Thursday's Camp Report - 5/20/04 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thursday's Camp Report - 5/20/04

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Biggest news from camp:
THE OFFENSE SCORED A TD IN THE 2 MIN DRILL!!! This is the first one I’ve seen in any of the practices I’ve attended so far this year. The whole Offense was pumped. Even RW threw his hands up in the air to signal TD and the crowd cheered for like a minute. It was on a very nice throw from Fiedler that #82 Newson dove for to make the catch despite seemingly good coverage.

They worked on the 2 min drill again for a large portion of today’s practice. 45 yardline, 45 seconds, no timeouts. Jay’s lone TD pass was the only success the offense had. The defense dominated and for the most part didn’t let them past the 30 yard line. In Feeley’s first attempt, he got to the 30 yard line, but then threw into double coverage in the endzone, and was picked off by #37 Bell.

#18 Sage – got very few reps and looked ok. He got most of his time in after practice when the rookies & third string hung around after the vets went inside. He ran a couple of 2 min drills and didn’t score.

Fiedler spread the ball around nicely. Typical Jay day. One horrible rep though, was when Jay missed a wide open Chambers who was drifting towards the far sideline, with no pressure at all and the DB 5 yards off, Jay lobbed it way over Chamber’s head. Huge groan from the crowd!

Feeley – another decent practice. He does tend to telegraph some of his throws though, by starring down the WR right from the snap. Hopefully this will change as he gets more & more comfortable. One thing I noticed from the first practice this year until today is that in addition to being unfamiliar and generally uncomfortable with the playbook, I think it was happening too fast for him. I think it took AJ a handful of practices to just get up to speed with how fast our pass rush can be and how hard we practice. He still has a LONG way to go, but I think getting up to speed is a big step for him.

He has also shown a little more mobility as well. One play, D Bowens chased him out of the pocket and he looked good evading the rush. Unfortunately he does not throw on the run too well and ended up hitting an open Minor in the feet with the ball. He also stepped up into the pocket nicely on another play, but #35 cut in front of #88 Thompson to bat it away. His best throw was hitting Chambers in stride racing down the hash-mark. Very nice throw & catch! His worst was getting picked off throwing deep to the endzone into double coverage to end a 2 min drill.

#95 Bowens – didn’t see him

#81 McMichael – Looked solid the last few practices. Had several catches again today including one he extended for nicely from Feeley. He did have one of Feeley’s balls go right through his hands (almost picked off by Seau) and another bounce off his hands on a poor throw from Feeley with #25 Howard right there with coverage, but overall he has looked great in camp so far.

#82 Newson – 1 drop in drill w/ no DBs’ but had a couple of completions later on and a sweet diving catch on a great throw from Jay, scoring a TD in the 2 min drill.

#84 Chambers – Catch after catch. Including a great grab of a low ball around his knees in front of #25 Howard by the near sideline from Fiedler who was scrambling. He did drop one, he is human…

#85 Lee – had few catches, but nothing spectacular

#43 Turner (TE) – almost made the catch of the day but couldn’t hang on to a deep ball slightly overthrown by Jay. 30 yards down the middle of the field, he laid out going horizontal but couldn’t come down with it. The crowd applauded the effort though.

#28 Minor – looks good catching passes out of the backfield. Shows great shifting moves running in the open field and a serious case of the quicks.

#88 Thompson – Quiet day, but did have a catch from Jay and then another from him late in the 2 min drill for 20 yards.

#19 Minnis – Had a few catches today, including one against Surtain who had good coverage. I chatted with him at the fence for a couple of minutes on my way out and teased him about not having a ‘real’ number yet. He said the NFL changed the rule this year and that he was going to keep #19 as his number. And the way he said it, kind of assumed he would make the team…

#87 Tolver – Only had one ball thrown his way, but made the most of it extending for a nice catch on a dart from Feeley and then got out of bounds stopping the clock in the 2 min drill
#55 Seau – spent some time practicing his blitzing. In his patented way, turning sideways at the line and trying to knife in with speed and by timing the snap. He got in there a couple of times, but for the most part, the interior of the O-Line did a good job

#91 Williams – made a couple of plays including tipping Feeley’s 1st pass. He did jump offside once, but his best play was smoking by #67 Goodspeed for a sack on Jay. Goodspeed looked like Nospeed as Jay ran right by him turnstile style.

#99 JT – Another day of making O-Linemen look silly. Sacks, pressures, havoc, the usual! One play he beat #70 St. Clair so bad that he grabbed on to him with both hands, and JT still got to the QB.

All throughout practice in the far, far end of the field, Turk & #3 Jones had a punting battle. They must have kicked 50 times each. It’s hard to tell from so far away if the kick was in the endzone for a touchback, or out of bounds at the 5, etc. but it looked like Turk was consistently outperforming Jones. His kicks were longer & higher, most had a beautiful spiral and when it looked like they were trying to kick to a certain spot, Turk barely made the guy catching move at all.

At the end of practice, Feeley came over to the fence to sign autographs. He seemed very young, shy, and almost meek. One thing I have to say about Jay is he has a ****y confidence about him that drives him to succeed past his physical limitations. It reminds me of a Chihuahua a friend of mine has that is fierce, has no idea how small he is and will square off with a dog 10X his size without thinking about it and almost always makes them back down. A good QB needs that swagger… Feeley needs that swagger!

Photos: Click Here

Videos: Click Here

Enjoy!

Once again, you come through, Thanks alot friend ! I agree about Feeley needing that swagger to !

Thanks Dude....great report.

A couple of points about Feeley.....I've been watching his Philly games recently, and you made a good observation about him losing accuracy when he's on the run. That's consistent with what I've seen in his games.

Also, I don't think you have to worry about Feeley's swagger. He aint no wallflower. It may be a bit of unfamiliarity that's causing him to hold back but, the guy is confident and ****y come game time. No worries there.

:infins:

Yeah the ****y qb thing sure worked out well for Lucas. I talked to Lucas last week and he said that every once in a while he's allowed to scrub out the girls locker room at his janitor's job. He found a girls retainer and pawned it for 5 whole bucks!

I agree with inFINS. I think it's hard for the guy to be ****y and/or confident right now because he's really got nothing to be ****y/confident about. Once he gets comfy and acclimated, I think that confidence will grow.

what is the reason for not mentioning Boston? Was he there?

I thought Feeley scored a TD on Wednesday, or is the excitement here only because Dude didn't see it?

Later, Feeley zipped another pass through coverage to Chambers in the back of the end zone, beating the first-team defense in the process.

Actually, I think that Feeley is doing well. For someone to come in and learn a new playbook...that is demanding.

When he gets comfortable with what is being called, I'm sure we will start to see him get that swagger. Right now, the most important thing is for him to show improvement...and he has been doing that.

Good stuff BTW. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom