Thoughts on the OL after the draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on the OL after the draft

Finswatch

Club Member
Reaction score
It hit me last week how close we were to solidifying the offensive line. I like Chop and would have taken him over Graham Barton, it was close, but I thought that Chop has more potential this season and going forward to help the Dolphins more than Graham Barton. I don't think Grier was/is wrong to prioritize the pass rusher over OL if the edge guy has a similar grade to the OL you're considering but you missed out on a guy who is probably going to be an all-Pro for a decade for the Steelers and you were one pick away,

If we were willing to give up a 2025 third for a great running back (this I have to admit was a luxury pick, as much as I like the player), we should have been willing to do the same to get a great OL who could have played G or T for us.

I believe in drafting the best player at a position of need, and don't feel like we did that with second round pick, Patrick Paul. We needed to get at least 2 players in this draft who could come in and play well this year. Maybe we did that by doubling up on edge players and slot receivers but we still have a hole in the middle of the OL that needs to be fixed in the next few weeks or months.

I would have been great with a RG in round 2 after taking Chop. Pick my guy Haynes from UConn, he plays right away imo. There were other guys available who were potential starters on the IOL. Would have saved us the $5-8 mil we're going to need to pay for van Roten or Risner.

I hope I'm wrong about Patrick Paul and that he gets the coaching he needs to become a viable starter by 2025 but what if he languishes like some of our recent OL day 1 or 2 picks have? I was encouraged by the articles about AJ dedicating himself to improving and becoming mentally and physically ready to play but it took the guy three frickin years and not getting his 5th year option picked up to get his ass in gear. Maybe he and TA become better examples for Paul, I don't know what to believe about our second round pick. Here's what I've read on him in no particular order:

"He doesn't bend well, he's a great athlete who can move, he was poorly coached by Dana Holmgren at Houston, he is a polished pass protector, he's a technical nightmare who relies way too much on size and length. He's inexperienced, he's played a ton of games, he's improved and is dedicated to his craft."

I can't remember reading more conflicting info about a prospect. We can only hope that Butch Barry and the vets can get to work on him and it takes. I have felt forever that Miami picking any OL in rounds 1-3 was usually a waste because we had no idea how to evaluate or develop offensive linemen since Jimmy Johnson left town. I think Butch Barry is the first good OL coach we've had in a long time but we've been hamstrung with a lack of picks and cap space in the past few years, We need Barry to do more with less.

I had an argument in here with a fan who said we should have taken the Duke C, the lower rated UM guard Keegan and the PSU C over Wright. I thought those were crazy suggestions at the time. He mentioned good teams and good drafting teams like KC and Philly drafting multiple OL in every draft. The fan was right esp about Philly that seems to keep adding to a wealth of talent on the OL every year. I don't know how they're going to fit Juergens, Keegan, Steen and all the young talent they have into the lineup but they don't care. Nor does KC who also keeps adding to the OL and took a bad line a few years ago and made it better with FAs and Trey Smith and Humphrey.

I do think the better teams have had better coaching and better scouts when it comes to developing o-line prospects. Maybe that changes with Barry and a full complement of draft picks next year. not sure what the cap situation will be but I could see a need for 2-3 more starters on that line next year. If Paul can play and Brewer is good that number drops to maybe one player but it would be nice to load up on middle round picks like the Eagles do and start selecting more IOL players in the middle rounds.

"I feel better about the OL this year. There are some unheralded pieces that may come into play and I think someone like Dalton Risner is waiting in the wings." - me to my peeps.

Lol, sure HOPE I'm right and not RONG!

I had an argument in here with a fan who said we should have taken the Duke C, the lower rated UM guard Keegan and the PSU C over Wright. I thought those were crazy suggestions at the time. He mentioned good teams and good drafting teams like KC and Philly drafting multiple OL in every draft. The fan was right esp about Philly that seems to keep adding to a wealth of talent on the OL every year. I don't know how they're going to fit Juergens, Keegan, Steen and all the young talent they have into the lineup but they don't care. Nor does KC who also keeps adding to the OL and took a bad line a few years ago and made it better with FAs and Trey Smith and Humphrey.

I've been screaming this all off season. It wasn't me you had the argument with but I've been saying our first two draft picks should be o line... we need them desperately. No matter what the clowns say about it doesn't matter because Tua has such a quick release... bull ****!!! And what if Tua gets hurt again? Now we watch the back up get screwed because the o line is horrible.

I'll go on record to say we messed up big time this draft. We picked players that are not ready to start and are ****ing project players... only ****ing Grier man...

