The O, All Resentment Aside.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The O, All Resentment Aside....

pacresjt

Active Roster
Reaction score
First I don’t support Gase or Tannahill. I have trusted in them in the past but have been calling for their heads since about mid season. This is what I see is wrong with the O.......

We need Big, Strong Non Injury Prone Linemen and we need to have about 7-8 solid interchangeable starters. We don’t need Hall of Famers. I’d go so far to say 3-4 Solid Journeymen making like 6 Mill a year and 3-4 first contract solid players. We have seen mediocre LT keep up with the top DE when they are on a solid O Line.

It all starts there because this team has fielded 3 - 2nd or 3rd man up in the middle of the line pretty much all year. This keeps our TE and RB in to block or pickup Blitzers. The next problem is we are fielding 3 First year with the Team TE’s and RB’s. There is no continuity with And lots of missed assignments. What’s worse than the fact they aren’t doing their job? Well they can’t go out for passes when we keep them in. It’s terrible we got like 8-10 guys who haven’t spend a half a season together as a unit making mistakes all over the place, staying in to block while still missing assignments.

Finally, we are sending 2-3 guys into routes being covered by 6-7 defenders. Oh boy, you need time to find those holes and since we all know the QB is on the ground or trying to buy enough time to throw it away within 2.6 seconds the offense looks terrible. Sure we have a couple of guys slip out here and there but remember now that’s 3-4 route runners to 6-7 defenders and that’s why they are hit right away for a loss or no gain.

It’s all won in the trenches. Sure the QB could do a better job of calling some audibles or have good communication with his WR to make an adjustment. Sure the coach could move the pocket or have more movement to counter some of these problems but that’s where the penalties come in.

Our talent department sucks because well they can’t find that group of 7-8 guys like we need so they need to be replaced to. Want to know why we have been having this problem for like 100 years? Because the talent people aren’t let go like coaching staffs. We retain a lot of those guys. Time to clean up the scouting department.

Sure Gase and Tannahill could call better plays or make a play here or there but that’s just not sustainable over 60 min to give us a chance to win. There have been enough boneheaded calls and plays that neither Gase or Tannahill deserve to stay but unless we fix this problem, our problems aren’t going anywhere. The last year has been a symptom of the problem as a whole and we need to do this for the D Line also. Trade anyone of Value, get better and more picks to trade up and get better journeymen and when we find the Franchise, Alpha or Seam TE, we will be ready to pounce and make a run. Pay like 3 guys on each side of the ball and use this philosophy and we can be consistent every year. That’s my 2 cents.

The trenches on both sides need a massive infusion of talent. The entire DL needs to be rebuilt. We've failed on Dion Jordan and looks like Charles Harris is also a bust with 3 sacks in 2yrs. With our undersized LBs we need some DTs that eat up blockers to let the LBs make tackles. I get the sense the team is drafting best player available but when they get said player they don't fit our scheme or are one of these hybrid players that doesn't excel at any single position and they spin it off as they are flexible, a weapon we can move around, etc.
On offense other than the 2 tackle positions we need upgrades. I'm not sure I'd count on Josh Sitton next year at 33.

Reactions: BSQ
We need 3 Zach Thomases, 2 JTs, and 2 Timbos. I wish we had this defense again. I hate that Harris is what he is right now, but a new DC may be able to help him. I thought Kocurek was going to get Harris going, unfortunately I admit, Harris may be unfixable.

Who's Tannahill? You spelt Gase right though. Well done.

I've been lambasted before but I'll stick to my guns about this roster being devoid of talent at too many key positions.

The trenches on both sides need a massive infusion of talent. The entire DL needs to be rebuilt. We've failed on Dion Jordan and looks like Charles Harris is also a bust with 3 sacks in 2yrs. With our undersized LBs we need some DTs that eat up blockers to let the LBs make tackles. I get the sense the team is drafting best player available but when they get said player they don't fit our scheme or are one of these hybrid players that doesn't excel at any single position and they spin it off as they are flexible, a weapon we can move around, etc.
On offense other than the 2 tackle positions we need upgrades. I'm not sure I'd count on Josh Sitton next year at 33.
I’m not sold on James as a starter and definitely not for 10 Mill. He was on the bad side of too many Sacks, pressures, hurries, missed assignments and penalties this year, especially for his price tag! He is one of those 3-4 Joirneymen guys at 6 Mill I’m talking about
And preferably a swing tackle for injuries. He’s just one of the best of our bad, not nearly physical enough.

