THIS. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

THIS.

On one hand I can applaud Grier every year. But on the other he has been here, what 8 years? And all of his moves have produced 0 playoff wins.
And yet we get better as a team and in the division and are on a winning trajectory.

I bet you are only happy after you get off a roller coaster and have failed to enjoy the ride. - LOL

Not really a Grier basher, but the "circumstances" are of his own making.

It's not like he was handed a horrible situation yesterday.

Apparently, our cap and limited number of draft selections were not as "terrible" a situation as so many here had PRESUMED.

Not knowing what Grier had in mind for this season has left a lot of posters here with "egg" on their faces.

Grier's hiring actions did not occur out of the blue.

They must have been part of a larger plan, which had anticipated which veteran players were likely to be available and what their prices would probably be, and what we needed to do to strengthen this team while meeting the requirements of the cap.

Oh I certainly believe they know more than we do. I just don't think they make the right decisions based on their knowledge. I mean how many people on this board would have drafted Charles Harris over TJ Watt?

Just because Chris Grier hasn't been fired yet means he's a good GM. ZERO playoff wins. ZERO. And we only made the playoffs last season because we had the easiest schedule in decades. It won't be like that again this year. But you guys keep building statues for Chris Grier. We might win a playoff game or two in ten years. And if not in ten, maybe in twenty.

It would be difficult to be more wrong.

Miami had the third most difficult schedule in the NFL at the start of 2023.

It would be difficult to be more wrong.

Miami had the third most difficult schedule in the NFL at the start of 2023.
Oh come on, who cares what it was like before the season.

Attachments

• IMG_7076.jpeg
    IMG_7076.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 4
Grier has positioned the Dolphins to take the best player available in the draft which I didn't think possible a few weeks ago.
He has gotten the Dolphins quite a few bargains and plugged the holes in the roster all while doing so being well over the cap.
Best to judge this team on the field but I'm very encouraged by the moves so far.
In the past we were Kings of the off-season
Onto the draft .

I also used the words reset and overhaul. So what exactly are we currently calling it now, a course correction? Seems to be fluid and superfluous depending on the wind.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assessment of the players listed. Out of all those players listed, I would count two foundational players: Ramsey and Hill. These are two players that Grier had to pluck from other teams. Nothing wrong with that of course, just pointing out that they’re no-brainer acquisitions if you throw enough money on the table. And of course he did.

Defense:
• Ramsey (2)*

• Jevon Holland - disappears during games and checkered injuries. Still has of yet to fulfill his potential. Maybe a new defensive coordinator changes that, I hope so.

• Jaylen Phillips - checkered injury history dating back to college. Has a terrific motor and nice arsenal of moves, but can he come back to his pre-injury form? I hope so.

• Chubb - Solid, yet unspectacular and again with a checkered injury history. Not even going to get into the Tennessee game. Can he also come back to his pre-injury form? Who knows, but I hope that he does.

You will notice that I’m using the words hope and injuries more than I would care to mention. Just noting that for the sake of posterity.

Offense:

Tua - I think it’s fair to say that the jury is still out on our QB. Wouldn’t you say? The team and organization can pay him whatever they want, but that doesn’t magically generate success and playoff victories. I hope he takes the next step, genuinely. But if he doesn’t, or suffers another crippling injury and with Grier’s magic touch with OL would we be surprised? No.

Tyreek Hill (1)*

Waddle - Explosive player, but drops catches that he shouldn’t. Which is weird, because I don’t remember that being much of problem at Alabama. He’s a fearless player, but this has gotten him in trouble with some injuries. Again, checkered injuries and some drops. I honestly think he needs to add some more muscle and definition, without losing his speed with longevity in mind. We’ll see on this one.

Achane - Extremely exciting player to watch, but yet again derailed by injury. I don’t envision him ever being a 20-25 carry RB, but he doesn’t need that many carries. That said he’s more of a change of pace/3rd down back. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it’s hard to place him as a workhorse.

Armstead - Man, where to begin with this one. He’s the epitome of an unreliable player. Now don’t get me wrong, he’s a very good T (when healthy), but his very extensive injury history makes him a coin flip from game to game. This is not a cornerstone for your football team, but a frustrating albatross.

Jackson - Again, checkered injury history. I get it though, that donating the bone marrow to his sister may have set him back. Very noble and wonderful that I applaud. That said, he’s really only had one and half good season(s) in the NFL. Will he continue to remain healthy and playing at the same level as last year? Remains to be seen, but I sure hope that he does. Needs to have back-to-back good seasons and to remain relatively healthy.

Ingold - Good blocker, but difference maker on offense? We could lose him tomorrow and would our offense be hindered? Probably not. Mike McDaniel doesn’t use him enough even as a gadget player, but I get the blocking/thumper angle.

So by my count (and argument) I count two players as truly foundational pieces: Hill and Ramsey. Here’s the rub of it though, you’re looking at likely a two year window before the glass breaks.

Eichenberg and Ezukama are just bodies, and have done absolutely nothing impactful since being on the team. Are you noticing a trend yet? How about with Tindall? Cam Smith? All of them are synonymous with having accomplished zilch - if some of them even sniff the field.

Do you know what’s missing from this picture and the common thematic with the players you listed? Injuries, supposition, and the real lack of reliable trench grinders and space eaters of substance with a dog mentality. It’s simply not present, but they should be and also be the cornerstone for the team.

I’m not seeing what you see.
I would hate to view the world through a negative lens. Find something to enjoy. You don't seem to enjoy the Dolphin's at all. Give us all a break with the constant bummers. The common thematic??? It's football, you can bark at the moon all you want but it's all just talk until the games start to count for real. To just blindly hate the GM is really a lazy take. Things have been better lately. I want to win playoff games too!! Or I can just put you on ignore but you're a bright guy and I don't want to go there. Just cheer up a little ok? For your own good.

Oh come on, who cares what it was like before the season.

This isn’t the flex you think it is. You’re basically hanging your hat on “The only reason Miami made the playoffs is because they played the Patriots twice.”

Grier will free up more money. I haven’t followed the restructures closely but he needs to restructure Tyreek and then get the Tua deal done. Depending on how they work Tua’s deal, both of those will free up a lot of cap this season.

Jaylen Ramsay, Tyreek hill, Jaylen waddle, Jaylen Phillips, Bradley Chubb, Devon Achane and Tua aren’t impact players? Seriously dude?

They and all the others I mentioned previously are the foundational pieces that this franchise is built on. It matters not whether you like them or not, they are the foundation this current team is built on.

You can say you don’t like them, or those pieces, but you can’t say they aren’t the foundation of the team when clearly they are.

You can say that they aren’t impact players and we can all laugh at you and ask you to pass whatever you are smoking.
Not only that but the replacements for Wilkins listed in my OP are all experienced playmakers and most have playoff experience. A young roster doesn’t have that critical experience and it showed last two years. Anyone claiming Grier doesn’t know what he’s doing looks like a moron. Every GM misses on picks and some coaches too (Igbo was a Flo pick.) I would also point out how we heard for years that Grier blew it with AJax, and he was our most consistent OL last year. How about Holland and Achane, who are two of the best young playmakers in the league and potential All Pros? Were they missed picks? No one with a brain is questioning Grier at this point.

Our core players are still here. The players we lost are replaceable. You guys said we were soft so we added more physical players and better tacklers on defense. We’ll likely be better next year.
D will be significantly deeper, better and more physical next year. Vastly improved at LB, S and CB. Offense will finally have a playmaking TE and I believe we will draft another playmaking WR at 21.

Back
Top Bottom