The State of Our Team... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The State of Our Team...

I don't think Collins would be a good idea. i don't think he would be much of an upgrade if any. He threw for 13 td's and 16 ints last year. Not a very good stat line. Granted he didn't have a very good line, but it's not like we do. He would be coming into the same situation. Now if we could sign him for one year I would say it would be a good deal, but he is looking for a long term deal. Atleast more than a year. He just got finished trying to get an extension from the Giants. Why do you think he would be ok playing for us for a one year contract if he wasn't content doing so in NY. On last issue with Collins. There is no way we can afford him. He is going to want what he is making now which is obvious by his declining to restructure his contract. Now as far as the line goes I think we are moving in the right direction. My heart just about broke when Andrews went to Phili, but over the past few days I have warmed up to the idea of Carey. We have brought a lot of new faces and I think we should atleast be better than last year. in my oppinion Nails is a bum and I would hate to have him back. Every game I watched last year looked like Nails was dadging the defensive line. For Rickys sake leave Nails alone. With that said I hope we do grab up another guard in free agency to compete. i was wishing for Welbourne, but who wasn't. Now on to Linebacker. I agree we need to add some more depth. I was kind of hoping Williams or Vilam would fall to us if Andrews didn't. I wouldn't mind picking up Lewis. Another name I would like to through out there as a possible good pickup is Ian Gold. then again it seems wierd noone else has snagged him yet, so maybe his injury has hurt his game more than I thought. Moore should be good. As long as the offensive lineman isn't the guy from bar that is. I'm still laughing about that situation. :roflmao:

Collier's system = Norv's system from the best info we have

Norv's system and the Martz/Vermiel system are basically the same. This is why the Rams were all set to start Trent Green before he got injured. The year before that, Green was Norv's QB. We know Warner is getting released (no matter how coy Martz wants to be about it). That is how Warner comes in.

I don't want another Brian Griese situation where a QB unfamiliar with that system comes in and doesn't get enough time with it. I also don't want to lose the safety net without having an experienced safety net in place.

Upon further review(read: not blinded by the passing yards) I don't think Collins would be any upgrade to JF.....:o

RW...some good points, however, I dissagree with your fixes for them...

1. QB...Collins won't come in here unless he is pencilled in as the starter...that is not going to happen here...the job, despite what DW says is AJs to lose. Collins will also want much more than we will be willing to pay for him. And your analysis on him was dead right, so our line was worse than NYGs last year. I believe it'll better but he is a slug in the backfield. JFs maneuverablilty saved him from becoming complete mincemeat last year here, so we need a QB that has better mobility....I see the best candidates here on this team....If one gets hurt, that would be a problem, but you can say that about any of the major positions on the team.

2. RG - We have another option at RG now that we have Carey...I am sure that the loser of the RT spot (which I hope is St. Clair) will be moved into the RG spot...Carey and St. Clair can both play the position. The tendency would be for Carey to play the RG spot and let St. Clair tough it out until Big Mac is back, but that may not occur or he may be limited this year when he does come back. Carey, according to Wise projects out to be our RT, but they may let him play the RG spot, that will be an easier transition for him from college ball and move him out there next year. Jerman is penciled in as the starter right now, and perhaps he will earn that spot. St. Clair was penciled in as the RT until we drafted Carey...It remains to be seen as to how he will be handled...We have some solid options...

3. MLB...I agree wholeheartedly that we need a better backup than C. Jenkins or Bua or Pope cannot fill that need (IMHO) as you pointed out. I think our LB core in general is suspect if we have an injury...Lewis does not really fit into the style of play of our MLB....Ian Gold would be a better choice, but we won't get him at the price we would need to get him at. I'm not too sure that Lewis would come in here as a backup either, although he could also backup Jr. spot. I mentioned before the draft that I thought that from a pure need standpoint, we needed first OL and then LB. Trotter might be an option for us as well, although he is also another who may not come in here has a backup and probably wants more than the vet min...I don't have a better option for MLB, but know that we need some kind of veteran LB depth...

I might add that we need to improve our special teams from the last two years. I was very dissapointed that DW let Westhoff go for Armstrong and have felt that we have suffered from that move... We added several FAs and draft choices to help out....Akins, Freeman/Edwards (whichever is not starting), Minnis, perhaps Wilkens, Bua, Poole, Pope and we still have Jenkins, Minor, etc. But the coaching has to get better (IMO) because we have not live up to our reputation that we had while Westhoff was here of almost always the most prepared and best STs.

Jimmy James said:
Collier's system = Norv's system from the best info we have

Norv's system and the Martz/Vermiel system are basically the same. This is why the Rams were all set to start Trent Green before he got injured. The year before that, Green was Norv's QB. We know Warner is getting released (no matter how coy Martz wants to be about it). That is how Warner comes in.

I don't want another Brian Griese situation where a QB unfamiliar with that system comes in and doesn't get enough time with it. I also don't want to lose the safety net without having an experienced safety net in place.
I don't see how Colliers' system could = Norv's, if , as he has stated directly, he will be flexible from week to week in game planning for each opponents' weakness.

Norv may have tried to do that same thing but, it wasn't glaringly evident.

We all know what the game plan was every week.

But, I see what you're saying about KW. The thing I would have against him though, is his lack of mobility and the possibility that he is done. I don't think Kurt's going to be in the league much longer. He may catch on somewhere but, when he flops there, he's history.

I don't get why so many people are so high on bringing Collins. I don't think he's much of an upgrade over what we have. He will demand big bucks. Save the cash and get Ogun under contract and/or keep CC next season.

I take that bit of information to mean that Collier is going to do a Martz-like job of preparing the game plan to the system's advantage, not that we're going to use a different system from week to week. I could be wrong about that, though.

I don't fully trust KW myself. I would want the team to do a comprehensive physical including whatever the most expensive and best tests are for hand injuries before considering him. I would also want them to know damn well that this offensive line is good enough that it won't be a repeat of the games that Warner played in 2002 and 2003. Only then would I really consider a Fiedler for Warner swap. He does have just one more chance in the league, and I hope for the guy that he does make the most of it while shutting that annoying wife of his up. :)

Just say no to Kurt Warner and Kerry Collins...

Collins will not come here because he would not be able to come in as the clear cut starter. RS would never agree to that and I don't think he is an upgrade to any of the QBs we have on the roster now. Warner a few years ago was unstoppable, but he has not played the same since the thumb injury and then the series of concussions.

As far as bringing in one of these guys as a backup goes, that is what has killed us the last few years...when JF has missed time, the b/ups have not had enough work in the offense to make it happen. Then we have to scale down the offense, and that means more carries for RW....we cannot have that again...If JF came in as the backup, we could run the offense pretty much the same, with the exception of some of the perimeter passes and deep outs, as that is a glaring weakness for him although he can make those passes pretty well when rollling out....I don't know why, but he seemed to make those deep outs better when rolling out. I'd take my chances on AJ starting and JF as backup before I'd go for another retread...

BTW...does anyone else think that Collins would fit real well at Oakland ??? They don't have much in the way of recievers any more, and Porter may take some time to get back after his injury, but they do have an OL there now, and Collins operates best behind a big solid OL...

pigskinguy said:
I don't get why so many people are so high on bringing Collins. I don't think he's much of an upgrade over what we have. He will demand big bucks. Save the cash and get Ogun under contract and/or keep CC next season.

I couldnt agree with you more. I am personally happy with what we have and don't really see any options out there right now that are an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom