To All Fiedler Haters...You Now Have an Option | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To All Fiedler Haters...You Now Have an Option

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Mark Brunell.

Thats right, Brunell.

This quote comes from the Rocky Mountain News,

The Broncos also could make a run at Arizona Cardinals quarterback Jake Plummer, Jacksonville QB Mark Brunell or Elvis Grbac, who said this week he plans to come out of retirement and would like to be reunited with coach Mike Shanahan.

It indicates that Mark Brunell is to be had.

Before, all the sports writers answered the Fiedler haters by pointing out the obvious question...who is going to replace him? I mean, all the guys out there are very ambiguous when compared to Jay Fiedler. Kordella? NOT. Jake Plummer? Lost an aweful lot of games and struggled a whole lot. Brian Griese? Can't ask for a better surrounding cast than he has had over the last 3-4 years and he hasn't cut it...injuries and alcoholism. Charlie Batch? Come on now. A rookie? Even worst. Kurt Warner? Will he ever be the same, not to mention the price tag in picks (that we dont have) and $$$. Tim Couch or Kelly Holcombe? Couch also would carry a big price tag in picks and thats if they decide not to just keep the two of them. Holcombe could be a Jim Miller one hit wonder for all we know.

But if Mark Brunell is out there to be had....free of needing to give first round picks and whatnot for his services, then shouldn't we take a look at it? I mean this is the first quarterback that I can with all honesty say is DEFINITELY better than Fiedler, and is possibly within our grasp.

Now I've NEVER really been a Jay hater. But I'm starting to think that even though he wins, he doesn't make plays. He plays well when the team is playing well and he plays aweful when the team is playing aweful. He doesn't have the arm to hit our guys deep and this is largely why I believe James McKnight gets so much flack. Mark Brunell on the other hand, is a really good quarterback. I think it is the coaches' duty to investigate the possibility of signing Mark Brunell if he is let go.

Not that I am Fiedler hater (I'm not)

but Brunell isn't what I consider an option either.:rolleyes:

Most definately, although he had better get a good back up because he is oft injured. Keeping and demoting Jay would be ideal.

I am not a Jay hater persay (also not a big fan or believer) but I think we need to bring in someone to compete for the starting QB slot.

What isn't to like about Mark Brunell aside from his age.

He's a lefty, and considering LT is our weakest spot on the line right now, that could help matters.

Besides it would only be fitting...

Lamar Smith fled from New Orleans to Miami after being replaced by Ricky Williams, only to have Ricky Williams follow him to Miami and replace him yet AGAIN.

Jay Fiedler fled from Jacksonville in the shadow of Mark Brunell to Miami where he gets to start...only to have Brunell follow him to Miami and put him once again in his shadow.

Was talkin to Hoffman, LCP. Sorry.

How wouldn't Brunell fit? He's got a better arm. Better accuracy. He isn't as athletic but Norv doesn't need that.

Here's a list...

1. Brunell is always injured or banged-up
2. Brunell hasn't won jack
3. Brunell had Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell...in their primes and couldn't get to the Big Game

Besides, you are going to have the same problem as with Griese, he is going to want to start and get paid...something
you can't guarantee him.

1. Jay Fiedler is always injured or banged up
2. Jay Fiedler hasn't won jack
3. Brunell never had our defense...and a Ricky caliber runner at the same time.

We could guarantee Brunell a start. I believe his pro bowls have earned that. I believe the fact that he's never played a season and finished with a rating below 82, deserves that. He's got a career rating of 85. He's got 7.2 career yards per attempt, 125 TDs to 79 INTs. This year he had 17 TDs to 7 INTs.

Anyone who can't just outright admit that he's better than Fiedler is just either insecure, or a homer.

True...and his stats aren't all that bad...

of course that championship game was already four years ago...
and they got there by beating...

us...

Ahh jeez, now I am depressed again...
62-7.

Obviously, I have had a lot of free time the last few days...and I just wish Miami could start next season today.:(

I admit I get insecure when talking about replacing Fiedler...because we've seen we can win with him. Nothing can reproduce our insecurity when our security blanket Dan Marino was taken from us and we got this new guy Jay Fiedler competing with Damon Huard for the start even though Huard was the one that was 5-1 for us. But we took a chance, and went 11-5. We took a chance, and went 11-5. We took a chance, and went 9-7. Fiedler's had his chances. We're too good of a team to let a simple quarterback change screw up everything. In retrospect, Ray Lucas was a bad gamble. We didn't have much to say that he was a competant QB. We know a guy like Mark Brunell IS a competant QB, and quite possibly he will improve our situation.

Why wouldn't we take that chance?

Originally posted by ckparrothead
1. Jay Fiedler is always injured or banged up
2. Jay Fiedler hasn't won jack
3. Brunell never had our defense...and a Ricky caliber runner at the same time.

We could guarantee Brunell a start. I believe his pro bowls have earned that. I believe the fact that he's never played a season and finished with a rating below 82, deserves that. He's got a career rating of 85. He's got 7.2 career yards per attempt, 125 TDs to 79 INTs. This year he had 17 TDs to 7 INTs.

Anyone who can't just outright admit that he's better than Fiedler is just either insecure, or a homer.

I think Brunnel best year are past him plus you can't denied the talent he had while the team was winning.THey had one of the best offensive line and back then a healthy Fred Taylor who was the most explosive back.You add the receivers they had an the defense...I don't think is worth trading for Brunnel especially when this team needs to think about future .Cap hell is coming in the next two or three years and Dolphins can't afford trading picks....

Back
Top Bottom