Trouble brewing over Jets QB's | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trouble brewing over Jets QB's

Never been sold on Sanchez, but as is the case with all rookies, he hasn't proved he can play, he hasn't proved he's a bust. How about we wait until the season starts before we decide what a rookie can or can't do?

As for Clemons, Jets have no chance at all if he's playing, and I know plenty of Jets fans who can vouch for me on that one. I think their almost better off starting Sanchez. Unless of course they want to give him time to develop, then they will just have to suck it up while Clemons starts, at least it's for the good of Sanchez instead of throwing him to the wolves too early (See David Carr, John Beck).

It's so sad all the hopes you guys have that Sanchez will bust. .

Well from my perspective the Jets will have a very solid defense, you have 2 good RB's in Thomas and Washington and possibly a third in Greene. So being a Dolfan (& hating the Jets with a passion) you would be right in saying I hope your QB's a bust.

Never been sold on Sanchez, but as is the case with all rookies, he hasn't proved he can play, he hasn't proved he's a bust. How about we wait until the season starts before we decide what a rookie can or can't do?

As for Clemons, Jets have no chance at all if he's playing, and I know plenty of Jets fans who can vouch for me on that one. I think their almost better off starting Sanchez. Unless of course they want to give him time to develop, then they will just have to suck it up while Clemons starts, at least it's for the good of Sanchez instead of throwing him to the wolves too early (See David Carr, John Beck).

Just keep in mind in 2007 he was 3-5 as our starter while Chad was 1-7. I don't think he's had a chance to prove anything yet. Sanchez is our future and if he's ready then I want him starting but I'm ok if Kellen has to start the season.

I have to question the idea of not playing Sanchez and Clemons very much tonight....is there that much of a lack of quality depth on the O-line that rex is really that scared of? If thats the case, the jets better hope for an injury free season up front.

I have to question the idea of not playing Sanchez and Clemons very much tonight....is there that much of a lack of quality depth on the O-line that rex is really that scared of? If thats the case, the jets better hope for an injury free season up front.

There's really no reason to risk starting QB's in the first preseason game when 3/5ths of your starting o-line is out. Our o-line depth is one of the biggest concerns on this team, so yes the Jets better hope for an injury free season up front.

They're all unproven guys, as fans none of us have any idea what they can do.

Thanks. i wasn't blasting the decision, just curious. As I have stated before, IMO the reason for the lack of depth in areas is bc of the picks traded to move up on draft day. It just seems like kind of a wash to lose a lot of game experience bc of lack of depth. I was looking forward to seeing them play.

Thanks. i wasn't blasting the decision, just curious. As I have stated before, IMO the reason for the lack of depth in areas is bc of the picks traded to move up on draft day. It just seems like kind of a wash to lose a lot of game experience bc of lack of depth. I was looking forward to seeing them play.
Not building depth in the draft is one of my biggest complaints about Tannenbaum so far. He has done a pretty good job in acquiring talent however it has been at the expense of solid depth.

He also has neglected the 3-4 d-line in the draft. Not one 3-4 DE or NT has been selected since he has been GM and we switched to the 3-4. I'm hoping he will begin drafting for depth and stockpiling picks in 2010 instead of continuing to trade them away. I'm not complaining about the talent he's brought in by doing so, but you have to have depth, especially in December and January when it counts.

Well if you lost 3 starting OL any team would be in trouble, we could manage if we lost 1 guy. Ryan thinks Wayne Hunter has the potential to be a starting OT in the NFL. They also really like Turner a guy who can play every spot on the OL I think, I'm interested in a late round rookie we got Slauson, he looks like a mean dude. The Jets have unproven guys as backups, but so does most teams.

Depth is what defines good football teams. Injuries are part of the game, it all depends on how good your next guy coming in can be. A lot of people on the board were upset the team didnt draft more O-lineman this past draft. But the emergence of Shawn Murphy as a quality guy we drafted last yr, who is currently running with the starters has eased some of that concern for me. I expect Donald Thomas to replace him in the starting lineup after our first pre season game, but he will get valuable experience.

IMO 2 yrs into a complete rebuild, we have more quality depth than I have seen on this team in years. Now we just need to add a couple difference makers and we could be extremely competitive.

If the jets can stay healthy on the lines, I think they will have a decent year. If Sanchez turns out as fans are hoping, the Pats will be in for a real dogfight for the East title for yrs.

I forget which announcer said it during the pats-eagles game (Randy Cross maybe?), but he made a good point on why you'd risk your starter in the preseason. Since the games don't count, the qb has a lot of lattitude - throw it away, throw early, even throw an INT.

McNabb played almost the entire first half, same as Brady. Philly had 3 starting Olinemen out.

Rex should use some of that defensive agression with the qbs and let Sanchez get baptised in a 'real' game.

Each team has their own philosophy I suppose. Though I tend to agree with Tailgater. Pennington is going to play anywhere from a couple series to the whole first quarter. Henne Im suspecting will play in the 2nd and on into the third, then white will get to play in the 4th. Our starting o-line Im guessing will play the entire first half, defense....we've got a lot of guys to rotate to get some looks at, I cant even predict how thats gonna play out.

Most teams don't play their starters much the first preseason game, only a series or 2. The Jets will play their starting offense for a couple series Ryan said, first with Clemens than with Sanchez.

And yesterday McNabb had a lot of trouble with protection with 3 starters out, hes also a seasoned veteran. The Jets are sending young QBs that aren't comfortable and Sanchez is a rookie, you don't want him in his first game playing with 3 starters out on the OL. Especially when one of the starters is Nick Mangold who makes the line calls.

And depth is important, but not many teams can say that if they lost 3 starters on their OL that they would still be good there. Most teams would be in serious trouble. If the Jets lost one starter like Damien Woody, we probably could survive. I'm sure Wayne Hunter could fill in fine, he won't be the run blocker that Woody is but the Jets could figure out a way. Like I said, Rex Ryan feels Hunter could be a starting OT in this league. He did a good job last year in preseason.

Remember last preseason? remember brady sat out and Cassel got most of the snaps and looked terrible, to the point where many expected him to be cut? Even with all that preseason work, he was clueless about the speed of the NFL, even after being in the league for 4yrs. I can't imagine how bad he would have looked without all that work in the preseason!

Do you really want Sanchez to have a minimal amount of snaps, in games that do not count? Against the Rams? When is the guy supposed to learn? Under the gun in the first regular season game?

If Sanchez does not get a lot of work against the first string defenses, there is no way Ryan will name him the #1 anytime soon. If Ryan is that afraid, he'll end up sacrificing Clemens and the jets season thru fear & indecision.

Joe Flacco only threw 3 passes last year in the first preseason game and worked with the 3rd stringers.

The way Ryan has practiced Sanchez was to make it feel like a game situation, he put as much heat on him as possible with the only thing he didn't receive was getting hit.

Preseason games defenses really don't show much, they play vanilla. Sanchez will receive playing time, just not as much tonight because of 3 starters being down. The guys that are out won't be out that long, they are just a bit banged up. Sanchez sees more in practice than what he would see in a preseason game, the only difference is guys actually coming to hit you.

The 3rd preseason game is the most regular season like game of the preseason games, when we play the Giants its usually a good show of where the Jets are. Both teams play hard and show a bit more of what they'll do in the season, and also play the starters for 2 quarters to 3 quarters.

Anyways lets wait and see how much he actually does play tonight, because we really don't know, just know that Ryan said Ainge will get most of the reps.

I really hope Dirty Sanchez plays againist the Fins. Who knows, maybe I should be careful what I wish for BUT I would love to see Porter, Roth or Taylor rough that punk up.

Back
Top Bottom