They still better get Rivers... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

They still better get Rivers...

I think we have other needs to be addressed first. If by some crazy chance he falls to the second I wouldn't mind making a trade.

OL will be addressed in FA. Why do people assume that if you draft a QB that means you are forsaking the line? You don.t draft OL for the sake of drafting OL. You draft a position if you think the players there are worth it. There are indications that Miami likes a couple of FA OL. There are fewer indications that they have targeted any draft prospect OL.

If Rivers slips Miami should take him. If he doesn't they might go after Losman. (assuming two 1st rd picks)

Originally posted by rafael
OL will be addressed in FA. Why do people assume that if you draft a QB that means you are forsaking the line? You don.t draft OL for the sake of drafting OL. You draft a position if you think the players there are worth it. There are indications that Miami likes a couple of FA OL. There are fewer indications that they have targeted any draft prospect OL.

If Rivers slips Miami should take him. If he doesn't they might go after Losman. (assuming two 1st rd picks)
That was my point also. They're not looking for a T, and McKinney will prob take over @ C, so what guards in the draft are better than the FAs out there? Hopefully, we can sign two good guards in FA.

Originally posted by finfan54
Keep your eye on JP Losman. i just heard this morning from the combine on NFL access that Losman did himself big favors and threw the ball very well. He is a sure 1st round draft pick they say.

True. He also ran a 4.7 40:eek:
I heard Rivers can bench 400+lbs:eek: :cry: although he runs like a lineman. The coverage said several lineman (i think d line) ran a sub 5 forty and Rivers ran 5.1.

Originally posted by Dolfan954

That was my point also. They're not looking for a T, and McKinney will prob take over @ C, so what guards in the draft are better than the FAs out there? Hopefully, we can sign two good guards in FA.

I would look for Nails to stay, the guy from Chicago and Woody to be looked at. I could see both coming in and Woody at either G or C. Seth, Nails and chicago guy competetting for other spots.

The problem with the "They better get Rivers" mentallity is that locking in on a single position has got us in trouble before.

The Dolphins HAVE to be prepared to go with 3 or 4 different positions with that first draft pick.

They have to be true to their evaluation process. When you say they have to get a QB or have to get a Cornerback, or have to get a Linebacker...then we are not fluid enough to get a player that has fallen to us.

Whether it's a WR, Offensive Lineman, or QB...the Phins must not fall in love with a single player. Whatever player that will give a the chance of winning NOW must be chosen. Winning now is the plan. A great PR move would be to draft a QB.

I'd rather them take the guy who they have ranked the highest on the draft board that will help the team now. Fans won't be as flexible. We have our draft favorites. I want a WR. I might be disapointed on draft day. I'll deal with it.

Originally posted by dreadlockera

I would look for Nails to stay, the guy from Chicago and Woody to be looked at. I could see both coming in and Woody at either G or C. Seth, Nails and chicago guy competetting for other spots.
I would say the same, but Hank Goldberg reported a lot of different things yesterday after speaking with the FO. One of the things he said is that the entire interior line will be gone, and that they love the Chi G and Woody. When Hank says something, you know it's the truth. He has connections all over the place.

Originally posted by rafael

Well none of us know what strategy Miami will take in the draft. However, drafting based on NEED isn't unheard of.
Drafting the best player available when you have other need positions can come back to haunt you. Trade down....work the wires.

Why do you think drafting an OL would be just for the sake of it?? I think that OL is our most glaring need position right now.

The QB mystery has ended. Time to get into the trenches.

I would say the same, but Hank Goldberg reported a lot of different things yesterday after speaking with the FO. One of the things he said is that the entire interior line will be gone, and that they love the Chi G and Woody. When Hank says something, you know it's the truth. He has connections all over the place.

Did we get Peyton Manning too? Hank did mention a big push for him. Hank is good NFL entertainment, but please....lets keep him in his place. His word isn't the gospel.

Originally posted by Superself

Did we get Peyton Manning too? Hank did mention a big push for him. Hank is good NFL entertainment, but please....lets keep him in his place. His word isn't the gospel.
It is. Not being an a*s or anything, just telling the truth. He's broken plenty stories and has come on the air with breaking inside info that turned out to be true. He's not one of those, "I heard a hot rumour that..." type of guys. Anyone who listens to him regularly would tell you the same. He never said we would get Peyton either. He said it's a possibility.

Everything he said yesterday, he said it's concrete. He got it from the FO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why do you think drafting an OL would be just for the sake of it?? I think that OL is our most glaring need position right now.

B/c I don't see many OL prospects worthy of a first round pick. If a guy isn't worthy, but you take him anyyway b/c you have a need than you are drafting him just for the sake of it. Especially when there are better options in FA.

Originally posted by PhinstiGator
The problem with the "They better get Rivers" mentallity is that locking in on a single position has got us in trouble before.

The Dolphins HAVE to be prepared to go with 3 or 4 different positions with that first draft pick.

They have to be true to their evaluation process. When you say they have to get a QB or have to get a Cornerback, or have to get a Linebacker...then we are not fluid enough to get a player that has fallen to us.

Whether it's a WR, Offensive Lineman, or QB...the Phins must not fall in love with a single player. Whatever player that will give a the chance of winning NOW must be chosen. Winning now is the plan. A great PR move would be to draft a QB.

I'd rather them take the guy who they have ranked the highest on the draft board that will help the team now. Fans won't be as flexible. We have our draft favorites. I want a WR. I might be disapointed on draft day. I'll deal with it.

I understand what you're saying but that falls mainly into the "best athlete available" mentality which, IMO, only works in the later rnds on the 2nd day. On the first day, you'd better be looking at need positions first with a particlular player in ech of those. IMO, the order of need is (in order) QB, OL and then WR. Now if thoise 3 positions are [adequately] filled in FA, then by all means select another position. If not, then the best actual athlete may very well be a CB. Now, since we currently are not in desperate need at cB, it would be pretty stupid to draft a CB with our first pick simply becaue he's the "best athlete available. But then again, we've already done that in the past, so anything is pretty much possible around here. May not make any sense, but possib;e none the less. :lol:

It is. Not being an a*s or anything, just telling the truth. He's broken plenty stories and has come on the air with breaking inside info that turned out to be true. He's not one of those, "I heard a hot rumour that..." type of guys. Anyone who listens to him regularly would tell you the same. He never said we would get Peyton either. He said it's a possibility.

Everything he said yesterday, he said it's concrete. He got it from the FO.

Do you really think that our FO would really tell hank what they're going to do while knowing it will be public knowledge within the next couple of hours?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: River's stock is rocketing...

Man please...it would be silly to think Miami can just stay focused on using top picks on QBs when they have already addressed that issue and have more glaring needs.
They obviously believe Feeley is good enough. Just because you don't really doesn't matter to them.

Your supporting another Jay-Fiedler type move. When Marino retired we banked EVERYTHING in Jay, and had NO back up. Look where it got us. 4 years of mediocre play and not a sniff at the SB.

It's one thing to bank on a proven player and say their good enough. no one here would have a problem if it was a young proven QB (ramsey) and not drafting Rivers. He has a future (unlike brunelle) would be here for awhile,and has proven he can play well in this league.

Feeley however is a crap shoot. What do you plan to do if he flops? What if he turns out to be a total flop? We would have to cut him, take a cap hit, and pursue a franchise QB in FA next year that would cost us a boat load. Why? because we have no backup plan.

I think chances are he'll be mediocre. Give us a decent year, maybe two and then be replaced, I don't think he'll flop, but I don't htink he'll light up the league either. But having Rivers would give us an OPTION. I would give him a year on the bench to be groomed in. That way IF Feeley Flops, or isn't our answer we have a place to turn NEXT YEAR.

you have to look ahead. Signing Feeley is comprable to signing brunelle and not drafting a rookie QB. Chances are good that we'll be looking for another QB in about 2 years. I'm hoping we finish deep in the playoffs, which will give us NO shot at a decen QB in the draft. would be nice to have rivers then wouldn't it? He's cheap, he's within reach, and WILL be great. He'll have a year on the bench before we'llc onsider playing him and gives us OPTIONS that quite frankly won't be filled in the FA like WR and OL can.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: River's stock is rocketing...

Originally posted by Graythreat

Your supporting another Jay-Fiedler type move. When Marino retired we banked EVERYTHING in Jay, and had NO back up. Look where it got us. 4 years of mediocre play and not a sniff at the SB.

It's one thing to bank on a proven player and say their good enough. no one here would have a problem if it was a young proven QB (ramsey) and not drafting Rivers. He has a future (unlike brunelle) would be here for awhile,and has proven he can play well in this league.

Feeley however is a crap shoot. What do you plan to do if he flops? What if he turns out to be a total flop? We would have to cut him, take a cap hit, and pursue a franchise QB in FA next year that would cost us a boat load. Why? because we have no backup plan.

I think chances are he'll be mediocre. Give us a decent year, maybe two and then be replaced, I don't think he'll flop, but I don't htink he'll light up the league either. But having Rivers would give us an OPTION. I would give him a year on the bench to be groomed in. That way IF Feeley Flops, or isn't our answer we have a place to turn NEXT YEAR.

you have to look ahead. Signing Feeley is comprable to signing brunelle and not drafting a rookie QB. Chances are good that we'll be looking for another QB in about 2 years. I'm hoping we finish deep in the playoffs, which will give us NO shot at a decen QB in the draft. would be nice to have rivers then wouldn't it? He's cheap, he's within reach, and WILL be great. He'll have a year on the bench before we'llc onsider playing him and gives us OPTIONS that quite frankly won't be filled in the FA like WR and OL can.
THANK YOU. My point exactly. He's not proven, so we shouldn't bank everything on him.

Back
Top Bottom