Trade for 18th Pick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for 18th Pick?

EddieIrvine13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
KFFL reports that the Redskins are shopping their first round pick (#18). They are looking for more picks OR quality players. That means we have a chance at this.
Who do we give up and who do we get?
I say we put together a package starring Darryl Gardener. This is doubtful.
Other starters I would be willing to give up:
Konrad, any TE, anyone on the O-Line except for Wade, Ward, McKnight, Minor, DG, Marion, Rodgers.

Who we could GET at 18th pick.
Toniu Fonoti OG
Napoleon Harris LB
Jeremy Shockey TE
Kalimba Edwards DE
Edward Reed S (if we were to trade away Brock)

It's too bad we didnt draft Brees last year instead of Fletcher (who will probably never be anything more than a nickel with Madison and Surtain around), we wouldnt have had to sign Fiedler to a new contract... wed have all that money to spend and our QB of the future.

There is absolutely no way that we are going to trade anything- especially a bunch of proven vets- for the opportunity to pick a totally unproven player at #18. There is just no way to grab that pick without mortgaging the future so it's never going to happen.

we've gotten nothing that Spurrier would want unless we could bring Jarvis Williams and Louis Oliver out of retirement :rolleyes: :goof:

we've gotten nothing that Spurrier would want unless we could bring Jarvis Williams and Louis Oliver out of retirement

LMAO....true so true... Besides I know Shockey will be gone by 18. The Giants will nab him if Dallas doesn't

Maybe the Faider can trade him Trace for the pick :eek:

i have a question:

Did we pass up on Brees for Fletcher or was it Chambers?

I dont think it was bad, Flether is going to be good next year and Chambers is awesome!!!

Originally posted by jphandal
i have a question:

Did we pass up on Brees for Fletcher or was it Chambers?

I dont think it was bad, Flether is going to be good next year and Chambers is awesome!!!
Fletcher - Brees was the first pick for Rd 2.

I don't know why everyone gushes about Drew Brees like he's going to be this great QB in the future. In case you forgot, some players don't live up to their potential, especially QBs.

Cade McNown was a top ten pick, and what's he doing now? Holding a clipboard as our third string QB!

Originally posted by EddieIrvine13
It's too bad we didnt draft Brees last year instead of Fletcher (who will probably never be anything more than a nickel with Madison and Surtain around), we wouldnt have had to sign Fiedler to a new contract... wed have all that money to spend and our QB of the future.

That's exactly the role we envisioned for him. All you have to do is go back to the days of Jerry Wilson to see just how important Fletcher will be. Remember, Miami's 3rd CB was on the field 60% of the time. And we hear so much about CB depth on this board. That's exactly what Fletcher provides. If Madison or Surtain goes down, we'll be in good shape.

Screw Brees. If we didn't pick Fletcher, I'd rather us have gone after KENDRELL BELL.

We could have brought back a nickel CB for less than a million. Brees would be a lot cheaper than Fiedler, and he would be our QB of the future. Brees looked great last year in the one game he played in, but he would have been someone to build around. Brees to Chambers. I like that.

I'm just curious as to why you think Marion, Konrad, Minor, or DG should be traded. None of them have done anything but help this team.

Marion-He has played at an extremely high level the past 2 years. He has been dependable and durable. He played in the probowl 2 years ago, and had a better year than that last season.

Konrad-With Norv running the offense, his talents will add yet another dimension to our offense. How will a defense defend Ricky, Konrad, Chambers, Oronde, and whoever our TE is going to be? There will be a mismatch in there somewhere. Remember the Denver team that won back to back Superbowls? They had 2 potent recievers, Shannon Sharpe, TD, and the best FB in the game, Griffith. With Konrad there, they are that more dangerous.

Minor-With no guarantee Edwards will be back at full health, Minor is a safety blanket. Even if Edwards does recover, Minor, in my opinion, is good enough to keep him off the field. If Minor were traded and Edwards doesn't recover, what would the Fins do? They'd be stuck with another hole to fill.

DG-When healthy, he is one of the most dominating lineman in the game. With him probably playing DE opposite Taylor, the Fins line will be very dominating. If he were traded, that would leave yet another hole.

Who in the draft could you pick that would be guaranteed better than any of them? No one. The Fins are fine where they are. It would a gamble with too much risk to pull off such a trade.

Idiotic Rumor

I was listening to the local sports radio station (ESPN1310, Norfolk, VA) yesterday and the local announcer was talking about the draft. It seems that the Lions are interested in giving up the 3rd pick and Miami was mentioned as a team interested in the Lions pick. Yea, Miami might be interested but thet have no firepower to pull off this trade unless the Lions want Miami's two fifth round draft picks.<G> Where do these idiots come up with these rumors? How do they mention them on the radio without doing any research? Guys sit back, do some honey-do's and watch the draft about 5 PM, that's when your going to hear--The Miami Dolphins with the 91st pick selects ??????.

Minor I would give up because he is not first round material. I agree he is perhaps second round material though we got him in the third. Plus, I feel we have more pressing needs we can fill with the eighteenth pick than a RB that is third on the depth chart.
Konrad I agree is valuable to the team, but I feel Dyer is not terrible himself and once again, we can pick up a bigger hole on our team.
I like Marion a lot. I was ecstatic when we got him. But if we didnt get him, there was a good chance we could have signed Tony Parrish or another great safety. If we were to trade away Marion, we would receive a first round pick and save the money to sign a good replacement for Marion, like Victor Green. Still a downgrade, but we would get a quality rookie in the process.
Darryl Gardener. Yes, when he is healthy, he is dominant. But he is also a HUGE drain on the salary cap. And he is signed through either 2007 or 2008. He would be tough to replace, but it would be nice to get rid of his salary. He is not worth that much because he is injured so often. Even when he is healthy, that is till a huge chunk of change.

I think people forget how valuable a draft pick is. We barely gave up two first rounders for RW! And RW (for now) is dirt cheap and signed to a long term contract. He also fills a hole that hasnt been filled in a long time. He can turn our team around.

A draft pick is someone to build the team around, and also is cheap. Dont look at just talent when thinking of a trade. There is so much d@mn talent on the free agent market in today's game. It's all about the dinero.

Dont discount that rumor entirely. Miami has some superstores that Detroit might want to get and we might want to get rid of their salaries. Detroit might not want to risk the money on a third pick. Just think what we could do with the third pick. Maybe Washington will strike a deal with us and we could get 18th and next years first.

Originally posted by EddieIrvine13
KFFL reports that the Redskins are shopping their first round pick (#18). They are looking for more picks OR quality players. That means we have a chance at this.
Who do we give up and who do we get?
I say we put together a package starring Darryl Gardener. This is doubtful.
Other starters I would be willing to give up:
Konrad, any TE, anyone on the O-Line except for Wade, Ward, McKnight, Minor, DG, Marion, Rodgers.

Who we could GET at 18th pick.
Toniu Fonoti OG
Napoleon Harris LB
Jeremy Shockey TE
Kalimba Edwards DE
Edward Reed S (if we were to trade away Brock)

good grief, i don't know who i'd go with, when you have something that works, its hard for me to make a decision, although i would like to see more emphasis placed on the O-line!:confused:

Back
Top Bottom