THIS. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

THIS.

young, and loaded with horses. they didn't go undefeated because of the ponies. take a look at this roster just loaded with horses: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/1972_roster.htm
You posted the 1972 Dolphins Roster which was a bit older and I was speaking specifically about the 1971 Dolphins. I watched both rosters play so yes I am familiar with them.

Here's the 1972 starters, take Earl Morrell out of there and see the average age. Buoniconti was the only defensive player over 30 the rest were under 27.

1710360626364.png

You dont have many seasoned vets with a team wide average age of 26 years of age like the 1971 Dolphins had.

Here's a trend, lots of 'ponies' and lots of great teams

• 1971 Miami Dolphins (Average age: 26.4 years)
  • 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers (Average age: 26.6 years)
  • 1981 San Francisco 49ers (Average age: 26.5 years)
  • 1996 New England Patriots (Average age: 26.7 years)
  • 2013 Seattle Seahawks (Average age: 26.4 years)
Point being, you can field a great (not just good) team with more 'ponies' than Vets....

Last edited:
In my opinion, Grier has always been pretty good at moving players around and getting great returns. Where Miami is truly lacking, is the same place it's been lacking for decades. Scouting and talent assessment.
He’s good at trades for the most part and some draft picks. But he sucks a managing the roster. And some of the picks he does hit on aren’t making it to 2nd contracts with Miami.

You posted the 1972 Dolphins Roster which was a bit older and I was speaking specifically about the 1971 Dolphins. I watched both rosters play so yes I am familiar with them.

Here's the 1972 starters, take Earl Morrell out of there and see the average age. Buoniconti was the only defensive player over 30 the rest were under 27.

View attachment 163504

You dont have many seasoned vets with a team wide average age of 26 years of age like the 1971 Dolphins had.

Here's a trend, lots of 'ponies' and lots of great teams

• 1971 Miami Dolphins (Average age: 26.4 years)
  • 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers (Average age: 26.6 years)
  • 1981 San Francisco 49ers (Average age: 26.5 years)
  • 1996 New England Patriots (Average age: 26.7 years)
  • 2013 Seattle Seahawks (Average age: 26.4 years)
Point being, you can field a great (not just good) team with more 'ponies' than Vets....
Maybe but that was not my original point, that is an age argument which is a different point. Go back to the OP. The players they used the Wilkins money on are all ponies in my view. You need ponies on the roster, but they never make you great. The horses do. That is my story and I am sticking to it

Maybe but that was not my original point, that is an age argument which is a different point. Go back to the OP. The players they used the Wilkins money on are all ponies in my view. You need ponies on the roster, but they never make you great. The horses do. That is my story and I am sticking to it
Ponies are young horses so I didn't miss anything unless you're changing definitions. The FA that are leaving are going to transfer into Comp picks that we will use to get more...wait for it....ponies.

You need a handful of vets and everyone else can be in their first contract (ponies) and you can field a great team.

Ponies are young horses so I didn't miss anything unless you're changing definitions. The FA that are leaving are going to transfer into Comp picks that we will use to get more...wait for it....ponies.

You need a handful of vets and everyone else can be in their first contract (ponies) and you can field a great team.
I think u missed my point. Go back to the OP. The players they got back for Wilkins are ponies. Volume does not matter to me.

I think u missed my point. Go back to the OP. The players they got back for Wilkins are ponies. Volume does not matter to me.
Clearly metaphors are not your thing, I'd avoid them in the future....

Clearly metaphors are not your thing, I'd avoid them in the future....
maybe i understand the confusion now. i will try to explain it, without being nasty in retort. by horses versus ponies, i did not mean old versus young. i meant stud players versus average just another guy players. hopefully that makes more sense. not to mention, the players listed in the op that they got for the wilkins money i think on average are older than wilkins anyway, or close, which to make clear, wasnt my point, was not talking about age. horse v pony is stud vs jag. so hopefully clear

Last edited:
I disagree with this.
Given the spot they were in, they couldn't really resign Wilkins. I understand that. However it is mismanagement to get into that spot. Could have done Wilkins last year. Didn't need to end up so much over the cap, etc. That alone was not playing things to perfection.

Having said all of that, and agreeing that given the spot they were in, it was necessary to let Wilkins go.

But winning football games is about horses, not ponies. Ponies do not make you great. You need horses on the team. Giving up 1 horse for a bunch of ponies never makes you great.

For example, if tua gets 50mm per year, and then you traded him and used the 50mm on an avg old QB, and 10 other meh players at 4mm per year, are you better or worse? My view, a lot worse. That's a lot of players too.
You realize they did offer Wilkins a contract and he bet on himself right? You act like they just waited until this year to even give it a shot with him lol

I became Dolphins fan in 1971. All my friends were Jets fans because of Joe Namath. The great thing about the NFL is all us fans can have opinions on how upcoming seasons will go. Good or bad. No one knows really. To many variables. Me being a fan for all those years mean not much really.

Last edited:
On one hand I can applaud Grier every year. But on the other he has been here, what 8 years? And all of his moves have produced 0 playoff wins.

This. I haven't missed a game since 07, but that's when my time as a Fins fan began. I missed out on the glory years. Instead, I've slogged through the Cameron + Sparano + Gase + Flores regimes. The MM regime is by far the best I've ever felt about our team. Am I content with mediocrity or just making the playoffs? Hell nah. But my frame of reference is MUCH different than the old timers. And I'm certainly not in favour of blowing it up again when it finally seems like we're getting traction and heading in the right direction.
Went to my first game in 1972….so I saw the glory years and I can honestly say last year was the most excited I have been about this team in the last 25 years!

Keep the faith, we are definitely trending upwards

A couple weeks ago if you’d posed a hypothetical trade on this forum sending out all the players that the Dolphins lost in FA thus far (and the salaries they expected to net in extensions) in return for ALL the players the Dolphins have signed thus far AND a couple of 3rd round picks, along with the other compensatory picks — I’ll bet the majority of those complaining the loudest and longest would have done the deal…..

BUT….. most of them don’t want to admit they jumped the gun and overreacted. So they won’t.

Stubborn, stubborn people.
Right, right and right again!
Love it! - LOL

Back
Top Bottom