This is so Whack with a capital "W" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is so Whack with a capital "W"

Originally posted by Brad528
We got the worst LT in the Freaking league with that pick. I would rather have a bum off the street playing LT then Wade "I cant Block" Smith

Wow, with a statement like that you don't have to prove your level of knowledge about the Dolphins in any other way.

Let's see...
Wade Smith started 16 games, allowed 12 sacks and had ZERO penalties for the season. No false starts, no holds, according to STATS Inc.

Just exactly what do you expect from a rookie playing the 2nd season in his life at Left Tackle?

When Jeff Backus was a rookie, he had 9 penalties and 11.5 sacks, he was first rounder that a lot of fans were hoping the Dolphins would be able to draft.

In Wayne Gandy's second season, the first one he started in 16 games, he had 10 sacks allowed and three penalties. After becoming a established starter, he has had seasons with as many as 10 and 12 penalties.

Levi Jones, a first round pick two years ago has played in 32 games with 30 starts the last two seasons and allowed 20 sacks 13 penalties. 12 sacks came in his 2nd season, along with 7 penalties, when he should be progressing, not regressing.

Matt Light, you should know who he is, allowed 10 sacks, had 1 penalty as a rookie, allowed 11.5 sacks and had 8 penalties in his 2nd year.

Some here have mentioned the name of Adam Meadows. He played OLT as a rookie, before he and Glenn flip/flopped spots beginning in their 2nd seasons. He allowed 12.75 sacks and had 15 penalties as a rookie, including 5 holding penalties.

In retrospect, Wade Smith was well worth this year's second round pick.

The Pats have all those picks and won the SB because they have one of the best front offices and THE best coaching staff in the league. Period.

Thank you Mr.Clean :) for a more positive and realistic view as to how our 'rookie' played.

Yeah, thanks from me too....great stats!

signed,

A much lazier defender of Wade Smith

We got the worst LT in the Freaking league with that pick. I would rather have a bum off the street playing LT then Wade "I cant Block" Smith

/me looks at post then looks at calander

Well its not april fools day so this guys must just be a Tool

yup, we gave NE our 2nd round pick this year for their last years 3rd rd pick...youre absolutely right....WACK!

Hey MrClean do you have a subscription to somewhere that lets you see STATS Inc stuff? If not, please PM me with where you got those stats. Those were awesome I have to admit I had no idea about some of those stats. I didn't realize Wade Smith was a completely clean player all year long lord knows we could use more of THAT along the OL.

12 sacks is still a lot to give up though especially considering Fiedler's tendancy not to get sacked even when the OL play is spotty, which he's shown in the past. What made him one of the worst LTs this year was also the timing for some of those...like against the Colts.

Titans head coach Jeff Fisher sure seems to think the kid is going to be dynamite. And his college coaches called him the greatest athlete in Memphis history.

Remember, after the draft.....Wanny said that the kid was not going to play in 2003 (according to the plan). He was really light and simply needed time to learn and bulk up. Instead he was thrown into the fire and took alot of unfair criticism. It's kinda like you buying your first computer and being asked to work in an expert repair shop six months later.

Give the kid a fair shake before you bash him.

You should hide for about 5 days or so for that comment, until people forget about it. :o

Its funny the Pats have the pick after the Fins.I bet the 21 pick
will burn the Fins for years.

Well I'll bash him just in as far as he didn't perform to the same level that like, other rookie LTs have done in the past. But I won't have any heart in it, since he was a mid 3rd round pick and not like, the #1 overall pick in the draft a la Boselli.

There's no denying I think that he was one of the worst LTs in the league this season and that he was a good reason why we lost a few of the games we did...but he was just a 3rd round rookie. When he's a pro bowl LT someday people will ask "Gosh why was this stud a 3rd round pick?" But its about right cuz the answer is the dude didn't have a whole lot of experience playing LT and needed to add a significant amount of muscle to be a good LT...and that wasn't gonna happen within 1 or 2 years.

Thats why I'd like to sign a Chad Clifton or Derrick Deese to man the LT spot to let Smith play RT where things would be significantly easier in pass protection (he's good at defending a bull rush). I get tired of saying this but one AFC GM was interviewed about every team's first day of the draft and when he came to comment on Wade Smith he said that he really liked Wade Smith and he thinks he'll be a good LT someday but right now if he had him he would move him to RT where things would be easier for a few years then move him to LT. Lots of teams do it. And the only time I go through that explanation every time I suggest moving Smith over to RT is because without fail somebody ALWAYS comes out of the woodwork and is like "Wade Smith's weakness is strength, moving him to Right Tackle makes no sense where he needs to be a strong road grader type" Thats not true exactly...Smith's weakness is upper body strength, he's got a LOT of lower body strength and thats what makes him good against the bull rush (and it helps him be as fast as he is). He would have the leg drive to play RT.

Alas, according to WannSpiel, we have no plans of moving Smith to RT. But the fact that a statement was made only lends credibility to the move I think, meaning someone suggested it to them, and meaning the move was credible enough that they felt a need to deny it publically. They also publically denied having any plans to move Dixon to tackle, though the move had been speculated on by the media for years.

Wade impressed me this year, he wasnt great...but dang good for a 3rd round rookie starter. He'll bulk up and become a top-flight LT in this league.

Back
Top Bottom