The Milloy situation -or- why this might not play out well for the Bills | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Milloy situation -or- why this might not play out well for the Bills

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
This move was overrated in my opinion. There is no doubt that Milloy is a solid safety, but in no way will he automatically just change the Bills entire team from a "playoff hope" to an automatic Super Bowl Champion (which most Bills fans are flooding with now.) Face the facts, he's a tackle-machine type safety, which is exactly what the Bills didn't need on their defense. They already had a safety (Coy Wire) like that who put up nearly identical statistics to Milloy last year. In fact, Wire actually put up better stats. If Milloy can not step up and force some turnovers, the Bills wasted 4 million dollars on someone they didn't need. The Bills secondary is VERY weak in the turnover area, and without Ray Lucas/Inj. Jay Fiedler last year, their entire unit would've ended up with two INT's. Hell, without Miami, the Bills wouldn't of had an INT until Week 16! Unless Milloy changes back to the way he was playing when he was 25 (he's turning 30 this November)-- then the Bills are in for a disappointment with this guy. If Milloy even averages what he's done the past three years, he'll come up AT BEST with a 1 INT, 1 FF season.

Now, I don't think this move will hurt New England talent wise as much as it does emotionally. Milloy was the captain of their team for god knows how long, and he leaves five days before their first game? Who do the new defensive guys look up to now? Rodney Harrison? He was just brought in this year. Ty Law? Maybe. But I think NE is going to come out crying on the field come Sunday which might give BUF the advantage, although I think NE is one of the strongest teams in the league.

If Buffalo signed a guy like Darren Sharper, Rod Woodson, John Lynch, Sammy Knight... guys who are known to consistently put up INT's every season; then I'd be singing a different story. I don't think he will fit well with the Bills DEF. I don't mean to be saying that it makes him less of a player, I just think that in the Bills tackle-heavy, turnover-low defense, Milloy will just mix in with the rest of the guys. He stood out so much in NE because of his insane amount of tackles every year. The worst part about that is, even his tackles have been steadily decreasing over the years. He's dropped about 10% of his tackles each year for the past three years.

And it might take weeks before Milloy can even play up to par with the Buffalo defense. He hasn't even touched a practice field with the team yet. He knows no defensive schemes, doesn't know how other players play on the field (how people react and move), nothing. If the Bills start him this week then they must be desperate for a safety to go out there and play. It'd probably be best if they sat him for the first three/four weeks, got him grounded, then put him out on the field.

Then again, I'm not a GM so what do I know.

Originally posted by Gonk
This move was overrated in my opinion. There is no doubt that Milloy is a solid safety, but in no way will he automatically just change the Bills entire team from a "playoff hope" to an automatic Super Bowl Champion (which most Bills fans are flooding with now.) Face the facts, he's a tackle-machine type safety, which is exactly what the Bills didn't need on their defense. They already had a safety (Coy Wire) like that who put up nearly identical statistics to Milloy last year. In fact, Wire actually put up better stats. If Milloy can not step up and force some turnovers, the Bills wasted 4 million dollars on someone they didn't need. The Bills secondary is VERY weak in the turnover area, and without Ray Lucas/Inj. Jay Fiedler last year, their entire unit would've ended up with two INT's. Hell, without Miami, the Bills wouldn't of had an INT until Week 16! Unless Milloy changes back to the way he was playing when he was 25 (he's turning 30 this November)-- then the Bills are in for a disappointment with this guy. If Milloy even averages what he's done the past three years, he'll come up AT BEST with a 1 INT, 1 FF season.

Now, I don't think this move will hurt New England talent wise as much as it does emotionally. Milloy was the captain of their team for god knows how long, and he leaves five days before their first game? Who do the new defensive guys look up to now? Rodney Harrison? He was just brought in this year. Ty Law? Maybe. But I think NE is going to come out crying on the field come Sunday which might give BUF the advantage, although I think NE is one of the strongest teams in the league.

If Buffalo signed a guy like Darren Sharper, Rod Woodson, John Lynch, Sammy Knight... guys who are known to consistently put up INT's every season; then I'd be singing a different story. I don't think he will fit well with the Bills DEF. I don't mean to be saying that it makes him less of a player, I just think that in the Bills tackle-heavy, turnover-low defense, Milloy will just mix in with the rest of the guys. He stood out so much in NE because of his insane amount of tackles every year. The worst part about that is, even his tackles have been steadily decreasing over the years. He's dropped about 10% of his tackles each year for the past three years.

