The Official 2009 NBA Playoff Predictions thread | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2009 NBA Playoff Predictions thread

Looking forward Nuggets vs. Cavs in the Finals.

Cavs in 5 or 6.
Nuggets in 6 or 7.

Have to see how the series go before I pick a winner in the Finals. Should be the most exciting Finals since Bulls vs. Jazz.

I am going to keep my eyes of the refs in both of these series. You think the NBA would like to have it be Kobe vs. LeBron in the Finals? The league would probably make 10's of millions more on a Lakers vs. Cavs series then any involving Denver or Orlando. The economy doesn't ease my suspicion.

I'm not one to say the NBA is rigged, but I don't think it's as crazy a notion as I did before.

Lakers eek out game 1...Nuggets still look like the better team to me.Nuggets are very physical.They shoot a better percentage from the line and they win this one.

Nuggets in 7.

Was scratching my head when they re-signed him and now I'm scratching even harder. Carter is pure trash. JR was bad tonight too. This one sucks like hell with how well they played pretty much the whole way but I still had a feeling they would find a way to blow it.

Was scratching my head when they re-signed him and now I'm scratching even harder. Carter is pure trash. JR was bad tonight too. This one sucks like hell with how well they played pretty much the whole way but I still had a feeling they would find a way to blow it.

I kind of blame that on Karl a little as well. He should have had them better prepared coming out of that time out. They could have simply thrown the ball into the back court. There was plenty of time on the clock.......

Denver had no business losing that game. They blew it. I still think they are a more cohesive unit than the Lakers right now and expect them to win the series.

Originally Posted by Chauncey Billups article in SI

When he arrives, Chauncey isn't sure what to make of the Nuggets. On paper, he adores their talent. He's worked out with the unpredictable J.R. Smith in the past, and has told people Smith can be an All-Star. But his worry is tempo, decision-making. He hates disorganized. "The way they played before I got here was erratic," Chauncey says. "I call it dysfunctional. No discipline. I need some stability. I can't play like that. This game means too much to me."

Karl calls a meeting to introduce Chauncey, who tells his new teammates, "Look, I'm here to win. I ain't here to do a lot of talking. I'll walk the walk, and hopefully y'all be the same way, and we'll be on the same page."

Next, they go over all of the team's plays. Chauncey nods, but, inside, he has a sick feeling. For instance, the Nuggets don't have an underneath-the-basket out-of-bounds play. This isn't high school. He can't throw the ball off someone's back and dunk it. What's going on here?

The Pepsi Center, Denver, Nov. 7, 2008

Chauncey's driving to the arena -- from Poplar Street -- for his Nuggets debut against the Mavs, and as he approaches the arena, he sees "Welcome Home" signs and his picture on a billboard. He's got something special for his hometown fans tonight: When he peels off his warm-up suit after introductions, they see his number: No. 7. For John Elway. He wants to be their John Elway.

Chauncey is Denver, through and through, and he senses playing at home is going to work this time. Most of the friends and family who begged for tickets 10 years before are older, married and self-sufficient. The knuckleheads are no longer in his life. He can just play ball. Ray and Faye, married 35 years, are seated in the fifth row. Ray keeps checking his watch. He still needs to get up at 3:30 for work the next morning. Here's Chauncey in his 12th year in the NBA, and here's Ray is in his 32nd year in a Safeway warehouse. Ray plans to retire at the end of the season, but not now. Go figure.

After halftime, Chauncey nods to his parents … and starts to attack. He hits an 18-footer and a 3-pointer to start the third period. Always the third quarter, just like in Detroit. He wants this game badly, to prove to the Pistons, to everybody, he's not done. He had spoken to Hamilton earlier in the day, before the Pistons played at New Jersey, and told Hamilton, jokingly, "Hope you lose." Hamilton laughed back.

With 2:54 left in the fourth quarter, the Nuggets are clinging to a 99-98 lead, when the ball goes out of bounds to the Nuggets underneath their own basket. Chauncey's fear is realized. The team has no out-of-bounds play. Karl just wants them to improvise, to use their basketball instincts, but Chauncey can't live that way. So he calls time.

In the huddle, they're all stumped. Smith tells Anthony: "He just got here, and he's calling timeouts?" But Chauncey waves them close and starts in: "Look, George, I need you to draw me up an out-of-bounds play, man, to get the ball in. Because if we don't and we turn the ball over and lose this game because we didn't have something, that just won't sit well with me."

Back
Top Bottom