Traits In Qb | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Traits In Qb

1. arm talent/accuracy/arm strength with Alex Smith as the weakest allowable for an NFL level QB
2. Cerebral ability to run an NFL progression styled offense. No read option qb
3. footwork

Vision of the entire field when dropping, no compartmentalized vision.

Arm strength

Accuracy.

escapability trait.

sorry you have to have these four just to start.

Accuracy amidst suitable arm strength is most important. That's what keeps Tannehill around even though he lacks so many things elsewhere, notably long term greatness and therefore a belief he's great.

Ability to vary pace and loft to fit the evolving requirement of the play is paramount. If you have someone like that it's like a golfer who has mastered every shot in the short game. Incredible advantage. Players like Clausen and Hackenberg get touted even though all they own is the tunnel vision line drive fastball.

djphinfan predictably had an excellent list. It's so vital especially in the red zone to have that quarterback who is relaxed throughout the dropback and with every segment quickly reviewed and available. My reference point for quarterback stupidity and limitation is 4-wide near the goal line, let's say between the 5 and 10. With some blockheads the only options are dart into coverage or the worthless fade. But the gem with the relaxed mind and relaxed arm can find the path for the semi-floater and a touchdown that feels like theft.

Escapability to run occasionally is the ultimate bonus. But nifty sliding instincts in the pocket is right up there with varying pace and loft in terms of bailing out plays that otherwise look hopeless.

Accuracy is essential in the jump from college to the NFL.

What Tannehill lacks is the ability to raise his game when it matters....make clutch plays when it matters.

I also think he plays too slow and the decision making is lacking...he doesn’t see the whole field.

Vision of the entire field when dropping, no compartmentalized vision.

Arm strength

Accuracy.

escapability trait.

sorry you have to have these four just to start.

Like it, it is just so hard to only pick 3. You really need 5-6 imo.

You also need leadership. QB needs to be the guy that inspires others to play better.

Unfortunately, vision is so overlooked nowadays, it really is sad. Coaches seem to think they can scheme their way around it and create a "system." Thing is, actually playing QB requires this trait 100% of the time. I also think this is part of the reason that Pederson is doing so well in Philly with Wentz and Foles. He understands the position and doesnt try to make his QBs into robots.

Accuracy amidst suitable arm strength is most important. That's what keeps Tannehill around even though he lacks so many things elsewhere, notably long term greatness and therefore a belief he's great.

Ability to vary pace and loft to fit the evolving requirement of the play is paramount. If you have someone like that it's like a golfer who has mastered every shot in the short game. Incredible advantage. Players like Clausen and Hackenberg get touted even though all they own is the tunnel vision line drive fastball.

djphinfan predictably had an excellent list. It's so vital especially in the red zone to have that quarterback who is relaxed throughout the dropback and with every segment quickly reviewed and available. My reference point for quarterback stupidity and limitation is 4-wide near the goal line, let's say between the 5 and 10. With some blockheads the only options are dart into coverage or the worthless fade. But the gem with the relaxed mind and relaxed arm can find the path for the semi-floater and a touchdown that feels like theft.

Escapability to run occasionally is the ultimate bonus. But nifty sliding instincts in the pocket is right up there with varying pace and loft in terms of bailing out plays that otherwise look hopeless.
Accuracy is essential in the jump from college to the NFL.

What Tannehill lacks is the ability to raise his game when it matters....make clutch plays when it matters.

I also think he plays too slow and the decision making is lacking...he doesn’t see the whole field.
For me, early on, and continuing into the present, I don’t have trust in pressure situations, basically when the pocket gets compromised/constricted..I feel like the quickness and anticipation, body and mind, is not there.

Back
Top Bottom