Trade for Greg Olsen is only way cutting David Martin make sense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for Greg Olsen is only way cutting David Martin make sense

Either that or we trade for Marcellus Bennett. There's also some good TE's getting cut that we could pick up. Either way somethings up, there is no way we go into the season with Nalbone as the #2...

agree. i see JI looking toward Martellus. the DFW>to>MIA bookings continue.

« Previous Post
What are the Miami Dolphins doing at tight end?
by: Mike Berardino September 4th, 2010 | 5:13 PM
The biggest surprise of cutdown day so far, at least from a Miami Dolphins perspective, hasn’t so much been the departures of Patrick Turner, Pat White or even Donald Thomas.

It’s been the decision to cut veteran tight end David Martin.

Huh?

A five-man race at the position had been whittled to three with the losses of Joey Haynos (injured reserve/foot) and Kory Sperry (released), and it’s not like second-year man John Nalbone has been setting the world on fire this preseason.

In Martin, the Dolphins seemed to have a sure thing, a trusted veteran with a link to their highly productive 2008 season, when they rode the two-headed duo of Anthony Fasano and Martin to an 11-5 record behind club-record production from the tight end position.

True, Martin is 31 and in his ninth year in the league. And it was a little concerning he failed to catch a single pass during the preseason, although Chad Pennington nearly hit him for a 22-yard score on a post the other night in Dallas. (And did you see Martin’s block that set up Patrick Cobbs’ 10-yard run at the start of that drive? Vicious.)

But Martin seemed safe. Even those in his camp seemed to believe that there was nothing to worry about.

“I think it was a shock to all of us,” Terry Williams, Martin’s South Carolina-based agent, said Saturday afternoon. “It totally surprised me and David. He’s in great shape, probably better shape than he was in 2008. They didn’t really have anything negative to say about him. I guess there’s always the possibility they could bring him back after a week or two.”

When Martin called Williams with the news Saturday morning, the agent thought it was “going to be about his living arrangements the next six months.” Instead, it was bad news, and it’s not like the Dolphins have made any assurances to Williams or Martin that they will take him back once they get past Week 1 and veteran contracts can become non-guaranteed.

“We’ll see what happens,” Williams said. “If somebody gets him [on the waiver wire] before the Dolphins do, that’s the way it goes and they understand that. I think he’ll get picked up somewhere.”

It’s not like Martin was breaking the bank. He was signed for just $755,000 on a one-year deal.

“He had just signed a basic veteran agreement,” Williams said. “David wanted to get back on a team and prove he wasn’t injured anymore. There’s nothing quirky in there to make them want to get rid of him. He’s got a veteran salary, and in an uncapped year, I just don’t see where that’s a consideration. I can’t imagine it was [due to] budget. … I don’t know what their thinking is. That’s their business.”

The Dolphins, no doubt, are scouring the landscape, looking for upgrades at backup tight end. A year ago it was Davone Drew, then a rookie out of East Carolina, who ended up on their roster after they put Martin on injured reserve at the cutdown date, but a source told me the Dolphins haven’t gone after Drew this time around (even though the Ravens released him again).

Ex-Cardinals tight end Anthony Becht is another possibility, as is former Packers TE Spencer Havner, a converted linebacker who caught four TD passes last year.

At this point, who knows.

Whoever they bring in, though, it might be good if they knew how to long snap as well. Yes, Martin was going back to that role of backup long snapper — “one of the better backup long snappers in the league,” Tony Sparano had called him this week — before getting dumped at the roster deadline.

“It’s a weird year anyway, with this uncapped thing,” Williams said. “Weird things are going to happen.”

http://t.co/w9IibKi

The regime don't care about looking bad about draft picks. The way the right guys. I'm glad they waste no time in getting rid of players who aren't working out.

Now about a trade... who do we offer up in return????

Let's see if Chicago will accept our 2011 2nd round pick, Patrick Turner and Pat White! :chuckle:

I'm shocked about the release of David Martin and Donald Thomas. Something must be up with Martin. I haven't had a chance to watch him during his second short stint with the Dolphins, but he probably isn't the same player since his injury. That's too bad because he really added another dimension to the offense. And although it was pretty obvious that Donald Thomas wasn't going to start this season, I thought he was a lock to keep as a reserve, especially with our o-line problems.

And if we would get Greg Olsen, I'd be thrilled! Two tight ends on the Dolphins roster that wore the Notre Dame jersey :hclap:

I can't believe we cut Martin to keep Nalbone. I just don't get that move.

I pray to the football Gods that they have something up their sleeves to bring in someone else.

Olsen for Allen the bears are in desperate need of secondary help. This would be a great trade for both teams, the bears sure up their D and the phins continue to get younger/more talented on the offensive side of the ball. Plus Henne's recieving core has been less than reliable so far this preseason with all the drops.

Olsen for Allen the bears are in desperate need of secondary help. This would be a great trade for both teams, the bears sure up their D and the phins continue to get younger/more talented on the offensive side of the ball. Plus Henne's recieving core has been less than reliable so far this preseason with all the drops.
The Bears are desperate for secondary help, but so is Miami. Trading Will Allen doesn't make sense, but then again, neither did cutting Martin.

I have been thinking about Greg Olsen for months but that trade is not realistic. Why? because Chicago would want a 2nd round pick for him which Miami does not have because of the Brandon Marshall trade. I don't see Chicago trading such a talent away for less than a 2nd round pick right now. So we have to hope that Nelborne has developed enough to contribute.

Haven't checked out their cuts, but the Packers had/have a bunch of pass catching TE's - too many to keep, it seems.

I live in Chicago, and having seen him regularly, Olsen is one of the most-over rated players in the league. He is worth about a 5th. If we gave up a third I would go through the roof. The Bears secondary is slow and just plain bad. If Will Allen checks out medically, the Bears would love to have him. Having said that, I think Miami needs him.

The Bears' fans are absolutely delusional. This is about a 4-12 or 5-11 team, going the wrong way with no bright future ahead of them. The Lions have Stafford, Best, Pettigrew, and C Johnson, and a much brighter future. The Pack is young and loaded. The Bears will be down for awhile. Atrocious GM, mediocre coach, etc. You heard it here first:

Pack 11-5
Vikes 9-7
Lions 8-8
Bears 4-12

Hate to say it but I think the Martin release was simply because he wasnt in shape for the season and wasnt really adding anything. Even worse, I remember someone on the Joe Rose show a few weeks ago saying dont be suprised if Nalbone isnt cut because the staff really likes him, and the other guy was like I hope your kidding because I havent seen anything from Nalbone. Id hate to go into the season with just Fasano and Nalbone, but dont be suprised if we do.

Back
Top Bottom