This is a damn shame..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is a damn shame.....

Jaydog57

Crank Yanker
Reaction score
Newton jailed five years for marijuana possession

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

ST. MARTINVILLE, La. -- Former Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Nate Newton, already serving time in another drug case, was sentenced to five years in prison Monday for possession of 213 pounds of marijuana in Louisiana.

Judge Don Hernandez initially tried to suspend all but 30 months of Newton's sentence, but changed his mind after prosecutors said the mandatory minimum sentence was five years. Prosecutors had argued for a sentence of 15-to-20 years.

Hernandez told Newton that he could still be a positive role model for children and for his fans.

"I will be. I promise you that,'' Newton said.

Newton also received a $50,000 fine.

Newton is serving a 30-month federal sentence in Texas on a drug trafficking charge. Newton pleaded guilty to the federal charge in April as part of a plea agreement.

His Louisiana sentence will be served concurrently with the federal sentence.

Newton's Louisiana arrest came in November 2001, after he and two women were pulled over for a traffic violation on Interstate 10 in St. Martin Parish. Newton, of East Ellijay, Ga., and the others were accused of hauling the marijuana in their van with plans to sell it.

The 40-year-old Newton is a six-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman who helped Dallas win three Super Bowls. He spent 14 seasons in the NFL, 13 with Dallas. He retired in 2000 after a season with Carolina.

Newton also has worked as a commentator on ESPN radio and as an analyst for some BET television college football broadcasts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knowing that there are people that have robbed and raped and have gotten shorter prison sentences than for somebody selling grass is just plain shameful in regards to the values Americans are 'supposed' to have. Basically we're saying it's ok to rape and pillage, but don't try and use something that came out of the ground, that was here before all of us. Our 'precious' Govt says it's bad so God knows, it must be.:rolleyes: Sorry, I get going on Government, being free, and America, and it's a total clash of the titans and I gotta vent......
:cool:

Originally posted by Barbarian
Agreed man... it's time for theese archaic laws to change.
Dude, you aren't just a barbarian, you're CONAN the Barbarian....:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: Excuse me while I blast "Cop Killer" for everybody that's been shanked for a no good donut eatin' power trippin hypocritical self-righteous bastard who has nothing better to do than fu(k with the REAL innocent people of the world........Write me a ticket for "jay'-walkin' and shove it up your ass......:evil:

look what morris went to prison for, the players today get three or four chances before anything happens!:rolleyes:

I see your point 06, but it's not about the players....

It's about these mindless, brainwashed badge-toting zombies who are geared to do nothing more than gain their importance in society by busting people who are breaking 'the law' whether it is humanely right or wrong and let's not forget about that all precious quota the pigs, i mean cops:rolleyes: , have to meet every month to make sure they have enough money to pay their salary. I mean, come on, what else are we paying for? We're definitely busting potheads with grass so we definitely have enough money to keep the cops on the force to "MAYBE" bust the rapists and robbers for their crimes. Yeah, forgive me if I'm ashamed to say I live in the most 'independent' country in the world. That's what they want you to think, and what you pay taxes for them to promote all over the world. Sure taxes can be higher in other countries, but dammit a lot of those countries are a lot more open minded than ours, they just don't teach you that in History class.:cool: We're expected to be the utmost independent minded country in the land, but when you read between the lines, we're the most conformed.:cool:

And they turn around and say it's for our own good. Well, there have been several other regimes out there that claim things were for the good of the people when they were only good for the governments controll on the populous.

This highminded regulation of Morality is getting out of hand. Next thing you know, the right wing will be trying to re-instate prohibition... and if you think thats a stretch, then you should see just how many "Dry" counties there allready are in the US where the "morality" of a few are governing the laws of the many.

We could learn a thing or two from truly free places. Like Amsterdam, which boasts legal Marijuana, prostitution, and one of the lowest violent crime rates and longest life expectancies in the world.

Originally posted by Barbarian
And they turn around and say it's for our own good. Well, there have been several other regimes out there that claim things were for the good of the people when they were only good for the governments controll on the populous.

This highminded regulation of Morality is getting out of hand. Next thing you know, the right wing will be trying to re-instate prohibition... and if you think thats a stretch, then you should see just how many "Dry" counties there allready are in the US where the "morality" of a few are governing the laws of the many.

We could learn a thing or two from truly free places. Like Amsterdam, which boasts legal Marijuana, prostitution, and one of the lowest violent crime rates and longest life expectancies in the world.
you mentioned dry counties, i just thought of something and this is really funny.

rogers arkansas, is a dry county. right across the county line, in springdale, they have a drive thru liquor store. you're not supposed to drink and drive, RIGHT!:D ;) :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dolfan06
you mentioned dry counties, i just thought of something and this is really funny.

rogers arkansas, is a dry county. right across the county line, in springdale, they have a drive thru liquor store. you're not supposed to drink and drive, RIGHT!:D ;) :rolleyes:

:rofl: :happydrin :drinkers: :drinker: :lol:

That is hilarious!

The drug laws in this country out to be looked at again to see if they make sense. If somebody is doing something in their own home and not affecting other people, then I don't have a problem with it. If someone is using drugs and out on the streets then I have a problem with it. Putting others at risk is unacceptable.

The government wastes so much damn money on the "war on drugs" which is something they'll never win. If you ask me, we should legalize it, tax it, and use the money for the public good.

Originally posted by Sniper
The drug laws in this country out to be looked at again to see if they make sense. If somebody is doing something in their own home and not affecting other people, then I don't have a problem with it. If someone is using drugs and out on the streets then I have a problem with it. Putting others at risk is unacceptable.

The government wastes so much damn money on the "war on drugs" which is something they'll never win. If you ask me, we should legalize it, tax it, and use the money for the public good.

Here Here!!!!
:drinkers:

I don't use them either... but if somebody wants to to do that they should be able to in the privacy of their own home.

Regulate it like alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom