The under-the-radar realities that made Phillips over Najee a smart move and a quick six-pack of notes. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The under-the-radar realities that made Phillips over Najee a smart move and a quick six-pack of notes.

Agree completely, but with that said.... didn't Tua get an abysmal wonderlic score??? I know that's not the end all be all, but a 13 is brutally terrible.

People said Jameis Winston wasn't that bright and couldn't process quickly/grasp the playbook and he DOUBLED Tua's score with a 27.

I'm a big fan of Tua but even that is concerning.
The score of 13 was incorrectly leaked. He got a 19. Marino scored a 16.

Winston's 27 is actually pretty solid. If anything his struggles are evidence that the ability to perform algebra equations does not equal football smarts.

The score of 13 was incorrectly leaked. He got a 19. Marino scored a 16.

Winston's 27 is actually pretty solid. If anything his struggles are evidence that the ability to perform algebra equations does not equal football smarts.
Only because he was allowed a retake. I believe 13 was the original score.

I don't know how relavent it is, because if he were a moron, it would have been obvious in predraft interviews. Most "IQ" type tests are inherently flawed, as education is not, necessarily, indicative of intelligence. Beyond that the human brain works differently in different ppl. Someone can be a musical prodigy, yet not be able to grasp physics beyond a superficial level.

Just posting for the sake of accuracy.

Agree, Hunt was our best linemen last year by far. I personally wouldn’t have moved him to G just yet but honestly our G play was pretty horrid so with Kindley having a year of experience and back to LG we could be incredibly powerful inside.

“The decision to move Robert Hunt to guard so early in his career is puzzling in this sense: During the final six weeks of the season, Pro Football Focus said he was fifth best of 37 qualifying right tackles.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article251400358.html#storylink=cpy
I just don't understand how you could consider Hunt's mediocre performance our "best lineman by far". Even the always amusing PFF site only gave him a 65.8 score and charged him with 3 sacks and 8 (!!!) penalties in limited duty. This wasn't good...

His skillset is mauling and run-blocking... he's a Guard on any team that doesn't run a right-handed power rushing scheme. On the Titans, he could be a Right Tackle.

He's also slightly overaged for a rookie...

edit: PFF's raw scores for our linemen:

Austin Jackson 848 snaps, 5 penalties, 4 sacks, 52.3 score
Ereck Flowers 857, 3, 5, 65.9
Ted Karras 1068, 3, 2, 65.3
Solomon Kindley 748, 5, 4, 51.3
Robert Hunt 722, 8, 3, 65.8
Jesse Davis 1055, 2, 1, 62.6

Hunt received the least snaps, but had the most penalties, and his three sacks came at about the same rate as the others. For the life of me, I can't see how Hunt's performance was better than mediocre. Flowers had the best score, and Davis was clearly the most disciplined... and even Kindley and Jackson managed to score well enough while playing injured for many weeks-- Hunt came in healthy when the NFL players were starting to get beat up.
If there is logic is calling Hunt 'best lineman by far', I sure can't see it. Maybe we can call him, the one rookie who was not battling a foot injury?

Last edited:
Also this:

▪ ESPN analysts continue to question Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa for his playbook comments, which — as explained here — do not warrant the attention or criticism that they’re receiving.
“What the hell? What the entire hell?” former NFL safety Ryan Clark said on ESPN’s Get Up.
“He should have lied. What do we always say about Alabama players? They’re the most NFL ready. They understand playbooks. They can process. He was supposed to have a quick trigger because he understands.
“Now he had a quick trigger because he had four first-rounders playing on his team? You’re not going to have that in Miami. Not only is your body beat up, but you ain’t that smart either? If I’m Brian Flores, this is something I do not like hearing.”

Quick aside: The “ain’t that smart” comment is unfair. From all indications, there is no concern at all with Tagovailoa’s intelligence or mental aptitude.

Here’s my quick aside: it’s ironic someone used the sentence “ain’t that smart” considering “ain’t” is not a word, and reluctantly got put into the dictionary a couple years ago.

Maybe Ryan Clark ain’t that smart, either.
I might have cared about Clark’s take 15 years ago but I’m 40 now and nothing any talking head has to say is of relevance to me at this point.

I don't know how relavent it is, because if he were a moron, it would have been obvious in predraft interviews. Most "IQ" type tests are inherently flawed, as education is not, necessarily, indicative of intelligence. Beyond that the human brain works differently in different ppl. Someone can be a musical prodigy, yet not be able to grasp physics beyond a superficial level.

13 was at his junior pro day, he scored 19 at the 2020 combine.

Flo put it in perspective;

Brian Flores on Tua saying he didn’t know the play book really, really well in 2020: “He’s comparing last year to where he is right now. I get it.”
Right. And if Flores or Grier had any doubts about Tua, they were in a great position to take a quarterback at #3.

It wasn't that he was allowed to re-take it. I heard he had apparently taken it the previous year and they reported that score.

If that's true, the score is meaningless bc it would mean he did no preparation like draft eligible candidates would.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It wasn't that he was allowed to re-take it. I heard he had apparently taken it the previous year and they reported that score.

If that's true, the score is meaningless bc it would mean he did no preparation like draft eligible candidates would.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
That may be the case. I was mainly correcting the statement to the effect that it was "leaked" incorrectly.

In any case, neither score is particularly impressive.

Like I said, that doesn't mean he isn't "football smart".

Back
Top Bottom