Thoughts on the OL after the draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on the OL after the draft

You would think Ross would spend the đź’° on scouting and coaching to fix this. It's much cheaper than buying NFL talent and missing on draft picks. Great teams draft the talent in front of them and that's productive talent. Those first 2 picks smells like Griers and matches his mo like the 2 past years with both Smith and that linebacker both physical specimens that past the eye and need test but not the production and football smarts.

He played 39 games and over 2600 snaps over the previous 3 years in college. How much more experience does he need?
To be fair… he played in the Big 12… not exactly the SEC West.

That’s not the be all end all but let’s face it… the Big 12 outside of Texas isn’t exactly producing top level DL.

This is coming from someone that would have taken Kingsley Suamataia in that spot but is ok with the Paul pick bc his upside really is A+. His arm length is incredible but he is raw.

He will need time against NFL level EDGE rushers. A lot of times on his tape you can see he depends on his size to do the job and bc of his size and talent he got away with it at Houston.

He wont get away with just that at the NFL level. You need real technique which requires coaching. Miami loves him bc of his pass blocking ability and believes they can coach up the run blocking aspect.

I've been screaming this all off season. It wasn't me you had the argument with but I've been saying our first two draft picks should be o line... we need them desperately. No matter what the clowns say about it doesn't matter because Tua has such a quick release... bull ****!!! And what if Tua gets hurt again? Now we watch the back up get screwed because the o line is horrible.

I'll go on record to say we messed up big time this draft. We picked players that are not ready to start and are ****ing project players... only ****ing Grier man...
I've bitched at you for your draft reactions, but I do understand the OL concerns. But most drafted players aren't ready to start. I understand you may want a 1st rounder to start but other than that, it's not about starting year one.

The OL is as big a mystery as it ever was. If it weren't so sad, it would be comical. Year after year the offensive line is what's talked about and the Fins never truly fix it. They keep putting band-aids in place and hoping and praying. From the starters to the backups the OL is perpetually in a state of flux. It's 2024 and the LT is a lock to miss multiple games, there's no starting LG identified, the new Center is an unknown, and there's no starting RG identified. Ironically, the much-maligned AJ grabbed hold of the RT spot and is "the anchor". Thankfully, there's a whole offseason to try and figure this out. But, if Butch Barry can make lemonade out of this bag of lemons, then build a special wing for him in Canton.

True. But in fairness, last years line or starting unit did a pretty darn good job before the injuries.

So I do think last year wad a real attempt to address the line.

It just appears to me that this staff would like to address O line in FA moreso then the draft.

If Brewer works out in this scheme, in theory Miami would be set at both Tackles and C for a while.

Guard is easier to address. But if Brewer works out, the o line will be in decent shape IMO

He played 39 games and over 2600 snaps over the previous 3 years in college. How much more experience does he need?
He hasn't played polished NFL lineman who will expose his awful technique. He played well enough in college based on pure strength and size. That won't cut it anymore. He's going to need coaching, dedication to improving his fundamentals, and practice against seasoned pros before he's ready to protect our "franchise QB" while bullets are flying.

That was me and I wouldn’t call it an argument just a friendly debate as long as it’s kept respectful which it was between us.

I appreciate you reflecting on my arguments and trying to see the other side of the coin. That encourages me to try and do the same from my point of view. In other words… look at whoever else side of the argument openly and truly consider it.

Appreciate the kind words and the reflection. Also very good post.

You know where I stand so I won’t keep repeating it.
Right back at you.

I now believe that multiple OL in every draft, rather than multiple WRs or skill guys, is the right way to go. But we have to make sure we don't go into any drafts with less than 7 picks. Let's make it 10 as often as we can

My cousin is a huge Eagles fan, and a smart guy. He doesn't like Howie Roseman's work in most drafts and we disagree on this point. I looked at what Philly does in every draft and it is almost always among the best in the league, imo. This year, even with what most would say is an elite OL, they decided to add additional talent to the OL. They decided to upgrade from Jack Driscoll and we decided to sign Jack and draft a developmental LT and add a few additional pieces that probably wouldn't be more than second or third stringers for the Eagles.

He hasn't played polished NFL lineman who will expose his awful technique. He played well enough in college based on pure strength and size. That won't cut it anymore. He's going to need coaching, dedication to improving his fundamentals, and practice against seasoned pros before he's ready to protect our "franchise QB" while bullets are flying.
With as much playing time as he has had, its worrisome that he hasnt improved or cleaned up some of these flaws in his game. It makes me wonder if it can be fixed if it hasnt been fixed by now. Its not like his college coaches didnt already realize these things and try to fix them and coach him up.

I've bitched at you for your draft reactions, but I do understand the OL concerns. But most drafted players aren't ready to start. I understand you may want a 1st rounder to start but other than that, it's not about starting year one.
I hear ya. I think the players in round one were more ready to start than paul is. Plus they are more inclined to be thrown in right away than later by the coaching staff, of all teams, not just us. We really needed one to be able to play THIS year and unfortunately I'm not sure Paul will be ready. That's just my opinion.

With as much playing time as he has had, its worrisome that he hasnt improved or cleaned up some of these flaws in his game. It makes me wonder if it can be fixed if it hasnt been fixed by now. Its not like his college coaches didnt already realize these things and try to fix them and coach him up.
True. I'm not sure how good his coaches were. I would hope our are better. It's up to them and him to get the issues addressed.

I hear ya. I think the players in round one were more ready to start than paul is. Plus they are more inclined to be thrown in right away than later by the coaching staff, of all teams, not just us. We really needed one to be able to play THIS year and unfortunately I'm not sure Paul will be ready. That's just my opinion.
Fair enough. Rational concern.

They still haven't fixed the guards. I'm still angry.

To be fair… he played in the Big 12… not exactly the SEC West.

That’s not the be all end all but let’s face it… the Big 12 outside of Texas isn’t exactly producing top level DL.

This is coming from someone that would have taken Kingsley Suamataia in that spot but is ok with the Paul pick bc his upside really is A+. His arm length is incredible but he is raw.

He will need time against NFL level EDGE rushers. A lot of times on his tape you can see he depends on his size to do the job and bc of his size and talent he got away with it at Houston.

He wont get away with just that at the NFL level. You need real technique which requires coaching. Miami loves him bc of his pass blocking ability and believes they can coach up the run blocking aspect.

Houston was in the B12 for 2022 only. Prior to that, UH was in the AAC.

Back
Top Bottom