The OL is as big a mystery as it ever was. If it weren't so sad, it would be comical. Year after year the offensive line is what's talked about and the Fins never truly fix it. They keep putting band-aids in place and hoping and praying. From the starters to the backups the OL is perpetually in a state of flux. It's 2024 and the LT is a lock to miss multiple games, there's no starting LG identified, the new Center is an unknown, and there's no starting RG identified. Ironically, the much-maligned AJ grabbed hold of the RT spot and is "the anchor". Thankfully, there's a whole offseason to try and figure this out. But, if Butch Barry can make lemonade out of this bag of lemons, then build a special wing for him in Canton.

It hit me last week how close we were to solidifying the offensive line. I like Chop and would have taken him over Graham Barton, it was close, but I thought that Chop has more potential this season and going forward to help the Dolphins more than Graham Barton. I don't think Grier was/is wrong to prioritize the pass rusher over OL if the edge guy has a similar grade to the OL you're considering but you missed out on a guy who is probably going to be an all-Pro for a decade for the Steelers and you were one pick away,

If we were willing to give up a 2025 third for a great running back (this I have to admit was a luxury pick, as much as I like the player), we should have been willing to do the same to get a great OL who could have played G or T for us.

I believe in drafting the best player at a position of need, and don't feel like we did that with second round pick, Patrick Paul. We needed to get at least 2 players in this draft who could come in and play well this year. Maybe we did that by doubling up on edge players and slot receivers but we still have a hole in the middle of the OL that needs to be fixed in the next few weeks or months.

I would have been great with a RG in round 2 after taking Chop. Pick my guy Haynes from UConn, he plays right away imo. There were other guys available who were potential starters on the IOL. Would have saved us the $5-8 mil we're going to need to pay for van Roten or Risner.

I hope I'm wrong about Patrick Paul and that he gets the coaching he needs to become a viable starter by 2025 but what if he languishes like some of our recent OL day 1 or 2 picks have? I was encouraged by the articles about AJ dedicating himself to improving and becoming mentally and physically ready to play but it took the guy three frickin years and not getting his 5th year option picked up to get his ass in gear. Maybe he and TA become better examples for Paul, I don't know what to believe about our second round pick. Here's what I've read on him in no particular order:

"He doesn't bend well, he's a great athlete who can move, he was poorly coached by Dana Holmgren at Houston, he is a polished pass protector, he's a technical nightmare who relies way too much on size and length. He's inexperienced, he's played a ton of games, he's improved and is dedicated to his craft."

I can't remember reading more conflicting info about a prospect. We can only hope that Butch Barry and the vets can get to work on him and it takes. I have felt forever that Miami picking any OL in rounds 1-3 was usually a waste because we had no idea how to evaluate or develop offensive linemen since Jimmy Johnson left town. I think Butch Barry is the first good OL coach we've had in a long time but we've been hamstrung with a lack of picks and cap space in the past few years, We need Barry to do more with less.

I do think the better teams have had better coaching and better scouts when it comes to developing o-line prospects. Maybe that changes with Barry and a full complement of draft picks next year. not sure what the cap situation will be but I could see a need for 2-3 more starters on that line next year. If Paul can play and Brewer is good that number drops to maybe one player but it would be nice to load up on middle round picks like the Eagles do and start selecting more IOL players in the middle rounds.
I agree with your premise bc I love Fautanu and really wanted him but do you think the rams would have made a trade with us knowing how much Grier and McDaniel love edges? I feel like if they did trade with the Rams they probably would've taken Verse, not Fautanu. Could be wrong but it seems like edge was the pick the entire time as long as one of the top 4 were there at 21

That was me and I wouldn’t call it an argument just a friendly debate as long as it’s kept respectful which it was between us.

I appreciate you reflecting on my arguments and trying to see the other side of the coin. That encourages me to try and do the same from my point of view. In other words… look at whoever else side of the argument openly and truly consider it.

Appreciate the kind words and the reflection. Also very good post.

You know where I stand so I won’t keep repeating it.

Kion Smith, Ryan Hayes, Isiah Wynn, Liam Eichenburg, Chasen Hines, Robert Jones

Butch Barry has been developing all 6 guys in our system.

So you have the 2nd year in the system and you have a good teacher teaching them.

Two pluses in that regard.

So we have a lot of developmental guys ready to step up or get cut.

Loved the Steelers and Tomlin’s draft approach that they just want to roll people 😂

Barry/Smith/McDaniel are as good or better OL teaching and scheming than any in the league. Despite this, I'm worrying that they're overconfident, and either injuries, or "can't polish a turd syndrome" will scuttle the OL, and possibly the season. Hope they're not done personnel wise. Or some of our guys really develop.

I think they'll be ok. I really hope Paul doesn't get thrown out there this year though. He's way too raw.

Well, I thought guard was the biggest weakness entering the draft. It looks like the biggest question mark after the draft.

I liked the Pittsburgh approach. They always value offensive line.

Maybe Grier and McDaniel see it differently?

I do like the Paul pick. I just think he needs technique work and watch out. His success rate in pass protection says a lot considering he is a work on progress. I think working with Armstead will really help him reach his ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom