Tom Coughlin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tom Coughlin

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about new coaches on this board, with Dennis Green and Bob Stoops being the most mentioned, either for good or bad. One guy who has gotten very little mention who should be considered is Tom Coughlin. He fits most of the categories we are looking for:

a) fiery, no-nonsense; won't take any BS
b) an offensive coach, but does NOT neglect defense- look at some of his successful defensive 1st round picks
c) has overachieved (see 1996 season) took a young, overmatched Jags team to AFC Championship
d) pretty good draft history(I say this from memory- I haven't researched)
e) played in a few AFC Championships in a short span, until salary cap caught up with him

I realize the negatives, he couldn't get them past the AFC Championship, but let's be honest, getting to the Super Bowl is a tough thing, and he got Jacksonville closer to it in the past 10 years than Miami ever was.

And on top of that, if we're looking for a Super Bowl winning coach to lead this team, count me out. Historically, Super Bowl winning coaches generally fail with their new team. Only Shula, Parcells and Vermeil have put two different teams in the Super Bowl, and none has won with 2 teams(Though hold your breath, Vermeil could be the first)
I am not on a Tom Coughlin bandwagon just yet, but I think he at least deserves more talk than he's getting, probably more than Dennis Green or Bob Stoops should.

I vote not! He is not a good fit for this team.

this is a pretty good idea.

the cap situation is with spielman... so it's not a big deal. he is a cap guru and does an exellent job.
good post...

Tom Coughlin is a real DICKtater.....I think he would be perfect for a short run....He'll whip these pansies into shape.......but he is just like Parcells.....they wear down on you....and don't last.......getting screamed at gets old after a couple of years.

A coach that is a hot item now is Jim Mora Jr., nobody mentions him, but he is a brilliant defensive coach, he's young and hungry.....maybe what we need is somebody who has never been to the Bowl......he might want it more.....

i don´t wanna any assistants in here, i want somebody who was a HC before , dennis green or tom coughlin, i can live with these 2 names

Coughlin sound like an good idea to me. Took the expansion Jags to the AFC title game in there second year not bad.

If the Dolphins are going to make a last-ditch run with the current team, Coughlin is a great choice. As mentioned before, he wears thin after a few years, but in a few years a high percentage of this team will probably be in the twilight of their careers. He could have the fire and edge to push this team over the top.

I can tell you that you don't want Coughlin here, my boss' brother was assistant coach under him in Jax and said that he ran his team like a dictator, it worked at first but eventually the players had enough and started to rebel. I guess it got really bad down there at the end.

Originally posted by Al13
i don´t wanna any assistants in here, i want somebody who was a HC before , dennis green or tom coughlin, i can live with these 2 names

Guys available who have been HC's before typically are failures or retreads. I definitely would not be opposed to an assistant taking over. Look at John Fox in Carolina, Herm Edwards, Andy Reid, Bill Cowher, Marvin Lewis......all these guys were assistants who are still in their first head coaching job. Not always a bad omen. :)

I'd rather keep Wanny around; Coughlin was terrible! Seriously, how many other coaches do you know of that managed to get all of his players, his entire coaching staff, and his team's owners to hate him? I can only think of one and that's the jerk in question.

Most likely Coughlin will end up in NY if Fassel does not turn things around in a hurry. I think we should keep Dave but not as the head coach maybe as he was with JJ I think the players like him they just don't believe in his system.

If the players don't believe in his system, why keep him around? And if he's not the head coach, then as what? Def coordinator? That makes no sense if players don't believe in his system. And I don't think Wannstedt would take to being the DC of a team for whom he was once their head coach.

A coordinator coming in as a HC is not bad at all. ALL great coaches start somewhere. No coach is a head coach right away. They all have to be an assistant until they prove themselves. How about Monte Kiffin (sp?) from Tampa?

Back
Top Bottom