Traits In Qb | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Traits In Qb

Pocket presence, leadership, accuracy, clutch gene

1. a QB that can say the word "p*ssy"
2. a QB that does not play for money, one willing to play for a practice squad paycheck.
3. a QB who's best play is not the statue of liberty play.

That's the problem with the fins -- since Marino, it seems we've hunted for QB's with 3 elite attributes instead of being a complete QB. I'd happily give up the highlight reel plays for game in and game out boring wins.

With the way the game is played now, I'd go like this.

1). Accuracy (quick hitters are current NFL)
2). Ability to buy second and third chances (mobility, pocket awareness).
3). Toughness/Durability (can't help team if you're hurt)

Obviously, there are others like leadership, desire, ability to make big plays.

1. Five-Star recruit out of high school
2. At least one very good season in college
3. Throws the ball with anticipation, i.e., before the receiver gets open

With QB a need in the near future, what are the top 3 traits you want to see the next one have?

I don't know about 3, but here's a trait EVERY top QB has . . . recognizing Ds. Seldom are they surprised by a blitz or misread a coverage. At snap, they know where the mismatch is, where they're going, and how much time they have. They'll even move receivers around to create a mismatch. We can argue the other 2, but that one trait is the one EVERY QB has to have. Unfortunately, not many have that trait, which is why there are so few 'elite' QBs.

Consistently clutch, able to improvise when needed, nobody who played receiver instead of QB

Parcells had QB "commandments". I know you asked for three, but he had 11. I know not exactly the same thing you were asking for, but what do ya'll think of these:
Quarterback commandments:
1. Ignore other opinions – Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hangers on – ignore them on matters of football, they don’t know what’s happening here.
2. Clowns can’t run a huddle – don’t forget to have fun but don’t be the class clown. Clowns and leaders don’t mix. Clowns can’t run a huddle.
3. Fat QBs can’t avoid the rush – A quarterback throws with his legs more than his arm. Squat and run.
4. Know your job cold – this is not a game without errors. Keep yours to a minimum. Study.
5. Know your own players – Who’s fast? Who can catch? Who needs encouragement? Be precise. Know your opponent.
6. Be the same guy every day – in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.
7. Throwing the ball away is a good play – sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.
8. Learn to manage the game – personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don’t you ever lose track of the clock.
9. Get your team in the end zone – passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.
10. Don’t panic – when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have a panic button.
11. Don’t be a celebrity QB – we don’t need any of those. We need battlefield commanders that are willing to fight it out, every day, every week and every season and lead their team to win after win after win.

Now these were the four traits Parcells was looking for when drafting QB's:
He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
  • He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
  • He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as "the guy" for some period of time.
  • He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

Lots of good traits listed here, I'm only going to list the one that I feel is most important and not listed already.

#1 Exceptional peripheral vision and ability to track multiple targets simultaneously.

Now these were the four traits Parcells was looking for when drafting QB's:
He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
  • He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
  • He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as "the guy" for some period of time.
  • He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.
And then we draft Chad Henne. Goes to show that nothing is a sure thing.

After hanging around Finheaven for a couple of years, I learned the correct answers are:

1. It
  2. It
  3. It

Back
Top Bottom