Training Camp Report - Saturday AM 7/31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Report - Saturday AM 7/31

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Training Camp has finally started and the off-season is officially over!!!

Man it was GREAT! It was probably the most vanilla practice I've been to in a long time, it was blistering HOT and they were practicing on the far field where it's harder to see and I still had a huge grin on my face the whole practice.

DOLPHIN'S FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!

Zach was running sideline to sideline during the practice and looked good. No cuts, only strait ahead, but looks to be recovering fast.

Bowens - not dressed and didn't practice - looking a little fat again

Madison - held back on team drills, looked fine in position drills

Eddie Moore - what injury?

After stretching, practice started with a team meeting at mid-field led by DW. Lots of whooping it up and rah-rah stuff and everyone left fired-up, especially the Defense. It was nice to see. The team showed no sign at all of all the distractions this off season and had a nice high-spirited practice to start 2004.

They practiced a little of everything but nothing too extreme. Basically what you would expect for the first day.

The middle drill is back! Nothing but the RB ramming it up the middle and straight forward blocking by the O-line. I have to say that from so far away it's hard to tell exact gains and who was at the bottom of the piles, but the O-line seemed to get a small surge on each play. Maybe only 2-3 yard gains, but not too bad considering the D knows where the ball is going. No real big losses I saw! Also no break-away runs...

There was one new drill. I haven't seen this practiced since JJ days. A coach simulates a charging DE and the QB must roll away from the pressure and throw on the run. Fiedler was especially comfortable in this drill.

The Qb's mostly threw shorter stuff with very few long balls attempted in any of the team drills. Both (sorry Sage) looked good. Jay was very sharp while AJ was a little behind on some of the quick throws and overthrew an open Boston in one of the early drills, but both looked fine and had nice completion %. Again it was very basic, but a nice Day 1.

There were no real big plays this morning. A nice catch near the end by Snoop and a strong run by Morris come to mind, but the true highlight of the practice was watching the ball boy trying to shag kick-offs from Mare. He looked 14 or 15 and had a real hard time. Either it bounced off his hands or he misjudged it and it went over his head. And since it was happening right in front of the stands the crowd was getting into it. Every time he missed one there was a big groan and I swear if he would have caught one he probably would have gotten an ovation. 10-15 reps and he did not catch one. (Still a lucky kid for getting to be on the field with the team!)

The 2 players that stood out the most to me were #31 Morris who was splitting snaps w/ Minor as the #2 RB and on D Bua had an active practice.
Morris - Strong runner with good speed. Also looked to have soft hands catiching the ball releasing out of the backfield.
Bua - Always seemed to be around the ball and was in on several tackles.

The only real bad play was Chambers on a reverse that went no where... All in all a good opening day!

I personally find it kind of hard to deal with 9AM practices. First off I'm not a morning person but secondly, it must be hard to perform physically at your peak that early. I wanted to go to the first practice because of tradition, but for the rest of camp I will probably catch the 4pm sessions... which will all probably be in the rain...! (As I am sitting here at 4:15pm looking out the window as it has just started to rain and I live less then 5 miles from the practice field)(* Update, now 5pm and pouring! Wonder if the 4pm practice today was canceled??)

Guess it's time to change my Avatar...

*** Also, I don't think I will be doing any more videos this year. I know it's against camp rules and getting tossed out would kill me. I've been going for like 15 years and wouldn't know what to do with myself this time of year. BTW: If any Dolphin Fan has not made it to a practice you need to go and visit the holy land at least once! I've heard many say we have the nicest practice facilities in the league. It's very fan friendly: park right by the field, concession stand w/ Arby's, The Dolphins Pro Shop, Cheerleaders, programs & rosters and a beautiful field. Oh yeah, and it's FREE!

Photos - Click Here

Videos - Click Here

Enjoy!

thanks dude...looks like Boston pulled up a little lame at the end of his over the shoulder catch video...did you notice anything in person?

4Dfins said:
thanks dude...looks like Boston pulled up a little lame at the end of his over the shoulder catch video...did you notice anything in person?
No I didn't notice him limping at all.

BTW, I know this report was a little 'Fluff' but they will get better when the crowds die back down to normal and I don't bring my GF so I can pay attention. It was actually crowded today, the stands were like 3/4 full... it was surprising to me so many people showed up.

Thanks, glad you didnt notice anything. I envy that you are able to go to the practices, and thanks again for sharing everything with us. Did you notice if Mcmike looked out of shape, and did donald lee do anything?

Gotta love the part during the Boston clip where the guy goes, "You can't cover him!!"

That's called "foreshadowing" boys and girls. :)

Dude, you don't need to change your avitar, just put a caption underneath it. Maybe something like,"DUDE, WHERES MY BONG?"

Thanks for the report!

Steve

:pray: Thanks alot Dude! A shame u cant get any more videos..

Did you notice Jeno james at all. I kno it was probably hard to focus on the LG in the mix of things, but just wondering if u got any impression what so ever of Jeno.

Muck said:
Gotta love the part during the Boston clip where the guy goes, "You can't cover him!!"

That's called "foreshadowing" boys and girls. :)

:chuckle:

Back
Top Bottom