The loss of Byron Jones the first 4 weeks kinda stings now... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The loss of Byron Jones the first 4 weeks kinda stings now...

ChitownPhins28

Basement Dweller
Reaction score
...because I really think we could've beaten Buffalo and maybe even Seattle if we had him, and then we'd have a GREAT chance at making the playoffs. The team that we became, almost instantly, with him back in the lineup is a playoff-caliber team.
i'm basing that off what we did vs San Fran compared to what San Fran has done since, and we Blanked the Jets who had Buffalo on the ropes for a lot that game this past Sunday. The way Josh Allen has struggled in recent weeks is the way he could've been much less effective against us if his receivers weren't Wide ****ing Open against us.

We'll see what this looks like moving forwards but our last 2 weeks have been So Different than our previous games and we look like a really tough NFL team to play against.

Jones got injured so early in week 1 that I consider that a game that he missed. FYI.

...because I really think we could've beaten Buffalo and maybe even Seattle if we had him, and then we'd have a GREAT chance at making the playoffs. The team that we became, almost instantly, with him back in the lineup is a playoff-caliber team.
i'm basing that off what we did vs San Fran compared to what San Fran has done since, and we Blanked the Jets who had Buffalo on the ropes for a lot that game this past Sunday. The way Josh Allen has struggled in recent weeks is the way he could've been much less effective against us if his receivers weren't Wide ****ing Open against us.

We'll see what this looks like moving forwards but our last 2 weeks have been So Different than our previous games and we look like a really tough NFL team to play against.

Jones got injured so early in week 1 that I consider that a game that he missed. FYI.
It probably did cost us a game, but better the first four than the last four, when we may be solidifying a postseason berth.

Take it easy bro. SF was depleted and the QB was playing hurt with every pass sailing on him and then we beat the jets. Lets wait till we beat some good teams that are not missing so many players.

...total cliche but all we can control is what's NOW!

All things considered -- it seems our reconstruction

project is going very well! That fact gives me confidence

Mister Grier and Flo (+ assorted minions) are so focused

on the project at hand we have zero need to look backwards!

And ------------- IF Grier & Flo are a legit NFL Power Couple

...well, we're in great shape as long as their relationship

stays strong! Another cliche --- it all starts at the top!

We’re in second place... let’s do this thing, past is past... we’ve got this.

Take it easy bro. SF was depleted and the QB was playing hurt with every pass sailing on him and then we beat the jets. Lets wait till we beat some good teams that are not missing so many players.
So I guess if a team is missing a couple of players that they're going to get blown out by us?

That's not a "take it easy bro". That means we're legitimately good already.

Byron Jones wasn't tasked with setting the edge. Byron Jones wasn't filling a run lane and not wrapping up.

The first 3 and a half weeks was a collective mess on the defensive side of the ball. Lawson and Van Noy were rightly dragged by many for their ineffective play and presence in concerns to the run defense.

And Miami is 3-3. Deal with what is, not what isn't.

I’ve been saying it all along, Igbo killed us in the Bills and Seahawks games more than anything else. I’m not saying we win either game with Jones. I’m just saying I remember in both contests we scratched and clawed ourselves back into the game and Igbo gave up big completions that were either TD’s or led to TD’s on the next series. That David Moore TD before the half was disgusting. Yes we’ve beaten 3 weak opponents, although leading up to the Jags game you would have thought they were a playoff contender they got so much damn hype, but I still think it will look different with Jones and Howard healthy. Bad CB play is about as common as bad QB play in today’s league. If we’re good in those 2 departments look out. 2 tough games on the horizon I’m excited to see how we do.

Byron Jones wasn't tasked with setting the edge. Byron Jones wasn't filling a run lane and not wrapping up.

The first 3 and a half weeks was a collective mess on the defensive side of the ball. Lawson and Van Noy were rightly dragged by many for their ineffective play and presence in concerns to the run defense.

All of that was bad, Pats game being the worst, but throw out all the automatic completions to Diggs and several blown coverages vs Seattle and we’d be able to live with that crap. There were HUGe back breaking easy completions in both games. Jones would have made a difference but yes we could still easily be 3-3.

So I guess if a team is missing a couple of players that they're going to get blown out by us?

That's not a "take it easy bro". That means we're legitimately good already.
I think what it amounts to, is that we can beat up on teams that don't have their $hit together.

It doesn't mean we are ready to run with the big boys to a conference title game, but we are quickly moving in that direction.

At this pace of building and development, I expect to be in that discussion this time next season.

While I do agree to an extent, it doesn’t take away from the original post. Both games were close, one score games, that could’ve been closer if a few big plays were prevented through the air

While Jones himself wouldn't help directly in those regards having another corner who can go to man coverage 1 on 1 and hold his own makes it a lot easier to throw extra players at the LOS to help accomplish those things.

To the OP, I feel he would have made a difference but unfortunately we'll never know. He's got a lot of season to make it up to us and it won't matter if he's an important piece to a playoff birth.

Back
Top Bottom