And it might take weeks before Milloy can even play up to par with the Buffalo defense. He hasn't even touched a practice field with the team yet. He knows no defensive schemes, doesn't know how other players play on the field (how people react and move), nothing. If the Bills start him this week then they must be desperate for a safety to go out there and play. It'd probably be best if they sat him for the first three/four weeks, got him grounded, then put him out on the field.

If the salary #'s are correct, they seriously over paid for him. He was never as good as what he's getting paid right now.

Oliver...

Milloy will get his chances to make plays in LeBeaus' defense.. Their defense consists of alot of zone coverages when blitzing heavily.. Lawyer Milloy is a solid Safety in the NFL and is an upgrade over what they had there.. Everything you said about Milloy could be said about Seau.. Except, Seau has been with Miami practically all mini camp.. Milloy will now exploit the entire Patriots defensive scheme to the Bills and tell them their tendencies... I won't be surprised if the Bills win against the Patriots in 4 days..

Has got too have a negative psycological effect on the Pats. It also has too have them concerned about their playbook secrets as well. Changes will have too be made. Have too hand it too him he did well money wise but wish some other team had gotten him. Wonder when they will put him in the lineup.

Originally posted by Gonk

:rofl:

Nobody is saying now that Milloy is w/ us, we are going to the sb. You're the only one who brought that up. :lol:

Milloy is nothing but an upgrade to what we had. Kinda like the Seau situation. No one's saying (well there are a few finfans who say otherwise) that the fins are going to the sb simply because of Seau or that he is just about to peak. He's just an upgrade over Rogers.

Another thing, the Pats are playing unknowns to take his place. Eitherways , I'm happy that we don't face Milloy (whether we signed him or not) who is quite familiar with Drew as well.

I sense you posted that out of worry, obviously. :lol: Don't worry about the bills just yet. Concentrate on the Texans. Don't overlook them. I hope your team gets overconfident and lose their first home game in a long time. :D.

I do however wish your team a healthy season but an unsuccessful one . :D

May the best team win.

Sorry, but even though I love my Fins, that was a great move by the Bills. No spinning this one. Their D just got better.

Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
Sorry, but even though I love my Fins, that was a great move by the Bills. No spinning this one. Their D just got better.

Like he said "it got better". No one's saying we're winning the sb, Gonk. Milloy, Reese, Wire and Proileau. All of a sudden we have depth at safety. :D

Finally an honest Dolphin fan! :)

Yup they improved, how could they not at that position?

I think it will come back to bite them on their butt, they seriously over paid for a guy that has been on a serious decline in his career since 1999. Then again Bledsoe was on a serious decline and after the Pats traded him he wanted to show the world he still had it. I guess we'll just have to see how this turns out. But as far as Milloy, he has never given the Dolphins any problems.

Oliver...

Better hope he comes up with some INTs or something for what you are paying em ;). It was an upgrade for the Bills and it actually helped us I believe, because I think the Pats were more of a challenge then Buffalo. We'll see how it all pans out. . .

Like I said in the other post, I think the Bills are now better than the Pats with this move. They should finish in second place....behind us!

This move upgraded their D, but it did not make them "Superbowl" caliber, just a little better.

However, the :billsbite
:billsbite :billsbite

This may have made the Bills D better, but he is going to be as effective as possible because he hasn't had a training camp with the defense and is going to have absolutely no chemistry with the other defenders on the team.

Originally posted by Oliver

Yup they improved, how could they not at that position?

I think it will come back to bite them on their butt, they seriously over paid for a guy that has been on a serious decline in his career since 1999. Then again Bledsoe was on a serious decline and after the Pats traded him he wanted to show the world he still had it. I guess we'll just have to see how this turns out. But as far as Milloy, he has never given the Dolphins any problems.

Oliver...

Sure anyone the bills hire is overpaid and a has been. Anyone the fins hired is just about to peak.

Seau, who will get $6 million this year, has said that he needs the Dolphins more than they need him

:lol: Talk about overpaid. Let's see how the miami weather treats this 34 yr. old player who's just about to peak.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
This may have made the Bills D better, but he is going to be as effective as possible because he hasn't had a training camp with the defense and is going to have absolutely no chemistry with the other defenders on the team.

He doesn't have to make a sudden impact. Coy Wire and Proileau are doing well. They are not in the class of Milloy (yet, Wire will be a probowler someday. Barring injuries. Ms. Cleo told me) but they are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom