This Afternoons Training Camp, Offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Afternoons Training Camp, Offense

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ahhh It's finally here, some kind of football!!!! Pads, hitting, and the smell of fresh cut grass!!

What's up Dolphins fans? Now it's time for the real stuff, and lets get right to it.

My Disclaimer first. Don't take too much into my accounts, for I'm only trying to give you some good reading material about our favorite team. I'm no coach, so my advise is just to enjoy some Dolphins news, from one of us!

First lets do the QB's:

Starting with Jay Fiedler. Jay was pretty much on the money the whole practice, throwing some very nice, crisp, pretty spirals. He was looking very comfortable this afternoon, stepping up into the pocket more than a few times, to avoid contact. They were mixing up the plays very nicely, having Jay throw a timed out to either a Rb, or a Fb, on first downs then running one, then using a lot of motions on 3rd down. Most impressive were his 15-20 yard timing patterns, putting them right on the money, where all the CB's seemed they could do was to make a futile try at batting it, or they would just latch onto the receiver. A very very nice afternoon for Jay. However, his one try deep, even though caught, was off the mark. The pass was thrown deep enough, but a little too high, and the wind floated it off to the side.

BG, well, it seems to me that we have a mold of the same type a Qb for the 1st and 2nd string. Except BG can't run to save his life. I was never a huge fan of BG in the pros, but I've become comfortable with the fact that no matter what the backup Qb position has been upgraded. Brian has some nice touch on the ball, no doubt about it, and he is picking up this offense very well. To see him pointing to one of the veterans who was out of position, was proof enough to me that he is working hard. But he does have a ways to go, and it seems he has one Db who has his number. None other than Jamar Fletcher, who picked him off once again, on a bad decision by Brian. Other than that he was not as sharp as Jay, but very much better than the last mini camp, his first.

Sage got a good share of reps today, and he had the best pass also, throwing a nice deep ball to Chris Jackson in stride, over Donaldson. He was nearly picked off by Fletcher, on one play that would have, or could have been an Int for a TD.

OK Lets do some Wr's:

Darrius Thompson is becoming a favorite target for Jay, or so it seems. He had the most receptions this afternoon, and made an outstanding sideline leaping catch, on a throw by Jay. From what I herd on WQAM, he had an even better morning practice.

OK Thompson may be one of, but he is not the absolute favorite for Jay because Chambers was getting them on the numbers, and was the first option.
Chambers caught the very first pass from Jay today, and got a couple more timing patterns in his chest. But the best pass for him today, had the offense shifting on third down, then putting Mac in motion, with Chambers sliding under him on the snap, leaving Zach one on one with him. Well, the ball was dead on the money, in stride, and could very well have went for a TD. Chambers did get touched on the sideline which drew a whistle, but if you ask me, he would not have been tackled. One defender was beyond this, and none other than Ricky, was even farther. Ricky just eased back and threw a get in the way block, which sprung Chambers for an easy score. A ten yard pass, went (IMO) about 55 yards.

McMichael made two real nice grabs, one from Brian which had him lay out to get it, but the defender had no chance. The other one was from Jay, and McMike was not missing nothing. He also was very active blocking today.

McKnight only caught one ball that I can recollect. It was a timing pattern from Brian.

OG is fat as a pig!!! He looks to me like he can't run a 6.0 forty! His arms don't look near as big, and his (_)_) looks like a shade tree! He was getting his share of time on the field, and he needs it.

Robert Baker, dropped a ball right in his hands, and this IMO caused him no more for the day.

However, the other European, Kendall Newsome made two nice catches, one was offensive pass interference, but he made an excellent leaping grab on it. He was about as high, and stretched out as it gets. He showed me a real nice set of mitts, hauling it in, the landing pretty hard on his keester. And he also dropped one right in the gut later on.

Konrad had a few thrown his way in the flat, and the setups were well done. Making them look like a deeper pass to another receiver is very key in making these plays work.

Ricky got his share of the same type throws, but what's real nice is their working Ricky downfield a LOT. On one play the Wr's drew the corners deep, having one TE stay back to block, while Ricky paused for only a second in the backfield, then he sprinted upfield. He got by Zach, and Jay threw a nice pass, right over Zach outstretched arms. A nice play going for at least 25 yards. Ricky is also the check off guy, when Jays rolling out to his right, and if the Wr's were covered he was getting the dumpoffs.

Donald Lee made one real nice play on a low pass from Sage, and he got up real quick to gain 10 more yards. He was also blocking a lot.

Battaglia was the star of the mini camps in many reports, today he did catch couple, but what stood out the most was him dropping one right in his hands, and he was standing still. He had one pass thrown perfectly too him over the middle, which would have been a nice long gainer, but Lowe reached out at the last second and barely tipped it away.

The Middle drill did not go to far today, not the starters anyway. I think I smell some pride against the run by the D

I can answer a few questions about the O-line or any other part of the offense you see I missed, but I really concentrated on the passing, and it seemed so did they, though there was a good mix of both.

MY PLAY OF THE DAY!

Guard Jamie Nails, bolting off the snap, pushing his first man off to the side, then running dead center into two players 5 yards upfield. breaking loose Edwards for a good gain. A loud POP was all you herd! VERY SWEEETTTTTTT! Nice to see Nails back in the mix, but I did notice him favoring his leg once or twice.

Another note was DE Jason Taylor either got rolled up on, or kicked in his chin. He was taken out and had ice put on it. He did not return, but it did not look like anything serious.

OK I'm freaking starving, and need my Sushi, so I promise a defensive report sometime late tonight. For those who might miss it tonight, it will give ya'll something to read while practice is on tomorrow morning.

OH YES, LET ME NOT FORGET ONE THING!

I had the pleasure of meeting Muck, and CRAZYDOLFAN today. Both of you seemed really cool, and it was my pleasure to have met you!! I got to, in person congrat Muck on his new job :)

Nice Job

That was a good read and was interesting to hear how active Fletcher has been thus far. Look forward to the D report.

Thanks dude

JS

Thank Ozzy, good report, glad to see DT getting comfortable with Jay..But Jay has also got to get comfortable with McK..Hope the CC comfort=a McK comfort also, especially the deep ball..

There's two practices tomorrow, is anyone goin to them? I think there's one practice on Sunday as well. Then there's the two practices on Monday, first one at 9am, second one at 7pm (ouch long time to wait between)

The good news is that I'll be driving down with two friends on Monday for both the morning and the evening practices! I'm excited! I hope to see you there Oz, despite past run-ins on the electrobyte superhighway.

Thanks Ozzy. Great job.

Great to see Nails back at it full speed.

I wonder if JT will use Neutrogina to clean his boo boo on his chin.:lol:

Thanks for the reporting Ozzy. You saw everything bout the same as I did. Nice to get another opinion though.

Originally posted by Ozzy

had the offense shifting on third down, then putting Mac in motion, with Chambers sliding under him on the snap, leaving Zach one on one with him.

And that is the whole idea of getting him in the slot..

Good job Ozzy, you should be a FH reporter!

Originally posted by ckparrothead
There's two practices tomorrow, is anyone goin to them? I think there's one practice on Sunday as well. Then there's the two practices on Monday, first one at 9am, second one at 7pm (ouch long time to wait between)

The good news is that I'll be driving down with two friends on Monday for both the morning and the evening practices! I'm excited! I hope to see you there Oz, despite past run-ins on the electrobyte superhighway.

In that case I'm expecting another great report..like Ozzy's.:D

Hey MD how about this quote...

"Robert Baker, dropped a ball right in his hands, and this IMO caused him no more for the day."

Oh the talent that we are kicking off the team for OG :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Prime Time
Hey MD how about this quote...

"Robert Baker, dropped a ball right in his hands, and this IMO caused him no more for the day."

Oh the talent that we are kicking off the team for OG :rolleyes:

After catching so many in Europe, he's entitle to one drop...but you know he's not done..He'll catch his share..But it seems there was a lot of drops, and how about the big fat OG, who could barely move...:D

Originally posted by ckparrothead

I'm just a stubborn person, it's one of my worst points! But i'm way over that, and look forward to meeting you sometime.

We all have our kicks, but I still think your one of the better posters on these boards. I may not agree all the time, but you always provide a strong defense of what you write.

I'm really not sure, but most likely I will go to Sundays session, which is at 4, and If I do go Sat. it will be at 4 as well.

For sure I'm going to Mondays night practice, they are the best IMO!

I also attended after noon session and I would like to add something since Ozzy did a great jon typing the report.

I notice that Darius Thompson not Mcknight is working out with the first unit so could this be indication?

Like Ozzy said Jay is looking very sharp and throwing the ball with nice velocity.Jay makes quick desicion and doesn't hold on to the ball too long.

One thing I don't like about Griese is that he holds on to the ball too long which causes him to get in trouble(Now I know why he gets sack so many times).He try to Scramble on one play but it was like he was peeling out and didn't get no where.It was funny watching him try to scramble since some guy made the comparison to a car.I have to agree about Griese having great touch on his passes but arm strength is below Fiedler.

Sage didn't get many reps but look good in individual workouts.

Lon Sherif might be worth keeping in the development squad.

Jamar Fletcher is doing well and he line up in the nickel package a couple of times.Brian Griese never threw to Fletcher side after the INT.

Buckley is not doing so well and in one play FAT Gadsen had 2 step on Buckley but Griese didn't put enough on the throw.

Chamber and McMicheal were Jay Fiedler favorite targets today and both did really well.

The play of day in my opinion was:

Kendall Newsom adjusting to the ball that was underthrown and diving for the ball(Sage was QB).

Rookie DT Davern williams moves like a DE and is surprising for a man of his size.I really think this guy has potential to be stud DT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Ozzy
But the best pass for him today, had the offense shifting on third down, then putting Mac in motion, with Chambers sliding under him on the snap, leaving Zach one on one with him. Well, the ball was dead on the money, in stride, and could very well have went for a TD. Chambers did get touched on the sideline which drew a whistle, but if you ask me, he would not have been tackled. One defender was beyond this, and none other than Ricky, was even farther. Ricky just eased back and threw a get in the way block, which sprung Chambers for an easy score. A ten yard pass, went (IMO) about 55 yards.

What's cool is that Konrad started out split wide to the outside with the slot, which forced Surtain to line up on him. With the subsequent motion, it became a total mismatch created by Norv.

There seemed to be a lot of plays like that today. Especially with Jay at QB. Many of his passes were on overload plays designed to get one man open in the flats. But Jay looked very good today IMO. Very sharp. As Ozzy mentioned, those 15-20 timing patterns/outs were tight and on the money.

Griese had one really nice pass that stuck out to me. Came on a play where the DE had beaten Jerman and the pocket was collapsing....along with great initial coverage. Griese waited, stepped up (avoiding the big rush), and fired one on a rope between several defenders in the middle of the field for a 15-20 yard gain.

He had the one bad decision, where Fletcher was mauling Gadsden, that should have never been thrown. They were wrestling the entire pattern. And OG had no chance to break up the pass....as Fletch was a good 5 or so feet in front/inside to grab it.

Kendall Newsome looked pretty good. He did catch a deep pass, but he pushed off on Surtain to get it. He does have "that look"....like he could make things interesting for that 5th spot. He's big and lanky. Too bad Tolver was out there.

Konrad also had a nice counter play during the middle drill that gained some yardage. But like Ozzy said, the D was tough.

Just adding a few things to build on Ozzy's report. I said I wasn't gonna write anything. But it's always easier to chime in than to start the post itself. Much less work involved. ;)

Was a pleasure meeting Ozzy and CrazyD. Glad it didn't rain on us, and that it wasn't hot out. Hopefully we'll hook up again soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom