To help out the uninformed who may be confused.. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To help out the uninformed who may be confused..

It happens - after thinking about it I wondered if maybe you were just factoring in the next highest salaries to get the real cap relief.

My apologies. I edited the original post a while back to show that while Corey Dillion (post June 1 designation) doesn't show up on the nfl.com transactions, other post June 1 designations do.

Sorry I can't provide a link on the designations for James and Carter. I've searched all afternoon and couldn't find one. The lack of confirming evidence is pretty damning - although I do recall being suprised at reading a blurb somewhere saying that we had used our exemptions. Maybe I imagined it.

I didn't see your edit before:

[EDIT: Perhaps I read too much into the omissions. Corey Dillion doesn't up as a Post June 1 cut on the nfl.com pages, but other players like Grant Winstrom, Edwin Mulitalo, and David Patten do. I do recall reading that they were designated though.]

Could you please post links??? I went to the NFL transactions page for the Seahawks and didn't see Winstrom as a post June 1 cut. I would like to see what you are talking about.

As far as imagining things, now you know why I document. I have about 250 Word pages of documentation already this year for the Dolphins player moves. No way to remember or find all the information on the net. That's also why I ask for links. :)

BTW if you haven't seen this you will enjoy it. It is from last year but I hadn't read it before.

Trade, not cut, is the new trend through 2008

Here is a link to support my opinion on Salary Cap management.

Time to pay up those cap charges

By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(Feb. 13, 2007) -- There are two ways to balance up the salary cap that every team faces on a daily basis -- pay your bills now or pay them later.

With all the extra salary cap space because of the spike in the cap for 2007, more teams are handling their business up front and direct rather than postponing the cap hits until a year from now by releasing players later in the year. It wasn't very long ago that many teams had to spread out their losses because they just didn't have the room to pay off their bills. As one general manager said, "A good analogy to understand cap management is today teams pay with cash rather than credit cards." Business has changed in the NFL.

I didn't see your edit before:

Could you please post links??? I went to the NFL transactions page for the Seahawks and didn't see Winstrom as a post June 1 cut. I would like to see what you are talking about.

As far as imagining things, now you know why I document. I have about 250 Word pages of documentation already this year for the Dolphins player moves. No way to remember or find all the information on the net. That's also why I ask for links. :)

I checked out your cap chart - you do great work. Thanks for all the effort you put into it.

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that the information was all consolidated on the nfl pages. I just did a google search on "Post June 1 designation" and came up with a few hits:

http://browns.scout.com/2/625111.html

Howard Balzer of The Sports Xchange and Gridrongateway.com reports the Seattle Seahawks today terminated the contract of DE Grant Wistrom as a post-June 1 designation.

Then looked at transactions page:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/transactions/SEA
3/9 Grant Wistrom DE cut

I also got hits on the other guys from various links for Domanick Williams, Corey Dillion, David Patten, Edwin Mulitalo, etc. I looked but couldn't find all the designees in one place unfortunately.

BTW if you haven't seen this you will enjoy it. It is from last year but I hadn't read it before. Trade, not cut, is the new trend through 2008

Nice article. Thanks!

Here is a link to support my opinion on Salary Cap management.

I certainly agree that it's preferable to take your lumps in the current cap year - instead of kicking the can down the road. However, based on the cap situation that Saban came in to, it would've been difficult/impossible to do so because of the situation he inherited.

I'm just saying that - because of circumstances -if you absolutely feel you need cap room and you're faced with the choice of pushing some dead money into the next cap versus the impact of restructing an active player's contract, it might make more sense to just push the dead money instead of creating new potential dead money.

But you are absolutely correct - if we can absorb the hit in the current year cap we should do so - assuming we keep a little wriggle room to work extensions and such.

Thanks I'm going to keep an eye on Adam Caplan's blog.

The chart you saw is way outdated and beyond my control. Keep a look out as I will soon be setting up and updating as things change as is my custom.

Right now I have the Dolphins at $6.564 million under the cap without reversing the Wilkinson trade yet.

Folks 'bash' DC, because for the draft pick and $$$$ he has accomplished exactly NOTHING in a PHINS uniform -- plain and simple .... so what is there to 'love' .... that he goes and works out in the gym -- get real ... the guy is being paid MILLIONS to do just that

Everyone has there own opinion of his abilities ... but it comes down to what he has done for the team on the field ... and if ANYONE can say ANYTHING in that regard -- speak up ....

All anyone wants is a winner .... whether DC or someone else is the QB - I think is mute .... at the end of the day -- everyone on this site will LOVE whomever leads this team to victory, a winning season and the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom