thompson or mcknight | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

thompson or mcknight

Didn't Thompson spend time in the system under Norv in Washington??? I thought he had at least one year in it there, albeit with limited playing time, if any??? I just hope they leave the competition open for the #2 spot in training camp and let the best competitor win. Whether that be McKnight, Thompson or anyone down the line to Simmons(lol).

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
Right now, it's McKnight. But I'll come back to ya when the pads go on..

thats the same way i see it, i mean i would look fast on this team with no pads on :lol:

Tough call and a good question. I think that McKnight should start as he as the time and experience in the playbook and timing with Jay. But I think that Derrius is less likely to drop all the passes that McKnight does. In Dallas he always got a case of the 'drops' at the wrong time.

I think McKnight did play some of his best football as a Dolphin the final few games last year. However, I think two things push Thompson in as the starter.

First, it wasn't too long ago that McKnight was considered overpaid and under-achieving by the coaching staff. Heck, we signed Cris Carter out of a television studio and started him two weeks later because we didn't think McKnight was a solid #2 WR. So while the CS has praised McKnight publically in recent weeks, I am not sure how genuine the praise actually is. I think they might be trying to ward off negative comments in the press and public regarding the lack of signing or drafting a big-name WR. The FO also didn't really know exactly what they had in Thompson until seeing him on the field at mini-camp with the rest of the team. The McKnight praise also could have been pre-emptive in case Thompson did not pan out the way they hoped and McKnight had to start.

Second, I think that Chambers has been more comfortable and effective when he runs more deep patterns while a possession receiver plays the other WR (like Gadsden). Chambers struggled a bit last year when asked to run the possession routes. Thompson can play the possession receiver better than McKnight. When we go to a 3-wide formation, McKnight can come in and still play on the outside. The CS has mentioned that they want to move Chambers around in the 3-wide formation, leaving McKnight in his most natural, wide position in the formation.

I can definitely see thompson being a red zone favorite, Jay liked that ability w/ Gadsden. That big receiver that can go up and get it.

I thought McKnight did a good job stepping up last year.

Anyone remember that catch where he fell down, got up and made like 2 guys miss and ended up running for like 70 yards.

Hey, shows he doesn't quit easily ;).

I would like to see thompson beat out Mcknight but Chambers and Mcknight have are comfortable with each other.

Originally posted by 8434alltheway
Who do u guys think should be the dolphins number 2 receiver this year? thompson or mcknight..... i personally think thompson.....i thought he looked pretty good last year and from what im hearing from u guys about mini camp he sounds like a good pick up

This doesn't sound like an answer, but I think it's the reality. I want whoever performs the best throughout training camp to start. I don't really care which one. Both can be very effective (I too liked Thompson - he was on my fantasy team last year). I think the job will be open and whoever wins it will start. That's how it should be, regardless of past performance.

I think besides Jay, James is the most scrutenize member of our team..Mc Knight will start and he will finally shine..DT will come in as our third WR..It's as simple as that..I believe James will be proving alot of people wrong this year..I'm not sure if you remember all the PLAYS he made last year when his number was called upon..If Dave and Wanny bring somebody in, I strongly believe that's the best player available..So them bringing in DT I believe that he was going to complement our WR corps and just be a great addittion..

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Chambers and McKnight on the outside and mix up Chambers and Thompson in the slot role in 3 WR sets (with each getting the time outside) Enough speed with Chambers and McKnight on the outside to let Thompson and either Konrad/McMicheal/Williams to have room underneath.

That's exactly what I was going to say.....Chambers in the slot when we go three wide....Thompson and McKnight on the outside....That's CC's best position so far.

Thompson...

But McKnight will help him get the job...

I really think whats best for Chambers is to have a Possession reciever as the second WR. If you recall the first 5 or 6 games with OG, Chambers looked comfortable. With McKnight, Chambers really struggled with the posession Wr Role and I think we misused him for the second half of the year even though McKnight flourished as most of you think he did. I think Thompson will start as the #2 despite what Wanny said on the post draft day and especially after we saw some of the speed explosions at the mini camp. The big IF with this idea is when Thompson puts on the pads can he have the speed, go over the middle and have the great hands. We don't know yet and I think Wanny doesn't know yet either.

The job should be McKnight's to lose, but I think Thompson will take it.

Originally posted by booyeah_
The job should be McKnight's to lose, but I think Thompson will take it.

When, before the season starts or after the season starts?

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom