------- Tie-Breaking Procedures: with NE | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

------- Tie-Breaking Procedures: with NE

Mile High Fin

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Assuming we end up tied with NE, (which means NE must lose 1 more game than Miami during next 4 weeks), would we win tie-breaking procedures to become AFC East champs?

Here's the tie-breaking rules to break a tie WITHIN A DIVISION:

1. Head-to-head.
2. Best division record.
3. Best common games record.
4. Best conference record.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.

LEVEL 2 tie-break (Division record):
If NE loses to Buffalo, we'd win on division record (4-2 vs. 3-3).

LEVEL 3 tie-break (Common games):
If NE wins at Buffalo, it'd go to "common games" record.

We have 14 common games with NE.
Only differences in our schedules:
Miami: played SD & Pit
NE: played Den & Bal

Miami is currently 6-5 in the common games.
NE is currently 6-4 in the common games.

Thus, since my assumption is we end up tied, then NE must have 1 more loss than Miami going forward (and for it to be at LEVEL 3 tie-break, NE cannot lose to Buffalo), which by definition means NE would lose 1 more "common game" going forward.
So, NE would thus have a 5th loss in common games, evening us up.

Therefore:
- at WORST, we'd tie LEVEL 3 with NE (ie, we go 4-0, NE goes 3-1; or we go 3-1, NE goes 2-2, and our 1 loss is NOT to Pit)
- at BEST, we'd win LEVEL 3 with NE (ie, we go 3-1 with the loss vs. Pit, and with NE going 2-2).

LEVEL 4 tie-break (Conference Record):

Miami is currently 4-4 in AFC.
NE is currently 5-4 in AFC.

We have 4 AFC games left. NE has 3 AFC games left (and Carolina).
To be here at LEVEL 4, means:
1. NE beat Buffalo; and
2. We go 4-0, NE 3-1......or...... we go 3-1 (beating Pit), and NE 2-2

We win LEVEL 4 if we go 4-0, and NE loses to Jax or Hou.
If NE loses to Carolina, then we Tie LEVEL 4, and go to LEVEL 5.

LEVEL 5 tie-break (Strength of Victory):
If it comes to this, strength of victory is figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten.

Example:
If two teams end with identical records, combine the records of the opponents in each of the team's wins and calculate the total winning percentage. The team whose opponents have the higher winning percentage wins the tiebreaker.

In Miami's 6 wins-to-date, our opponent's win % is = .345
In NE's 7 wins-to-date, their opponent's win % is = .410
(Note: Tampa Bay at 1-11 pulls this % way down for both teams).

Unfortunately, NE would most likely maintain this lead, and NE will probably win LEVEL 5 tie-break (pending rest of season of course). :(

CONCLUSION

Consequently, the biggest keys for us are:
1. Buffalo beating NE (we win at LEVEL 2)
2. Miami going 3-0 the next 3 weeks (we win LEVEL 3)
3. Jax or Hou beating NE (we win LEVEL 4)

Good news: Miami goes 4-0, and NE goes 3-1 (with loss to Buf, Hou, Jax), Miami will win tie-breakers LEVEL 2, 3, or 4.

Bad news: we probably lose LEVEL 5, which would be this:
Miami goes 4-0 and NE goes 3-1 (losing to Carolina).
If this happens, we most likely lose the LEVEL 5 tie-breaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
how about we just win every game and see what happens? We can't control what NE does, or the past.

can u imagine if the tiebreaker came down to a coin toss lol. that would be insane, i wish it would be televised. i dont think though a tiebreaker has ever come down to a coin toss in football.

how about we just win every game and see what happens? We can't control what NE does, or the past.

No **** sherlock.

I'm letting you know what happens if there's a tie.

So, if you'd rather shrug your shoulders and say "I don't know" when someone asks who wins the tie-break, that's fine with me.

Some of us fans would rather be more informed....

No **** sherlock.

So, if you'd rather shrug your shoulders and say "I don't know" when someone asks who wins the tie-break, that's fine with me.

It's Schleprock, not sherlock. ;)

No **** sherlock.

because anyone I talk to who would want an answer is really going to sit there and listen to me attempt to ramble off all of that crap.

to me...
umad-1.jpg

I think that's what he's saying dude...if NE beats Buffalo, we are virtually eliminated from AFC East champ, unless we win 4(?) and they lose 2.

