jamie Nails was a street free agent that played at a near pro bowl level until he injured his knee.

You can't go on big spending sprees in free agency. Miami tried that in 1995, and it didn't work. Washington has done that religously over the past few years, and it hasn't worked.

Teams are built through the draft, and they are augmented through free agency. New England won their first Superbowl by being frugal in free agency with the signings of unknown players like David Patten, Mike Compton, Joe Andruzzi, and Larry Izzo and veteran players like Roman Phifer and Ted Washington.

true........and they sure raise the asking price by paying out all that$ don't they

The key is to not over-pay for hyped players. It's better to get two good players than one "great" player...so choose wisely.

Seems most of the free agents that have either been here or contacted are defensive players...unless that change's...it could be a slight hint that we draft offense.

Keith....just wondering...do you buy that stuff about the Dolphins liking the O-line players? I'm having trouble with that...especially at left tackle and center...if the Dolphins get a 2nd for surtain...wanna bet they take a kid like Barnes. Green Bay did something strange today...after losing two players on the O-line...and obviously having cap room...they dumped a cornerback...are they making cap room for moving up the draft board....to replace Farve? It could get interesting.

Packers | Hawthorne Cut
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:33:34 -0800

The Green Bay Packers announced they have released CB Michael Hawthorne

Keith....just wondering...do you buy that stuff about the Dolphins liking the O-line players?

good question but i bet hudson H wants to see how he does with the existing talent before he goes after a major draft or FA...maybe next year?

Back
Top Bottom