Tunsil had a lot of hype this year, sure he did well but he is not dominanting anyone. He’s had plenty of miscues and tons of pressure covered up by other guys man getting there first. He one of those first contract guys I’m talking about and he is definitely a starter but all this pro bowl talk I believe was masked like I said by other guys getting their first. It was a damn free for all in our backfield this year. I’d place 3-4 losses squarely on O Line play.

You know that guy who has no pocket presence and can’t convert a 3rd down to cure cancer.
I'll answer that with a quote from your post.....

Finally, we are sending 2-3 guys into routes being covered by 6-7 defenders. Oh boy, you need time to find those holes and since we all know the QB is on the ground or trying to buy enough time to throw it away within 2.6 seconds the offense looks terrible.

While your defeating your own argument, I happen to think you are correct. Tannehill has sucked these last 3 games in a big way, but the offensive game plan hasn't helped him one bit. I used to be infuriated with watching Wes Welker catch a slant or crossing pattern 5 yards from the LOS and run for another 20......we do nothing of the sort. We don't involve the TE, we don't have hot reads to beat the blitz and we don't take enough shots deep to soften the defense. It is all one big Sh&^%$ sandwich, and we all have to take a bite!

"at too many key positions" is the crux...

But I disagree. Miami has talent, and isn't "devoid" of talent. I can agree Miami has some average players at some critical positions, but that's not "devoid." Now, CB? OG? Yeah, I'll go with devoid. But "too many critical positions? I disagree

I'll answer that with a quote from your post.....

Finally, we are sending 2-3 guys into routes being covered by 6-7 defenders. Oh boy, you need time to find those holes and since we all know the QB is on the ground or trying to buy enough time to throw it away within 2.6 seconds the offense looks terrible.

While your defeating your own argument, I happen to think you are correct. Tannehill has sucked these last 3 games in a big way, but the offensive game plan hasn't helped him one bit. I used to be infuriated with watching Wes Welker catch a slant or crossing pattern 5 yards from the LOS and run for another 20......we do nothing of the sort. We don't involve the TE, we don't have hot reads to beat the blitz and we don't take enough shots deep to soften the defense. It is all one big Sh&^%$ sandwich, and we all have to take a bite!
Ya, I’ll agree with you and that’s the maddening part about it all. For all the problems there is plenty of cover for Tannahill to take as far as blame goes but when he does get that rare opportunity he sure does mis it. If he just hit a few a game I would be ok with him but unfortunately when we need that drive or those cushion points to seal the deal it seems he can never get it done, he won’t throw the ball to the safety valve hoping he can make a move, he’ll just heave it deep or an off target pass to a double covered WR. It’s always got to be hold on to the ball too long, no pocket awareness and step to the left and make a play or use his feet. That’s why he’s got to go too!

Finally, we are sending 2-3 guys into routes being covered by 6-7 defenders. Oh boy, you need time to find those holes and since we all know the QB is on the ground or trying to buy enough time to throw it away within 2.6 seconds the offense looks terrible. Sure we have a couple of guys slip out here and there but remember now that’s 3-4 route runners to 6-7 defenders and that’s why they are hit right away for a loss or no gain.

It’s all won in the trenches. Sure the QB could do a better job of calling some audibles or have good communication with his WR to make an adjustment. Sure the coach could move the pocket or have more movement to counter some of these problems but that’s where the penalties come in.

You know who else gets the ball away in around 2.5 seconds? Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers......minor difference being that they usually know where the ball is going before its snapped. We've seen some really good offenses these last few years operating behind average offensive lines.

The offensive line was pretty good before all the injuries and not so good after. But its rather silly to lay all the woes of this team at the feet of the big men. This team was mediocre when they were playing well paving the way for a potent rushing attack and mediocre after.

Back
Top Bottom