Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

Cloudy

MustNotSleep-MustWarnOthers
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/16/tony-dungy-disappointed-with-rex-ryans-profanity/

Jets coach Rex Ryan showed on the first episode of Hard Knocks that he can drop "F" bombs with the best of them. Tony Dungy would like to remind Ryan that just because the show is on HBO, that doesn't mean he needs to talk like Tony Soprano.

Dungy, who in 13 seasons with the Buccaneers and Colts was one of the most mild-mannered head coaches in NFL history, said on The Dan Patrick Show that he thinks Ryan ought to watch his mouth.

"I'm disappointed with all the profanity," Dungy said. "I think Rex can make his points without all that."

Asked if he would hire a coach who talks the way Ryan does, Dungy answered, "I would not. I personally don't want my players to be around that. I don't want to be around that. . . . It's hard for me to be around that, and if I were in charge, no, I wouldn't hire someone like that. Now, I've been around 'F' bombs, so it's not like it's new. I just don't think that has to be part of your every-minute, everyday vocabulary to get your point across."

Dungy thinks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would be wise to give Ryan a call and ask him to think about how he's representing the NFL.

"I would hope that he does," Dungy said of the possibility of Goodell getting involved. "I don't know that he will or not but I hope that he does because I just don't think the league needs that. I don't think our young people need to hear that that's what's done to be successful. Because it doesn't have to be that way."

Between Dungy and his own mother, Ryan may have been sufficiently chastened that he'll watch what he says even if he doesn't hear from Goodell. Or at least save his "F" bombs for when the microphones aren't around.

:bobdole:

I'm not a fan of the Jets but this is ridiculous. I like Tony Dungy as a person but he's a *****. If we were in need of a coach, I'd be all for Rex Ryan.

yeah ok....dungy woldn't hire ryan cause he curses but the man will go to bat for a scumbag, dog killing, std spreading douchebag like michael vick. idiot. anyway who cares what dungy says....the man rode manning's coattails to a superbowl victory.

yeah ok....dungy woldn't hire ryan cause he curses but the man will go to bat for a scumbag, dog killing, std spreading douchebag like michael vick. idiot. anyway who cares what dungy says....the man rode manning's coattails to a superbowl victory.

Thread OVER.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd cut my head off if the Fins hired Rex the Hut as a head coach. DC - yes, HC - not a chance. Fat *** hasn't proven anything as a head coach in the NFL (nor will he ever) besides showing everyone his mouth is as big as his gut. I give him 3-4 years max and that's only because NY is a whore for all the media attention.

I'd cut my head off if the Fins hired Rex the Hut as a head coach. DC - yes, HC - not a chance. Fat *** hasn't proven anything as a head coach in the NFL (nor will he ever) besides showing everyone his mouth is as big as his gut. I give him 3-4 years max and that's only because NY is a whore for all the media attention.

How many playoff games has Sparano won as a HC or an assistant?

As a rookie he took his team to the title game w/ a rookie QB having to win 2 road playoff games but he hasn't done anything as a HC:lol:

If he was hired instead of Sparano you guys would be loving him and us Jet fans would be calling him fat and terrible.

Leave it to a heavily religious person to not make any sense. He's all bent out of shape over WORDS but, has no problem with trying to rehabilitate and mold a worthless scumbag like Vick into an upstanding citizen.......which of course will never happen. Mike Vick is what he is and that obviously isnt going to change.

I suppose Dungy believes christ can fix Mike Vick, but somehow there is no chance he can get Rex Ryan not to say a select group of WORDS anymore and its more of a job for his boss, commish Goodell. Get ****ing real.

Tony Dungy is a god damn ***** and Ive been saying it for years. And hell yes he rode Mannings coat tails. Dungy was overhyped in Tampa and was fired because he couldnt get the job done. Then there was this big outcry about Dungy. Then he went to Indy where the offense was already built and was supposed to be this defensive mastermind that put them over the top. Yea right. Their D never became great and Manning carried that team himself. **** Tony Dungy. Mind your own business pal. Its HBOs job to decide what they air on their network. If you cant handle WORDS then dont ****ing watch.

Im sure Buddy Ryan wouldnt have hired Dungy to mentor his son. He might have wound up hanging from a celing fan. Go **** yourself Dungy. Stay retired, shut the **** up, and get off the airwaves. Take your Super Bowl ring and go the **** home. Take care of the children you still have dip****.

And **** Rex Ryan btw. Not because he uses certain words, but because he is a ****head.

Ugh- As much as I despise Ryan I'm going to have to agree with those that point out how ludicrous Dungy's reasoning is. Using colorful language makes you a bad person, but hanging and electrocuting dogs is forgivable? Whatever lol.

As a rookie he took his team to the title game w/ a rookie QB having to win 2 road playoff games but he hasn't done anything as a HC:lol:

If he was hired instead of Sparano you guys would be loving him and us Jet fans would be calling him fat and terrible.

I can honestly say I wouldn't like Rex Ryan if he were our HC. Mark Sanchez didn't have to win games , he had to keep himself from losing the games for the jets.

I can honestly say I wouldn't like Rex Ryan if he were our HC. Mark Sanchez didn't have to win games , he had to keep himself from losing the games for the jets.

You'd like him if he won games. Winning solves everything in sports.

Just like money solves everything in in your life for the most part. You have a job you hate making $100,000 a year you're gonna be much happy than working a job you like for $40,000 a year.

You'd like him if he won games. Winning solves everything in sports.

Just like money solves everything in in your life for the most part. You have a job you hate making $100,000 a year you're gonna be much happy than working a job you like for $40,000 a year.

If you told me..

You can live life as a sports photographer making $40,000 a year. Or.. You can live life being a sports financial advisor making $100,000 a year.

I would be a sports photographer in an instant to be perfectly honest with you. Quality of living doesn't always have to revolve around money. The right company of people, the right environment and the right situation can go a very long way.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." ~Confucius

Love my job currently. Systems Admin for South Carolina government. Lots of perks blah blah blah. I'd trade it in a second for a job making $10,000 more a year doing something I wouldn't enjoy as much.

Maybe the job analogy was a bad example, but if Rex Ryan were our coach and he was taking us to AFC titles games, I don't think anyone would mention that he stirred the pot and verbally annoyed division opponents all season.

Love my job currently. Systems Admin for South Carolina government. Lots of perks blah blah blah. I'd trade it in a second for a job making $10,000 more a year doing something I wouldn't enjoy as much.

Maybe the job analogy was a bad example, but if Rex Ryan were our coach and he was taking us to AFC titles games, I don't think anyone would mention that he stirred the pot and verbally annoyed division opponents all season.

Sure I would love the fact that the coach wins games but I would also hate the fact that he continues to make an *** out of himself in public. I can respect his talent as a headcoach but dislike him as a person.

I completely agree. That being said, Ryan is a fraud. It will be proven this year when the Jets fail to make the playoffs. But I completely agree with the point you're trying to make.

Back
Top Bottom