Those Who Are Against Drafting Alex Smith... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Those Who Are Against Drafting Alex Smith...

feeley is fine for this year. you guys have no faith in him. did you see him play in the later part of the season? he was progressing and he deserves the chance to prove himself this year. if he doesn't progress, the in the first round of next years draft, we will get our QB where the QB class is much deeper and contains some REAL talent unlike the overhyped smith and tedford rodgers, both of whom wont do jack in this league.

dolfanmark said:
If this was last year, Alex Smith would be rated about equal to JP Losman. The only reason he is being hyped is because this draft is very weak on QB talent. In fact, many experts are saying that Charlie Frye or Jason Campbell may be the best QBs in the draft, long term. If we were to draft Smith at #2, it would be a major reach, and not good value for the pick.

That's already been debunked. Alex Smith carries the exact same grade Eli Manning carried last year.

CaptainCharisma said:
What if someone else drafts Smith and he ends up being some bonafide QB in the NFL?

You can say that about any player in the draft. Look, what with the rule changes on D, the WR's have a huge advantage plus a vertical game opens up your ground game as well. Do you really want to go into the season w/2 young guys (Feely and Smith)?

CaptainCharisma said:
What if someone else drafts Smith and he ends up being some bonafide QB in the NFL?

What if we draft him and he's a bust?

CaptainCharisma said:
Feeley will be terrible don't worry, and he's 28 or 29.

I don't think so, IMO. How can u tell? Did he have a decent OL or running game to support him? You'd have to agree he has a better arm than Fiedler. I saw potential in him that can be used if:

he has an OL to protect him
he has a decnt running game
he has weapons at wr and te
the coaching is better

I know the coaching will be better. The other 3 will remain to be seen.

The reason I am against drafting Smith is not because he isnt good, it is because I feel that if he is drafted, he will be a back-up the entire season. Not too many QB start there first season. So might as well get someone in who can produce immidiatly. Also although I say Smith is not terrible, he is overated because there are no great picks like there has been for the last few years. Just my opinion.

Has anyone considered this:

Hypothetically speaking, lets say we draft ROnnie Brown and he turns out to be another Rick Williams (no, not that way!) talent wise. He runs for 1800 yds and scores a bunch of td's.

How is that different from 2002, when we had the #1 ground game but a sorry apssing game? They're still going to stack the line!!!

Kthurmus23 said:
The reason I am against drafting Smith is not because he isnt good, it is because I feel that if he is drafted, he will be a back-up the entire season. Not too many QB start there first season. So might as well get someone in who can produce immidiatly. Also although I say Smith is not terrible, he is overated because there are no great picks like there has been for the last few years. Just my opinion.

I don't see how anyone can say that he isn't good. You've never seen him play. Just admit it. There is no harm in admitting that you are talking out of your ***.

Someone that isn't good can complete 65% of his passes and have a 7:1 TD:INT ratio.

MiaMarino said:
Has anyone considered this:

Hypothetically speaking, lets say we draft ROnnie Brown and he turns out to be another Rick Williams (no, not that way!) talent wise. He runs for 1800 yds and scores a bunch of td's.

How is that different from 2002, when we had the #1 ground game but a sorry apssing game? They're still going to stack the line!!!
No they're not because Feeley has the arm to make them pay. Fiedler didn't.

Alex Smith is an investment, pure and simple. Not unlike early every year when I surrender a few thousand into my Roth IRA when I damn sure could have more short term fun by utilizing it otherwise.

Let's say we take Alex Smith. Anyone who hasn't seen him will be immediately disappointed next August. You'll see a gangly and apparently undernoursihed kid with a longer than ideal delivery and not the greatest arm. He throws more wobblers than tight spirals. Somewhat uncomfortable dropping back from center and he bails on the play a little early, instead of exhausting every downfield opportunity. At that point he runs a bit hunched over but takes off with excellent quickness and agility. If he's forced to play as a rookie, it will no doubt resemble Eli Manning more than Marino/Roethlisberger. The best plays will unfold as ad libs via his feet, not arm.

Someone posted a few days ago that Alex Smith was much less imposing than any top pick QB. That could not be more accurate. In Alex Smith you're banking on what he'll look like 3-4 years from now, when he's filled out and is the age a typical 1st or 2nd year player would be. I think it would be an astute investment, like when I loaded up on Apple stock once Steve Jobs introduced the iPod. Notice I tout the winners. Some of my stocks turned into penny pulp.

Jnaledu3 said:
:lol:

Shows how much you know..
BTW, feel free to show me some reason why I'm wrong....Alex can clearly run better....got anything else?

CaptainCharisma said:
I see so many posts of people saying not to draft Alex Smith...

Therefore, I want to know...why shouldn't we draft Alex Smith and who would be a better person to draft at #2?

It's amazing when I see people write negatively about Smith and say "let's draft Derrick Johnson at #2!" :roflmao:

I agree. If Smith is there, we have to take him (unless we get a great offer to trade down). If Smith is there, Saban will be elated.

But, right now, I believe the odds are 10% that he will be there, 90% that SF will take him.

Back
Top Bottom