Three 7th Round Picks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Three 7th Round Picks

seriously crazy idea.. but how far do you guys think marcus vick will drop?? i doubt 7... anyways crazy idea but yea i am agreeing that probably 2 wont be starters or backups... but i think saban will find one that will really help this team... in one of our few problem areas... lol i know we have to wait and see if any other problems pop up. GO FINZZZ:dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins:

I think Houck has likely been tasked with finding a couple of reserves with potential he can get with two of those picks.

nighttrain76 said:
Coaches like Saban & Belichick can find players in late rounds that can start their rookie season or at least make a contribution.

Name one of Saban's last year draftee who made this kind of impact.

vadolfan said:
Derrick Pope and Kevin Vickerson are both 7th rounders that will be solid contributors to this team. Pope already has played well for us.

We could use a couple of them to move up, but you can certainly find good players with 7th round picks.

Derrick Pope Especially. He could be one hell of a starter in the future. He shut down Sean Alexander in 2004 when he subbed for Zach Thomas in the second half (Not a lot of rookies, let alone any that were selected in the seventh round, can say that.)

Fast forward to 2005: We see a glimpse of the future starting LB Corps during the Bills game: Pope, Crowder, and Spragan (though who knows what Spragan future is...). He was having quite a day. Of course, that was over-shadowed by the disappointing play of our secondary.

Pope is pretty much proof you can find a great player anywhere.

Keenan McCardel was in like the 11th round or something like that also!

MDFINFAN said:
Name one of Saban's last year draftee who made this kind of impact.

Draftee, or seventh round draftee?

Because if you mean any draftee?

Ronnie Brown

Matt Roth (to a point....)

Channing Crowder

Travis Daniels

Manuel Wright

Now as for Kevin Vickerson (since I believe you meant seventh round pick), the man got injured off of a cheap block during the pre-season. Nick Saban has praised him after the "brook trout" fiasco. So I believe he would of at least contributed. Hell, he probably would of been in there with Manuel Wright giving hell to the Bills/Chargers O-line. But that's my humble opinion.

SuperBowlin07 said:
We will be lucky to get one contributor, but likely we will get career reserves

Career reserves are very important. Our best back up in phins history, Earl Morral, proved that.

In addition to Vickerson, Shirdonya Mitchell (undrafted rookie FA) is expected to contribute. And he could very well have a great impact on KR's and as a CB. Saban loved this guy before his injury. Blazing fast with good cover skills.

Believe me, guys like Larry Allen, Leon Lett, Tom Brady, and on and on and on...are found late in drafts. It was even harder back when there were 12 rounds in the draft...but it was possible.

I think DT's, OL and possibly a hidden gem QB can be had that late in this years draft.

The difference in physical ability between a 7th round pick and a 1st round pick isn't that great. The difference generally tends to lie in motivation and work ethic issues as well as the old unquantifiable football intelligence.

A good coach who can light a fire underneath a young player with ability has a better chance of turning a 7th rounder into a contributor than coach who doesn't have the same motivational skills. Also, sometomes a player is not utilised to their full effect by their college coaching staff and a change of coaching can help a player go from so-so to pretty damn good.

As people have said by the 7th round all the sure fire can't miss prospects are gone and you're deep into gambling territory.

Pauly said:
The difference in physical ability between a 7th round pick and a 1st round pick isn't that great. The difference generally tends to lie in motivation and work ethic issues as well as the old unquantifiable football intelligence.

A good coach who can light a fire underneath a young player with ability has a better chance of turning a 7th rounder into a contributor than coach who doesn't have the same motivational skills. Also, sometomes a player is not utilised to their full effect by their college coaching staff and a change of coaching can help a player go from so-so to pretty damn good.

As people have said by the 7th round all the sure fire can't miss prospects are gone and you're deep into gambling territory.

What a way to look at. :yes:

"I agree" great talent has come out of the later rounds. The Fins are filled with them. Sammy Morris was a fith round pick by buffalo, ironacly enough even one of our newest accusitions was a 7th round pick(Reynaldo Hill). Yeramiah Bell was a 6th round pick, Derrick Pope a 7th round pick, all solid players making positive contributions to the best team in football. Man there's solid picks out there. Those players mentality is "do or die my only shot" because in the backs of their minds they know they may not get another one. TheRealMotherFuqquin12Man

As to other solid Dolphin picks. 1999 DT Jermaine Haley who was a solid 3rd DT rotating in for Bowens/Gardener.

It's a crap shoot but at times you get lucky. Houck turned a 7th round draft pick into a starting RT for San Diego in Shane Olivea.

I figure if they don't draft a linemen with picks 1, 3, 4 that he may well get 2 of the 7th rounders.

Depends on whether its a 7th rounder in the hands of Dave Wannstadt or a 7th rounder in the hands of Nick Saban. Wanny would probably draft a guy who couldn't be a waterboy in the Candian league. Nick will probably find 2 solid backups and a potential starter with those 3 picks.

Back
Top Bottom