The mock offseason of substantial impossibility | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The mock offseason of substantial impossibility

I like your plan. It seemed almost too good to be true until I saw how weak it kept the Dolphins at LB and with no depth at safety. One injury and Michael Thomas is a starter? Yikes!

I like your plan. It seemed almost too good to be true until I saw how weak it kept the Dolphins at LB and with no depth at safety. One injury and Michael Thomas is a starter? Yikes!
I agree whole heartedly.

yes need back up QB and true FS through draft or FA
Any chance we could groom Lippett as a FS?

You just can't ignore QB and call it an off season. A big part of things going forward is QB, starter, back up and practice squad. If we didn't learn that lesson by the events of last season then we are in real trouble. DRAFT A QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Davenport was there we'd be off to a good start come draft day.

Fumagalli and Griffin are the two players that I want soooo bad. Mostly because I think they will be underrated by scouts and will perform well enough for ten year careers in the NFL, in my opinion.

Both these guys would become leaders of their sides of the ball if given the opportunity to shine

Round 4a: Shaquem Griffin, OLB, UCF—I truly believe he gets drafted higher than the 4th round, but not many draft websites are projecting him higher than round 5. He only has one hand, but if you watched any UCF games, you'd know what an impact player he is. He's great in coverage, but also has an insane ability to get to the quarterback, considering he's undersized at about 225 pounds. Miami could definitely use him in sub packages and on third down in a multitude of ways.

He just weighed in at the Senior Bowl at just over 6'-0" and 225 lbs.

Round 4a: Shaquem Griffin, OLB, UCF—I truly believe he gets drafted higher than the 4th round, but not many draft websites are projecting him higher than round 5. He only has one hand, but if you watched any UCF games, you'd know what an impact player he is. He's great in coverage, but also has an insane ability to get to the quarterback, considering he's undersized at about 225 pounds. Miami could definitely use him in sub packages and on third down in a multitude of ways.

He just weighed in at just over 6 ft and 222 lbs.

After reading the OP again I realized your first 4 picks would immediately contribute. When was the last time that happened in Miami?

I actually saw a mock last night after I finished this that mocked Shaquem Griffin to the Patriots at the end of the second round, so I don't think it will take long for teams to realize that Griffin is a monster, and having one hand is truly a minor detail. He does so many things well. Put him at weakside linebacker and you'll have a star on your defense for 10 years. Plus, he'll never have to come off the field because of his ability to rush the passer AND cover.

I'm no fortune teller. I wouldn't even call myself smart. But here's my take at a mock offseason of moves that make sense to me (but probably won't happen).

Cuts: Lawrence Timmons (5.475M saved 2.75M dead), Julius Thomas (6.6M saved)
Restructure: Wake (not quite sure how the contract would work but go from an 8.6M to a 5M cap hit)

Our own:
Jarvis Landry-Not worth $15M a year, so he leaves in free agency.
Ja'Wuan James-pretty sure Miami dropped his 5th year option. I think they'll let him walk and replace him with Jesse Davis.
Sam Young-sign for 1 year, $1.25M
Cody Parkey-sign for 2 years, $2M
Michael Thomas-1 year, $1.25M

As for the rest, Miami's restricted free agents aren't worth the price tag of an original round tender (which will be close to $2M for a one-year deal).

Room left for draft and free agency: $35M

Free agency:

Jeremy Hill, RB: 1 year, $2M—young back that had success early and definitely fell flat as of late.
Marqise Lee, WR: 3 years, $18M (10 gtd, $4M first year cap hit)—not a number 1 receiver but would definitely be capable in a WR committee.
Justin Pugh, G/T: 4 years, $36M (17 gtd, $7M first year cap hit)—played mostly right tackle for the Giants this past season but I'm pretty sure his natural position is left guard. He'd probably help a lot being next to Tunsil, as well.
Joe Berger, C/G: 1 year, $2M—old veteran (36 years old) but insurance for Pouncey and very solid depth.
Avery Williamson, SLB: 3 years, $15M (7.5 gtd, $3.5M first year cap hit)—young strongside linebacker who played decently well for Tennessee
Trey Burton, TE: 3 years, $24M (12 gtd, $6M first year cap hit)—this is kind of a pipe dream, but I think he'd thrive in this offense and be very capable of being that missing piece.

$10.5M left after free agency

Draft:
Round 1: Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA—raw and from a small school, but with some grooming he could be a great DE
Round 2: Braden Smith, G, Auburn—finalizes the offensive line overhaul
Round 3: Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin—another weapon for an offense that loses its top target in Jarvis Landry
Round 4b: Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State—decent WR prospect with solid college production
Round 6: Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama—Not sure he lasts this long, but he's a bruiser.

Projected starters and such:
QB: Ryan Tannehill
RB: Kenyan Drake, Jeremy Hill, Bo Scarbrough
TE: Trey Burton, Troy Fumagalli, Marquis Grey
WR: Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker, Marqise Lee, Michael Gallup, Jakeem Grant
LT: Laremy Tunsil
LG: Justin Pugh
C: Mike Pouncey, Joe Berger
RG: Braden Smith
RT: Jesse Davis
DE: Charles Harris, Cameron Wake, Marcus Davenport, Andre Branch
DT: Suh, Phillips, Godchaux, Vincent Taylor
LB: Kiko Alonso, Raekwon McMillan, Avery Williamson, Shaquem Griffin
CB: Xavien Howard, Tony Lippett, Cordrea Tankersly, Bobby McCain
S: Reshad Jones, TJ McDonald, Michael Thomas

There you have it. Flame away.

Wake can't be restructured like that without an extension. I wouldn't mind, however, he is a little old for that kind of move.\

Michael Thomas was just awarded PFF's special teams player of the year. He will get at least twice that much on the open market, and a ST's teams guy has to take the money when he has his chance.

Hill? Just why? The RB corps is really weak. Really weak. Not acceptable. Check Bo Scarborough in PFF's signature stats, I think they are free for last year. You will change your mind.

Marquise Lee has more injury problems than Parker. Why give him all that money? What does he really do all that well? What elite physical gits does he have?

Justin Pugh has played one full season in five years. He has a back injury. OL guys with back injuries are a big red flag.

Joe Berger is retiring. We should have kept him and Evan Mathis when we had them, huh?

Avery Williamson...https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-space-heading-into-2018-offseason/ar-AAuWrQs
Titans are sitting pretty. After they release DeMarco Murray and a couple other moves they will have cap room galore. If they want to keep him he won't hit the market. He had a great season. A much better season than a lot of other Titan defenders. This one is highly unlikely to hit the market.

Trey Burton the big hot name on the market. An undersized TE or a big y-receiver? Either way, Dolphins are in no position to make this move. There will be a bidding war, and this guys body of work is severely lacking. This is a risk that one of the many teams with over 60 mil in cap are going to take.

Davenport DE two years in a row with the first round pick is just really really unlikely. They are going to give Harris a chance to develop. I'm not saying they aren't going to draft the position, it just isn't going to be at #11, after using our 1st round pick on DE last year. Not with Wake coming off another double digit sack year and Branch under contract at 10 mil a year.

Braden Smith Great pick

Fumagalli Don't like those really short arms a TE and he would be a big reach in the 3rd

Griffin Awful light man, awful light. Maybe Burke has some new ideas and schemes that would make a kid like that useful, otherwise,ST's.

Michael Gallup 4b Wow man, gotta cry big foul here. This guy is universally pegged 2nd round except for the pundits mocking him in the first.
http://mwwire.com/2018/01/21/2018-nfl-mock-draft-michael-gallup-first-round/

Scarborough? Yuck, there is no talent there. I'd rather sign Legarrette Blount for chunk change and draft Bo's buddy Harris next year; now that kid is a difference maker.

It really offends me when fans diminish the importance of finding depth and developmental players in the 7th round. We have two picks.....why did you peter out?

Dude, you can't have just one injured QB on your roster.

Back
Top Bottom