Thisclose.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thisclose....

bert said:
i'am just a little scared about the early part of the season.with a new off,and defense, feeley will have to be ontop of his game.we will see how football smart he is.i know we will be more physical,and if we can get by early on , we can start getting stronger toward the end of the season,insted of folding like a lawn chair.with wade in the middle we will average 325 across the line.late in the year this will realy help us.i look for very close games early on in the season.go fish

That's why we need a stout D... keep it close and who knows.... look at the season in 4 game segments and assess after each segment.... if the plan is effective we should start to see the offense come on in the later part of the season provided we don't suffer too many injuries....

Great post. If you look at our record... No losing season since 98 I think, and then all of a sudden 4-12. A lot of BS happened, a WINNING team got derailed for a year. But we've got a new coaching staff with a plan and got the best running back in the draft.
We're going to surprise some people this year. I'm not going to reach and say we'll make the playoffs but I'm confident we'll have a winning season. The talent was there, now the talent is better. QB is the wildcard, if play improves there we'll be aight.

lotion said:
Great post. If you look at our record... No losing season since 98 I think, and then all of a sudden 4-12. A lot of BS happened, a WINNING team got derailed for a year. But we've got a new coaching staff with a plan and got the best running back in the draft.
We're going to surprise some people this year. I'm not going to reach and say we'll make the playoffs but I'm confident we'll have a winning season. The talent was there, now the talent is better. QB is the wildcard, if play improves there we'll be aight.

I meant 88... sorry

lotion said:

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not thinking playoffs or anything of the sort but we'll definately be tough. Just by looking at the way Saban carries himself, you can tell our team is going to have a different attitude.

We will be a physical team that will play hard for 60 minutes... some of the vets will need to get adjusted to that....

Since we only lost 1 blowout game I guess we'll be 14-2 or 15-1 this year :biggrin:

nyjunc said:
Since we only lost 1 blowout game I guess we'll be 14-2 or 15-1 this year :biggrin:

If Feeley turns into this years Drew Bree's we just might....:wink:

The #'s game does not work in my opinion.

By looking at last years #'s you really get very little information because every game situation changes depending on who is winning. In other words, teams make decisions about how to proceed based on the score. Our team was not competitive even in games in which the score was close. That is until Bates arrived. Things were somewhat different with Bates at the healm, but I think that our dismal record effected how both teams approached the game. Again, in other words, we beat new england down in Miami but if we were playing for all the marbles that day each team would have approached the game differently.

Each victory gets progressively more difficult to achieve. It is more difficult to accomplish your 5th through 8th win of the season then it is to get your first 4. It is even more difficult to get your 9th through 12th win then it is to get your 7th and 8th win. More things have to come together, teams are really shooting for you, players must deal with psychological pressures, distractions, intangibles that make winning a more difficult task to accomplish. Elite players emerge from the pack. Experience in big game situations allow the more advanced players to perform the simple tasks that get the job done. I believe in light of this that an evaluation of these #'s is more or less meaningless.

All of this said I believe we are looking at the building blocks of a championship era in Dolphin history.

Few if any teams in the league have going on what we have going on from top to bottom of our organization. Saban is the right man at the right time putting together the right formula. Thank you Nicky!

thedayafter said:
If Feeley turns into this years Drew Bree's we just might....:wink:

When I wrote "we" I was talking about the Jets :D

nyjunc said:
When I wrote "we" I was talking about the Jets :D

What position do you play for the Jets? I'm assuming you play or could possibly work for the organization (waterboy) since you said "we"

DolphinTiger said:
What position do you play for the Jets? I'm assuming you play or could possibly work for the organization (waterboy) since you said "we"

Oh boy, you are one of those :rolleyes: It's easier to type "we" than to type "NY Jets" and since I have contributed Tens of thousands of dollars to the Jets as a season ticket holder that hasn't missed a game since the 80s I guess I am entitled to "we".

raving said:
By looking at last years #'s you really get very little information because every game situation changes depending on who is winning. In other words, teams make decisions about how to proceed based on the score. Our team was not competitive even in games in which the score was close. That is until Bates arrived. Things were somewhat different with Bates at the healm, but I think that our dismal record effected how both teams approached the game. Again, in other words, we beat new england down in Miami but if we were playing for all the marbles that day each team would have approached the game differently.

Each victory gets progressively more difficult to achieve. It is more difficult to accomplish your 5th through 8th win of the season then it is to get your first 4. It is even more difficult to get your 9th through 12th win then it is to get your 7th and 8th win. More things have to come together, teams are really shooting for you, players must deal with psychological pressures, distractions, intangibles that make winning a more difficult task to accomplish. Elite players emerge from the pack. Experience in big game situations allow the more advanced players to perform the simple tasks that get the job done. I believe in light of this that an evaluation of these #'s is more or less meaningless.

All of this said I believe we are looking at the building blocks of a championship era in Dolphin history.

Few if any teams in the league have going on what we have going on from top to bottom of our organization. Saban is the right man at the right time putting together the right formula. Thank you Nicky!

That's one way to look at it.... but even given your postion... you have to agree 3 TD's and 1 FG over the course of the season represents we are more competitive than the 4-12 record indicates....

Most coaches at the end of the day look at two stats.... yards per rushing attempt and points allowed... those are true indicators.... we are right there in terms of defense and not far away on offense....

If someone was to propose you score 4 more TD's and 2 more FG's in 2005 and threw half as many INT's for TD's and the defense stayed the same... your record would be 10-6 at least would you take it....

raving said:
Again, in other words, we beat new england down in Miami but if we were playing for all the marbles that day each team would have approached the game differently.

A lot of really good points in your post, but the example you chose rubs me the wrong way. NE was playing for homefield advantage that night and that *should* be a pretty good motivation for them. I say *should* because it's the type of situation Miami has been in many, many times without being able to close the deal. We always referred to it as "choking".

Back
Top Bottom