The OL Mix and Match Has To Stop Soon | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The OL Mix and Match Has To Stop Soon

We'll be adjusting less each week but I don't think our line will solidify completely all year. Five new faces equals problems and the line coach has to find the best five, then mesh them, then keep them healthy. This isnt a 1 year job man. Add ro it Poncey coming in late and cold with a new O. If we're serviceable at all ill shLt roses.

I understand that Benton needs some time to sort things out. The Pouncey deal really hurt, as we likely do not sign Colledge without the injury, and Shelly is in the OG mix. Albert and James barring a disaster in preseason) ate set at OT, and Pouncey will add stability hopefully sooner than later. Colledge looks to be the starting LOG but, there is still competition there, as well as ROG with Dallas, Shelly, Brenner, and maybe Turner.

The 5 starters need to know what the guy next to him is doing, as do the RB's to read blocks. Fitting Pouncey back in will be tuff enough with guys he has not played with. We need to have the other 4 on the same page. Hopefully we can do this before preseason game #2.

I agree. It's nice having guys who can move around in the event of an emergency. But we need guys who know where they are going to play. They need to start focusing on their specific position. Moving guys around leads to missed blocking assignments and Tanny getting sacked just as much as last year.

Plenty of time to mesh.. Moving guys around now is great IMO. You say "need to know what the next guy is doing" what better way then knowing multiple
Positions? Benton has plenty of time. The guys with versatility know multiple positions this is t stoppig them from getting better or getting ready. No need to panic about a fluid online situation now

Plenty of time to mesh.. Moving guys around now is great IMO. You say "need to know what the next guy is doing" what better way then knowing multiple
Positions? Benton has plenty of time. The guys with versatility know multiple positions this is t stoppig them from getting better or getting ready. No need to panic about a fluid online situation now

The OL is learning new pass protect responsibility from Benton. It ain't easy for one position, let alone more. JMO

You know, it seems like everybody keeps drooling about how great a line coach Benton is ...

How tough can it be to pick who is best where, & then coach 'em up?

:idk:

It just annoys me when the herd's "group think" jumps on the nuts of a new coach & declares him a cure-all for our woes. You know - kinda like how most here drooled all over our drill sgt. line coach.

... Just saying.

The only time the mixing and matching stopped last year was in the actual games, where ironically it could have done some good by replacing seriously underperforming members.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'd rather they at least make an attempt to find the 5 best guys for the starting job during camp than just sticking 5 guys on the line just for the hell of it.

It's the same thing every year. Sparano did it too. I'm sick of it. Rebuilding the line constantly. Granted last year was rock bottom. But hopefully next year we will finally have continuity. I keep saying it but I expect us to have a good line in 2015. Albert and Pouncey back. James with a year behind him. That's 3 freaking number one picks with a year together here in Miami. Plus I expect Turner to be ready. The 5th spot will be a relatively minor issue. Maybe Dallas Thomas or Smith. If we are doing this crap again next summer heaven help us all. This isn't brain surgery.

We have not played a preseason game yet. Also there are 3-4 spots open for guys to win a starting job. Just plugging guys into holes without letting someone win the spot is not the right way to treat players who are working their butts off to win a roster/starting spot. If it was clear cut I think the decision would be made by now or soon but we have guys earning positions at this point. Unfortunately nobody has made a clear push to win a job.

Shelly was dealt a pretty bad hand in the failed attempt on moving him to center, and has some time to make up.

While I agree, Shelly seem the only OL athletic enough to allow for creatively stretching the field. It seems to me that Lazor really wants to incorporate a pulling center. Once Shelly failed as a center, Satele was the next logical step. He may have lost a step, but I remember he was capable of pulling.

I might be wrong, but this sequence makes sense to me.

It's the same thing every year. Sparano did it too. I'm sick of it. Rebuilding the line constantly. Granted last year was rock bottom. But hopefully next year we will finally have continuity. I keep saying it but I expect us to have a good line in 2015. Albert and Pouncey back. James with a year behind him. That's 3 freaking number one picks with a year together here in Miami. Plus I expect Turner to be ready. The 5th spot will be a relatively minor issue. Maybe Dallas Thomas or Smith. If we are doing this crap again next summer heaven help us all. This isn't brain surgery.

Albert has 3-4 years max. College and Satele are short term fixes. I do not see stability in the near future.

I think finding the right group is even more important than giving them time to mesh. What good does time do for them if the group isn't right?

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk

At this point you need to make your choice and rep it or they will get eaten up week one. And week one matters.
Your point is valid, but the "the right group" really isn't there anyway, if you are looking for success in the first four games.
New offence, new line, will not make for a breakout Tannehill. The only chance is to get reps. Glad we got SS at Center though.

Austin Tatious - (originally replied to wrong post sorry) It's the same thing every year. Sparano did it too. I'm sick of it. Rebuilding the line constantly. Granted last year was rock bottom. But hopefully next year we will finally have continuity. I keep saying it but I expect us to have a good line in 2015. Albert and Pouncey back. James with a year behind him. That's 3 freaking number one picks with a year together here in Miami. Plus I expect Turner to be ready. The 5th spot will be a relatively minor issue. Maybe Dallas Thomas or Smith. If we are doing this crap again next summer heaven help us all. This isn't brain surgery.

You should be sick of it. It really is sad that in recent years we have posts like this. Posts looking forward to the year after the current one, before the current one even started.
It was never ever like like that in Miami until recently. Really sad for proud fans.

Im not as concerned about the line as many are. Albert and James will solidify the tackles. Once pouncy gets back we have a good center.

It doesn't take an offensive line long to mesh. They hall have individual assignments and calls for changes on the run. Don't believe the hype! The term "mesh" is very vague and offensive lines can find chemistry very quick. It's more about individual battles than people think. I'm more worried about them winning those individual battles than finding cohesiveness over time because that will come. You work together on run double teams (ie. double teaming a 0-9 tech to a LB), centers or QB's call pass pro where they could be some double team work but those are still considered assignments. Generally, if your line is physical and know's what they're doing on assignments they'll be successful. But don't get it twisted, the defenses practice too so there will def be missed blocks. The penalties and blown assignments are a no no!

Back
Top Bottom