Trading Down for an extra pick: possibilities | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading Down for an extra pick: possibilities

DannyNoonan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If we do trade down a few spots in the first round to try to pick up an extra pick, what team below us in the first round has the ammo to trade with us?

Denver (Pick #24)
Other Picks: #41 & #54 in the 2nd round

Tennessee (Pick #27)
Other picks: #42 & #57 in the 2nd round

New England (Picks #21 & #32)
Other Picks: #56 & #63 in the 2nd round

Jacksonville (Pick #39 in the 2nd round)
Other Picks: #70 & #72 in the 3rd round

Cincinnati (Pick #49 in the 2nd round)
Other Picks: #80 & #96 in the 3rd round
Note: pick #96 is a Compensatory Pick and cannot be traded

Obviously, some other team below us in the first could trade us their first rounder and their second rounder (and the same for a team high in the 2nd, using their pick high in the 3rd). However, the teams listed above have extra ammo to do a trade.

Anyone want to run the numbers on the draft pick calculator to see where a "fair" trade might line up?

Which teams might have a real desire to move up to pick #20?

I could see Tenn agreeing to a trade if one of the top two DEs are available at 20. They would wait and see with the agreement ready. I cant see NE trading with us for many reasons. Not the least of which is they have the pick right after us and would not be gaining much.

I think that the Titans are the best bet at this point. Though the Vikings are also looking to trade down and they draft one spot before us, at 19.

After seeing that trade with the bengals and Bronocs where they moved down 7 spots and all they got was a 4th rounder, we should not expect to get more than a 4th rounder if we move down. The best we could hope for if we do move down and still stay in the first round would be a very late 3rd.

Ozzy rules!!

they got a 4th rounder and a player, which should be the equivilant of giving up a 3rd rounder.

Plus we can expect anything. Teams are more desperate during the draft then they are 2 weeks before the draft

Originally posted by Danny
After seeing that trade with the bengals and Bronocs where they moved down 7 spots and all they got was a 4th rounder, we should not expect to get more than a 4th rounder if we move down. The best we could hope for if we do move down and still stay in the first round would be a very late 3rd.

Ozzy rules!!
They also got a CB so I think the comparison is a bit off. We could get a 2nd rounder I think. Look at what NY is looking to give up to gain 3 spots!!

That's why I said a 3rd at best. But we should forget about getting a 2nd rounder for just moving down a few spots.

Ozzy rules!!

We could grab a second off a team with two seconds who are desperate to move up to get a player.

The Giants/SD thing i a bit different.

Well, I hope you guys are right and that we can move down and few spots and get a 2nd in return. I'd be very happy with that. I think if that happens we'd have to feel very lucky as we've always done pretty good in round 2.

Ozzy rules!!

I think Rick will speak to a few teams that may be interested. Then get an idea of whom they are targeting and when our pick approaches have them in the wings. Pull the trigger on the best deal available. Even if we got a 3rd we could trade both 3rds for a second too. I love picking high in the second!!

This is why I'm not a GM ...

If I had a specific guy in mind I wanted, I don't know that I could take the stress of trading down and hoping he was still there. Is there that much honor among GM's during the draft? Someone educate me.

The two that make the most sense to me from a chart perspective are:

#20 for Denver's two 2nd rounders
#20 for Carolina's 1st and 2nd

I think I can see Denver's possible interest (a RB -- they're not taking one in Cincy's spot IMHO), but I'm not sure what would even interest the Panthers. I guess perhaps if Dunta gets to us, they might want him badly enough. They probably need a WR more than that, and they can get a decent one where they're at.

The more I think about it the more I think that we'll stay at 20. This is a deep draft and teams want to move down and get more picks for the most part.Is not gonna be easy to move down just like that but of course, anything can happen. I'm just happy that we actually have a 1st round pick this year and I'm gald that Wanny's not picking or else we'd probably take another corner.

Ozzy rules!!

If we stay at 20, I think it has to be strictly BPA. I really do believe that it would mean that we address LB or DT...

Back
Top Bottom