Trading Down for an extra pick: possibilities | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading Down for an extra pick: possibilities

Originally posted by Jimmy James
If we stay at 20, I think it has to be strictly BPA. I really do believe that it would mean that we address LB or DT...

If we pass on Andrews, or one of the other top OLman available at #20, who will still be there in the third round worth considering???....

How can we ignore the giant hole at RG as of right now, and then go out and draft a defensive player we don't even need IMO??....

Welcome to 2002 {Fletcher} / 2003 {Moore}.:cry:

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

If this draft is truly as value laden at need positions for Miami as has been widely reported (combined with a recent history of questionable 1st round picks), perhaps Jacksonville would be a favorable trade-down partner in the following scenario:
Miami's R1#20 for Jacksonville's R2#39 + R3#70 + R4#102 + R6#175 (850 points for 510 + 240 + 92 + 22.4 points)
I tipped the scales slightly in Miami's favor by 14.4 points as they are the ones trading out of the first round in this scenario as well as the fact that five compensatory picks were awarded prior to the beginning of the 6th round which would deplete the value of Jacksonvilles's 6th round pick ever so slightly.
With these additional picks it seems to me Miami could possiblly lower their demands for Ogunleye to perhaps a reasonable 1st round pick and maybe like a 5th. If that were to happen (and believe me I'm not banking on it), Miami would then have 1-1R, 1-2R, 2-3R, 2-4R (Oh how I love 4th round picks!), 1-5R, 2-6R & 2-7R. I don't know if all or any of this is a good idea or not, but would like to know what some of you think.

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG

If we pass on Andrews, or one of the other top OLman available at #20, who will still be there in the third round worth considering???....

I don't believe that there will be anybody in the 3rd who could start this season. I will mention that Andrews would IMHO be BPA above any LB/DT available. I just don't think Andrews, Rivers, Mike Williams, or anybody better at DE is going to be available.

I like what I am hearing about Grove, but he doesn't really address the issue you have with RG. I think it is possible he might be BPA, but I'm not quite ready to say that yet. I need more on him.

You just don't take a RG until very late in the 1st at earliest. We must trade down if we want one in the draft. Even getting a 4th out of the trade down would be worthwhile vs. reaching.

How can we ignore the giant hole at RG as of right now, and then go out and draft a defensive player we don't even need IMO??....

Welcome to 2002 {Fletcher} / 2003 {Moore}.:cry:

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Our two important LB and our DT corps are getting old. We need replacements sooner or later. I don't think this is quite a Fletcher situation. As to Moore, I'd love to know if he will likely pan out. I think at worst he will replace Greenwood, but Greenwood isn't very important. The hope has to be that he can step in for Seau, but I just don't know that is feasible...

Possible scenario:

Only one of the large WRs (Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Williams, Michael Clayton, Reggie Williams) is there at #20. Our F.O. judges that we do not have need for that type of WR, thinking a smaller, faster WR is what we need for our #3. Andrews is off the board. The DT we had been eyeing is off the board.

San Diego has drafted Eli Manning (or better yet, traded down and drafted Big Ben). They have a specific need of a big, play-making WR to replace Boston. They offer us picks #35 (3rd pick in the 2nd round), #66 (3rd pick in the 3rd round), and #133 (1st pick in the 5th round). On the draft value chart that is 550 + 260 + 39.5 = 849.5. Our pick is worth 850. I didn't mean to get so close and do not think trades are always on-the-money. However, something like this could happen.

Would you slide down 15 spots to pick up an early 3rd and an early 5th?

There is just no way anyone will trade their 1st and 2nd to us for our 1st. We draft too late in the 1st round. Most players at that level grade out very close. The only way it could happen is if we dropped from 20 to 31 or 32 and got a pick at the end of the 2nd round.

I think this draft is about 2.5 rounds deep - in terms of guys that can come in and start immediately. That means moving down and getting a second & early-to-mid third rounder would represent value for the Phins.

Originally posted by Little Danny
There is just no way anyone will trade their 1st and 2nd to us for our 1st. We draft too late in the 1st round. Most players at that level grade out very close. The only way it could happen is if we dropped from 20 to 31 or 32 and got a pick at the end of the 2nd round.

i love this "no way"
how many times do i have to bring up the two trades for javon and kenyatta walker where the teams moved down roughly 7 or 8 spots i believe and picked up a 2nd round pick. That is all it takes. you have to consider there is a guy on the board that the team wants desperately and may be competing with other teams to move up as well. dropping from 20 to 28-32 should net us a 2nd round pick if spielman plays his cards correctly.

Back
Top Bottom