The OL Mix and Match Has To Stop Soon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The OL Mix and Match Has To Stop Soon

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I understand that Benton needs some time to sort things out. The Pouncey deal really hurt, as we likely do not sign Colledge without the injury, and Shelly is in the OG mix. Albert and James barring a disaster in preseason) ate set at OT, and Pouncey will add stability hopefully sooner than later. Colledge looks to be the starting LOG but, there is still competition there, as well as ROG with Dallas, Shelly, Brenner, and maybe Turner.

The 5 starters need to know what the guy next to him is doing, as do the RB's to read blocks. Fitting Pouncey back in will be tuff enough with guys he has not played with. We need to have the other 4 on the same page. Hopefully we can do this before preseason game #2.

Whn u add one good lineman and a bunch of backups what does anyone expect

I think finding the right group is even more important than giving them time to mesh. What good does time do for them if the group isn't right?

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk

I think finding the right group is even more important than giving them time to mesh. What good does time do for them if the group isn't right?

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk

Chicken vs egg debate. I'm going with the chicken here. :)

Meh, We all know it's not going to be pretty for the beginning of the season, so the more overall experience players have along the line is better down the road for injury fill ins. For a true line to gel it will take a solid year together anyways.

If you don't have 5 guys that are worthy of starting, it really won't matter. At this point, you could give them 10 years together and they would probably still suck...

Whn u add one good lineman and a bunch of backups what does anyone expect

With film and camp, I would think that coaches should be able to know which side an OG is best at. Benton said the same on Colledge being a LG, although with a long track record. Philbin admitted to making a mistake in not giving Dallas a position to learn and play last year.

I have no problem with trying out different combinations, and I expect it to continue into the 2nd preseason game. Once these guys know the playbook, it wont matter where they line up. We weren't giving up many sacks last year because of blown assignments. I'm not worried about these guys learning more than one position.

The coaches want OL that can be versatile and play multiple positions. Now is the time to find out who can do this and where they can play. Never know when in the season because of injuries a player may have to play a different position. You want to know before the season who can play where. Soon enough the starters will settle in.

I'll be interested to see if Colledge can hold down that spot with Smith coming over and practicing there. I was actually hoping Thomas would be at LG not RG. He seems better suited for LG with his movement abilities. Turner better suited for RG. If it ends up being Albert-Smith-Satele-Turner-James I think we may look pretty good even with two rooks on the right side. IF its Colledge in at LG and Smith at RG it still looks good especially if injuries happen. Just wish they had Thomas battling and training at LG instead of RG and RT.

I'll be interested to see if Colledge can hold down that spot with Smith coming over and practicing there. I was actually hoping Thomas would be at LG not RG. He seems better suited for LG with his movement abilities. Turner better suited for RG. If it ends up being Albert-Smith-Satele-Turner-James I think we may look pretty good even with two rooks on the right side. IF its Colledge in at LG and Smith at RG it still looks good especially if injuries happen. Just wish they had Thomas battling and training at LG instead of RG and RT.

Shelly was dealt a pretty bad hand in the failed attempt on moving him to center, and has some time to make up.

The coaches want OL that can be versatile and play multiple positions. Now is the time to find out who can do this and where they can play. Never know when in the season because of injuries a player may have to play a different position. You want to know before the season who can play where. Soon enough the starters will settle in.

Agreed. As I've posted before, I think 3 of the 5 positions (LT, RT, & LG) have already been determined.

Back
Top Bottom