Those Who Are Against Drafting Alex Smith... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Those Who Are Against Drafting Alex Smith...

CaptainCharisma said:
What if someone else drafts Smith and he ends up being some bonafide QB in the NFL?

Thats the price you pay. It is like Saban said, "only 30% of 1st round QBs make it in the league". That is not good odds if ya ask me.

inFINSible said:
BTW, feel free to show me some reason why I'm wrong....Alex can clearly run better....got anything else?
Are you really trying to make this a legit argument? If you have ever seen Smith play you would know he is far from Dorsey. When Dorsey was at UM I always said people don't realize how much he benefits from his recievers. Constantly his recievers would have to break off their routes to catch his passes or make a nice catch. Smith's arm strenght is much better than Dorsey's. Smith doesn't have great arm strenght, but it is better than average. Dorsey had no arm strength. Smith is much more accurate and much more athletic. He is stronger, smarter, and a better leader. Dorsey was a good leader, but from what I understand Smith has that "it" factor that the greats have as far as command of the huddle. Should I go on? There is a reason that Dorsey was a late round pick and Smith is probably going #1. The comparison is rediculous.

Awsi Dooger said:
Alex Smith is an investment, pure and simple. Not unlike early every year when I surrender a few thousand into my Roth IRA when I damn sure could have more short term fun by utilizing it otherwise.

Let's say we take Alex Smith. Anyone who hasn't seen him will be immediately disappointed next August. You'll see a gangly and apparently undernoursihed kid with a longer than ideal delivery and not the greatest arm. He throws more wobblers than tight spirals. Somewhat uncomfortable dropping back from center and he bails on the play a little early, instead of exhausting every downfield opportunity. At that point he runs a bit hunched over but takes off with excellent quickness and agility. If he's forced to play as a rookie, it will no doubt resemble Eli Manning more than Marino/Roethlisberger. The best plays will unfold as ad libs via his feet, not arm.

Someone posted a few days ago that Alex Smith was much less imposing than any top pick QB. That could not be more accurate. In Alex Smith you're banking on what he'll look like 3-4 years from now, when he's filled out and is the age a typical 1st or 2nd year player would be. I think it would be an astute investment, like when I loaded up on Apple stock once Steve Jobs introduced the iPod. Notice I tout the winners. Some of my stocks turned into penny pulp.

I disagree. Based on what I've seen from Alex Smith, I see a QB that wasn't asked to throw the ball down the field yet showed great zip on his intermediate throws. I also saw a quarterback who knew which player would be open before the ball was ever snapped. The guy is great at making the pre-snap reads. He's got an extremely high football IQ to go with the physical abilities he possesses. His throwing motion is not any longer than Ben Roethlisberger's was or Byron Leftwich's.

KB21 said:
I don't see how anyone can say that he isn't good. You've never seen him play. Just admit it. There is no harm in admitting that you are talking out of your ***.

Someone that isn't good can complete 65% of his passes and have a 7:1 TD:INT ratio.

Hey buddy did you miss what I wrote because if you did then you would see that I said the reason I am not for drafting him isnt because he is not goo, but because he will hold a clipboard most the season, if not all the season. I said that he may be overated, but only because when he played his college games, he mainly did short routes out of the shotgun. Not too many drop back plays. Which leads me to my finnal comment, yes I have seen him play, because along with ordering the sunday ticket every year, I also whatch alot of college games on saturdays. So thinking that you have me pegged because of a comment I made, that you miss read, and then coming back at me is talking out of your ***.

inFINSible said:
BTW, feel free to show me some reason why I'm wrong....Alex can clearly run better....got anything else?

I dont remember that scouts ever considered Dorsey to be a top ten pick.They are the experts and probably can differentiate the nuances between the two which we cant from reading bios.Just about all the scouts have Smith as a top 5 pick and many have him as the best QB in this years draft.

QBs at that a high a pick are a risk but its a risk that must be taken at some time and especially with a new head coach in place.

Kthurmus23 said:
Hey buddy did you miss what I wrote because if you did then you would see that I said the reason I am not for drafting him isnt because he is not goo, but because he will hold a clipboard most the season, if not all the season. I said that he may be overated, but only because when he played his college games, he mainly did short routes out of the shotgun. Not too many drop back plays. Which leads me to my finnal comment, yes I have seen him play, because along with ordering the sunday ticket every year, I also whatch alot of college games on saturdays. So thinking that you have me pegged because of a comment I made, that you miss read, and then coming back at me is talking out of your ***.

Well, first of all, I never talk out of my ***.

Secondly, what quarterback is going to step right in and start as a rookie and not struggle? Ben Roethlisberger is the exception, not the rule.

When did the quarterback position become so meaningless that you shouldn't use a first round pick to get one?

KB21 said:
Well, first of all, I never talk out of my ***.

Secondly, what quarterback is going to step right in and start as a rookie and not struggle? Ben Roethlisberger is the exception, not the rule.

When did the quarterback position become so meaningless that you shouldn't use a first round pick to get one?

I am not saying the position is meaningless anymore just that it is not as much a need as RB IMO. And that was my point that no QB comesin right away that is why I feel that the Phins should go with someone who can start producing ASAP. In most cases that is a RB. Not too many QB's come in right away, very few WR's get more then 1000 yrds in a rookie season, it isnt until the 3 breakout year that they produce respectable numbers. A top back usually does produce from game 1 and on.

I am against draftign smith at #2 for 2 reasons ! 1. I don't think he is that good to be drafted at #2. 2. He wants aboatload of money for a guy who aint done ****! I would much rather pay that money to a wr or rb who can help us starting now not 2 or 3 years down the road when his contract is half up!

sports24/7 said:
Are you really trying to make this a legit argument? If you have ever seen Smith play you would know he is far from Dorsey. When Dorsey was at UM I always said people don't realize how much he benefits from his recievers. Constantly his recievers would have to break off their routes to catch his passes or make a nice catch. Smith's arm strenght is much better than Dorsey's. Smith doesn't have great arm strenght, but it is better than average. Dorsey had no arm strength. Smith is much more accurate and much more athletic. He is stronger, smarter, and a better leader. Dorsey was a good leader, but from what I understand Smith has that "it" factor that the greats have as far as command of the huddle. Should I go on? There is a reason that Dorsey was a late round pick and Smith is probably going #1. The comparison is rediculous.
C'mon, Alex Smith's arm is not going down in history as the strongest one ever drafted and Dorsey's certainly wasn't the weakest one....as a matter of fact every draft profile I've read has at least one comment about Smith's lack of ideal arm strength. it's a given that Smith's biggest weakeness if you want to call it that is his arm strength. Even if you don't agree that it's inadequate, that doesn't mean that it's not without question.

Dorsey wasn't much more maligned for his arm strength.....this is from NFL.com draft showcase....
Dropback passer with good arm strength … Sets up quickly to see the field and looks very comfortable with his follow-through … Rarely forces the ball and gets rid of the pigskin with a smooth motion … Can make the short and deep throws … Puts good zip behind his attempts, displaying a tight spiral … Knows how to take something off the ball to make the easy toss and shows great confidence in his touch … Takes his time spotting his targets and never is rattled by pressure … Displays great presence in the huddle … While he is mostly a dropback passer, he does have the agility to roll out of the pocket and throw on the run … Knows how to look defenses off to spot his secondary targets.
Same source on Smith....
Shows very good accuracy in the short-to-intermediate areas, but does not have a cannon for an arm to be a "homerun threat" on his deep throws … Does a good job of squaring his shoulders and delivering the ball on target consistently....Shows very good ability to hit his targets in stride and is quick to see and feel the pass rush … It is very rare that he will make a bad throw, but there are times when he is caught in the backfield because he held on to the ball too long (seven of his 13 sacks led to fumbles) … Shows good accuracy when on the run, but does lose some velocity behind his deep tosses when rolling out …Smith is a quiet leader with the toughness to take a hit … Has no trouble avoiding the rush and is quick to pick up the blitz … Shows alertness to make calls at the line of scrimmage and will create big plays out of nothing when forced to tuck and run with the ball … However, he needs to secure the ball better, as he has had a rash of fumbles due to arm tackles … Has enough arm strength to throw the 18-yard comeback and deep outs with zip and timing … His scrambling ability affords him time to make the throws and he does a nice job of feathering the ball over receivers' heads … On long tosses, Smith has adequate strength, but tends to throw too close to the defender rather than to the sideline side of his target … Overall, he has very good upside, but he would be better served in a wide-open attack, where he is better at improvising …

CrunchTime said:
I dont remember that scouts ever considered Dorsey to be a top ten pick.They are the experts and probably can differentiate the nuances between the two which we cant from reading bios.Just about all the scouts have Smith as a top 5 pick and many have him as the best QB in this years draft.

