The Official 2008 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2008 Boston Red Sox Thread

I spoke to someone in the Red Sox front office last night, a couple of things:

-The Sox are happy that a) the Yankees didn't get Santana and b) he's out of the AL.

-I asked him if the Sox were ever serious about Santana and he told me if the price was right (the players they had to trade and the contract both dollars and years) they would have listened. But they wouldn't have went more than 5 years with Santana and that there was no way they'd pay him 25 million.

-Told me that a lot of the Sox scouts had major concerns about Santana's elbow and shoulder. Apparently Santana threw 70% less sliders he did in previous years and when he did throw sliders they were flat and hittable. He also didn't have the movement on his pitches he had in the past. The scouts said he could get away with not throwing as many sliders because of his excellent change up however once he loses a few MPH on his fastball he'd be hittable and pitch to contact a lot more (ala Schilling last year). Basically he'd be a different pitcher. He also said scouts noticed other things about wouldn't say what when I asked.

-Told me that there are absolutely no plans to ever build a new Fenway Park while John Henry is the owner. The owners are 100% committed to keeping Fenway and just improving it. (This disappointed me, I love Fenway but I definitely think they need a new stadium- basically exactly like the old Fenway but bigger aisles, more seats, better food options, more bathrooms, etc).

-Also Johnny Pesky's number (#6) is probably going to be retired this year. Right now the rule on retired numbers is the player has to be in the MLB Hall of Fame as a Red Sox (Fisk is an exception) but the Sox new rule is if a player has been wearing a Sox uniform for over 50 years his number could be retired. Pesky's number should have been retired years ago and hopefully this is true and his number gets retired right away.

That's all the info I got, he wouldn't comment about possible trades (Coco, Tavaras) or signings.

I really can't see us moving Coco now unless some team offers us something good. I don't think we have to move him, although if he starts the year badly again he will have no trade value.

I really can't see us moving Coco now unless some team offers us something good. I don't think we have to move him, although if he starts the year badly again he will have no trade value.

Coco would be an excellent 4th OFer for the Sox however that's something he doesn't want to be (I can't really blame him but he has no business starting over Ellsbury).

I still think Coco has value however I do think the Sox waited too long, they should have dealt him to a team in November or December before all of the FA CFers signed with teams.

I wonder if a team like Seattle would trade Jeff Clement (catching prospect) for Coco and move Ichiro back to RF. I think that's more wishful thinking on my part.

One rumor I'm hearing is Coco to Cubs for Matt Murton (former Sox prospect traded in the Nomar deal in 04, apparently Lou Pinella doesn't like Murton or Felix Pie much in CF).

Sox signed Sean Casey (1st base) to a 700k contract. I like the signing, Casey is a pro and a pretty good singles hitter. He signed cheap and is a pretty good clubhouse guy too. Hopefully with him there it gives Francona a chance to rest Youk a lot more this year so Youk doesn't hit the wall in the 2nd half.

Sox signed Sean Casey (1st base) to a 700k contract. I like the signing, Casey is a pro and a pretty good singles hitter. He signed cheap and is a pretty good clubhouse guy too. Hopefully with him there it gives Francona a chance to rest Youk a lot more this year so Youk doesn't hit the wall in the 2nd half.

Sweet, great signing, I was hoping to get Casey.

As much as I don't want to move Crisp for something crappy, I just can't see him being happy not playing. If we play Crisp to start the season and he does bad, he will have zero value.

Just saw news of the Casey signing on ESPN, very solid acquisition. :up:

I hope Crisp sticks around he would be a great 4th outfielder but if we do trade him I hope it isn't for a crap player. Great signing of Casey now we have a quality backup for Youkilis.

Some reading for an otherwise boring Saturday:

For anyone that's interested in the Red Sox farm system, Baseball America ranked them #2 in all of baseball (Tampa Bay Rays were #1), Baseball Prospectus just came out with their top 100 minor leaguers: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7092

Red Sox had 7 guys in the top 100 (tied for most players in top 100 with A's and Rangers).

2. Clay Buchholz
16. Jacoby Ellsbury
53. Justin Masterson
57. Jed Lowrie
60. Ryan Kalish
95. Michael Bowden
100. Lars Anderson

Only buzzkill on the list is that Engle Beltre was #62, that's one of the players the Sox traded for Gagne.

But that's a pretty good list the Sox have. Maybe people feel that Masterson will be up this year and will turn into a very good set up guy. Right now he's a starter but he only has 2 plus pitches (sinker, slider) so he'd be more effective in the pen. Lowrie could also be up sometime this year too and could put pressure on the Sox FO to deal Lugo so he'd take over SS full time by 2009.

Kalish, Bowden and Anderson are all really young and a few years away. Anderson is going to be a big time prospect though, he was a high school first baseman with a pretty good glove but huge power up side.

Another really good site for info on Sox prospects is: http://www.soxprospects.com/index.html

Sox signed Kielty to a non-guaranteed contract. If he makes the team he'll get 800k, if he doesn't, the Sox can just cut him.

My gut tells me that Theo is working on a Coco deal now and they have a gentlemen's agreement with Kielty much like they did back in August when he signed with the Sox.

Either way nice move by the Sox.

It's good to be back! Thanks for the thread NJ.

At the risk of sounding un-manly, I kind of missed my FH Red Sox pals like In Flames, Monsters, RI, Patsy, Brown and the other Sox fans I apologize but we're back now!

And we're also the defending champs and hopefully a dynasty in the making.

love ths sig..the dynasty will continue especially with the baby sox on the team...a whole season for ellsbury i cant wait to see what he does

Sox signed Kielty to a non-guaranteed contract. If he makes the team he'll get 800k, if he doesn't, the Sox can just cut him.

My gut tells me that Theo is working on a Coco deal now and they have a gentlemen's agreement with Kielty much like they did back in August when he signed with the Sox.

Either way nice move by the Sox.

coco is way better defensely then kielty but dont forget bobby ph hr in the 8th gave the sox the final run they needed to close it out also he had a great series vs sabathia and the indians in the 2 games he played i rather keep him around for his stick more then coco defense....also dont forget brandon moss in the mix played was learning to play 1b in the offseason..i wish the sox give him a try dont get me wrong i love the casey signing but i think he is a decent ballplayer

love ths sig..the dynasty will continue especially with the baby sox on the team...a whole season for ellsbury i cant wait to see what he does

Welcome aboard, hopefully you stay and chat with the other Sox fans all year.

I'm not going to call the Sox a dynasty just yet, it's extremely tough to not only get into the playoffs but get through 3 rounds of tough competition. But I do like the Sox chances this year.

coco is way better defensely then kielty but dont forget bobby ph hr in the 8th gave the sox the final run they needed to close it out also he had a great series vs sabathia and the indians in the 2 games he played i rather keep him around for his stick more then coco defense....also dont forget brandon moss in the mix played was learning to play 1b in the offseason..i wish the sox give him a try dont get me wrong i love the casey signing but i think he is a decent ballplayer

In a perfect world, Coco would be the 4th OFer and be happy about it, but Coco doesn't want to be a back up player. With that being said there's no way Coco should start over Jacoby after he lost his job to him in October. I'd rather keep both Coco and Kielty and have Moss play another full year at Triple A.

In a perfect world, Coco would be the 4th OFer and be happy about it, but Coco doesn't want to be a back up player. With that being said there's no way Coco should start over Jacoby after he lost his job to him in October. I'd rather keep both Coco and Kielty and have Moss play another full year at Triple A.

dont worry i will be here all year...as far as coco goes nad kielty only room for 1 of them with the bench looking like this..mirabelli,casey,cora who can play 3b in a pinch and tito loves him and take your pick..coco or kielty i think i want the better bat and remember that hr he toke away last year at fenway...fair ia fair coco had his chance and blew it..remember with jacoby in the starting lineup the rest of the way they were 7-0..not many people remember that..gotta keep kielty..decent of,,can play all the of positions love his bat and has great patience at plate

Coco is gunna be traded. I am sure the Sox are just waiting on the right deal to come along.

Thanks for the great news in this thread guys!

Back
Top Bottom