For the Wild Card, we need to beat JAX and we would slide into that spot, correct?

No wait, Baltimore still needs to lose one...Go Green Bay!

I think that's what he's saying dude...if NE beats Buffalo, we are virtually eliminated from AFC East champ, unless we win 4(?) and they lose 2.

For the Wild Card, we need to beat JAX and we would slide into that spot, correct?

...I don't know if that is true.

According to this, If we win out, and NE loses to Buf, Jax or Hou, we would win the division. Not sure how accurate it is.... :ponder:

No, if NE beats Buff (but loses 1 other game) we will have the same div record and it would go to Category 3.

Assuming we end up tied with NE, (which means NE must lose 1 more game than Miami during next 4 weeks), would we win tie-breaking procedures to become AFC East champs?

Here's the tie-breaking rules to break a tie WITHIN A DIVISION:

1. Head-to-head.
2. Best division record.
3. Best common games record.
4. Best conference record.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.

LEVEL 2 tie-break (Division record):
If NE loses to Buffalo, we'd win on division record (4-2 vs. 3-3).

LEVEL 3 tie-break (Common games):
If NE wins at Buffalo, it'd go to "common games" record.

We have 14 common games with NE.
Only differences in our schedules:
Miami: played SD & Pit
NE: played Den & Bal

Miami is currently 6-5 in the common games.
NE is currently 6-4 in the common games.

Thus, since my assumption is we end up tied, then NE must have 1 more loss than Miami going forward (and for it to be at LEVEL 3 tie-break, NE cannot lose to Buffalo), which by definition means NE would lose 1 more "common game" going forward.
So, NE would thus have a 5th loss in common games, evening us up.

Therefore:
at WORST, we'd tie LEVEL 3 with NE.
at BEST, we'd win LEVEL 3 with NE (assuming we go 4-0, or 3-1 with the loss vs. Pit).

LEVEL 4 tie-break (Strength of Victory):
If it comes to this, strength of victory is figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten.

Example:
If two teams end with identical records, combine the records of the opponents in each of the team's wins and calculate the total winning percentage. The team whose opponents have the higher winning percentage wins the tiebreaker.

In Miami's 6 wins-to-date, our opponent's win % is = .345
In NE's 7 wins-to-date, their opponent's win % is = .410
(Note: Tampa Bay at 1-11 pulls this % way down for both teams).

Unfortunately, NE would most likely maintain this lead, and NE will probably win LEVEL 4 tie-break (pending rest of season of course). :(

CONCLUSION

Consequently, the biggest keys for us are:
1. Buffalo beating NE
2. Miami going 3-0 the next 3 weeks (to win LEVEL 3, and prevent us going to LEVEL 4 which we'd probably lose) (Note: final game vs. Pit won't be as crucial in tie-breaking rules).

you skipped Conference Record as a tie-breaker...

If NE loses to Jax or Hou it will be there 5th loss in the AFC. If Miami wins out they would be 8-4 in the AFC and win that tie-breaker with the Pats.

Carolina is the only game that really doesn't hurt the Pats in a tie-breaker with Miami.

EDIT - Just did some tinkering, and if we win out and the Pats only other loss is the Carolina, it would go to strength of victory tie-breaker, and we would need some sum of wins by Carolina and losses by Baltimore and Atlanta.

If the Pats lose to either the Jags or the Texans, wouldn't we hold the tie-break as we would have a better Conference record? Conference games come before strength of schedule, and they would have lost 5 to our 4.

Yep, you didn't put in conference schedule, and this is where we have the edge over the Patsies. We just need to focus on one opponent at a time, and obviously try to win out.....The Broncos, Jax, and Ravens could all fold but all Miami controls is their own play. We just cannot come out and play like we did at Buffalo....that loss really hurt.

the way I see it, there are only 2 teams that can keep Miami out of the playoffs....

Miami and Baltimore.

If Miami loses another game, it's pretty much over.

If they win, the only thing that can keep them out is Baltimore winning 4 of their next 5. If they do, there are other ways in, but not any other ways we don't make it.

Back
Top Bottom