QBs at that a high a pick are a risk but its a risk that must be taken at some time and especially with a new head coach in place.
I'm sure there's some diffrence but, the experts have been wrong many many times before.

Kthurmus23 said:
The reason I am against drafting Smith is not because he isnt good, it is because I feel that if he is drafted, he will be a back-up the entire season. Not too many QB start there first season. So might as well get someone in who can produce immidiatly. Also although I say Smith is not terrible, he is overated because there are no great picks like there has been for the last few years. Just my opinion.

Ok then id be fine with Aaron Rodgers hes more NFL ready now if we draft him I expect he will start right away. Hes more polished and has better throwing mechanics at worst case scenerio better than Feeley,Fiedler and Ferrote.
He throws a very catchable ball with a tight spiral. He has a quick release and he can even scramble fairly well. If Ricky and David Boston come back we'll be all set to go fully loaded.This is an aging defense I think we can turn this thing around like the Chargers.
I wudnt be surprised if Smith goes to 49ers and Fins pickup Rodgers for all we know Saban has alrdy told Ricky to get back in shape and with Chambers,Booker,Boston,Derrius and Mcmichael we'll be ready to roll.

truth is no one...not one single expert out, there know how Smith is going to play in a Pro style offense....If the experts had the same amount of game film from Smith in a pro style offense, they might rate him the same as Dorsey.

KB21 said:
I disagree. Based on what I've seen from Alex Smith, I see a QB that wasn't asked to throw the ball down the field yet showed great zip on his intermediate throws. I also saw a quarterback who knew which player would be open before the ball was ever snapped. The guy is great at making the pre-snap reads. He's got an extremely high football IQ to go with the physical abilities he possesses. His throwing motion is not any longer than Ben Roethlisberger's was or Byron Leftwich's.

I agree with all the intelligence and instincts stuff. That system was very sophisticated and Smith was extremely well prepared. He inevitably made the correct reads. I probably left out a key point in my previous post. When Smith is pressured and the play broke down, I thought he bailed a little early and took off instead of finding a place behind the line of scrimmage to settle and look downfield. But those plays are very rare plus you're looking at the likelihood of linemen down field.

I wouldn't call his intermediate zip great. Above average but not great. I agree, his throwing motion is shorter than Leftwich and probably comparable to Roethlisberger. But Roethlisberger's arm is superior, IMO, which makes his somewhat elongated motion less problematic.

Kthurmus23 said:
I am not saying the position is meaningless anymore just that it is not as much a need as RB IMO. And that was my point that no QB comesin right away that is why I feel that the Phins should go with someone who can start producing ASAP. In most cases that is a RB. Not too many QB's come in right away, very few WR's get more then 1000 yrds in a rookie season, it isnt until the 3 breakout year that they produce respectable numbers. A top back usually does produce from game 1 and on.

How is RB a bigger need when the quarterback position is so unsettled on this team? If we don't take a quarterback this year, then we are up **** creek without a paddel in the future at this position. AJ Feeley is not going to be the guy. The coaches have already shown that they have no confidence in him at all, so he's obviously not made any sort of impression on them. Gus Frerotte is a 2-3 year stop gap at best, and Miami won't get another opportunity to draft a legitimate franchise quarterback in the next few years.

I like a QB competition next year involving Feeley, Ferrotte and Alex Smith. For the last 9 years we have had HCs who didnt know squat about the postition trying to force square pegs into round holes. Im hoping with Nick and Linehan we have coaches who Know how to evaluate a QB and will let the one who gives us the best chance to win start.

Back
Top Bottom