Tuesday 8/19 Evening Practice Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tuesday 8/19 Evening Practice Report

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
The team held their last evening practice tonight at JRS (yes it’s JRS not Pro Underwear Stadium). It started at 7pm and was a great night for football. Cool with clear skies – very enjoyable. Maybe about 5000 fans attended.

For the most part it was limited contact and ¾ speed. The DB’s especially seemed to be laying off the WR’s a little. Also I noticed the first team O going vs. the 2nd team D and vice versa a lot today.

Looked good – Fiedler, Griese, Chambers, #37 Banks, #19 Hooks, #17 Simmons, #98 Grigsby, #56 Seaverns & #32 Rogers

Plays of the Day – Almost back to back TD catches from Jay to #84 Chambers. 1st beating #37 Banks who looked like he had great coverage, and the 2nd he went up high for beating the coverage of #25 Lowe.

Worst play – Very ugly reverse that McKnight had to go deep into the backfield to get the ball from #26 Henry. Loss on play.

I got there at about 7:10 to catch the end of the kickoff drill. #10 Mare was practicing the onsides kick-off on the dirt infield. #31 Marion and #88 Thompson were used to attempt the recovery of the ball and each succeeded on the 2 reps I saw. Both kicks got the high bounce and looked good.

Then came the QB’s & WR’s warming up. All 4 QB’s and all the receivers looked good. I only saw 2 balls hit the ground. Sage short hoped the throw on an intermediate out and Griese had a good throw dropped by #81 McMichael after hitting him in the hands.

#99 JT – ran off the field early in the practice with one of the trainers, was back out later, but I don’t recall seeing him line up

7 vs 7
Fiedler – Looked good. Had a good completion on a deep out to #84 Chambers on the first rep. #25 Lowe looked to be there in coverage but didn’t try to make a play. Also had a drop by #80 McKnight on a quick slant that was thrown perfectly.

Griese – Looked very good. Great deep ball down the middle to #87 Tolver beating #36 Donaldson in coverage. Had another outstanding catch from #84 Chambers in the back of the end zone, but it looked like he came down out of bounds.

Sage – Looked ok - had a pass intended for #19 Hooks broken up by #55 Seau in deep coverage. Had a great throw to #8 Jackson cutting across the middle of the field. It looked like a catch, but after ½ step #31 Marion knocked the ball out of his hands – incomplete.

Sheriff – got some reps and struggled a little. First attempt almost picked off by #20 Buckley. His eyes were locked on to the receiver. He had a drop by #16 Newson that came out when he couldn’t tuck the ball away after a nice throw. Had a bad throw missing an open #8 Jackson in the corner of the end zone being several yards too short with the throw. He did have a couple of completions including one to #19 Hooks who showed some good speed pulling away from everyone in the middle of the field.

11 vs 11 (Actually was 9 vs 9 a lot missing 2 lineman)
Fiedler – Nice throw and catch to #80 McKnight speeding across the middle - #37 Banks trailed in coverage. Another good throw to #88 Thompson as #45 Roundtree couldn’t get his head around in time. Thompson again by the sideline in front of #36 Donaldson for about 10 yards. He also missed Thompson on a poorly thrown fade pattern way out of bounds.

#98 Grigsby – had a nice sack getting past #74 Smith to get to the QB – play continued - complete to #80 McKnight. Had another rep where he got into the backfield quickly but Griese got the ball away. Had a very good practice.

#74 Smith – overall looked good. Gave up a couple of sacks, but won his share of battles also. Looked to get some push on running plays as well.

#17 Simmons – had a couple of catches and looked back to form. His first reception was a lob pass from Jay down the middle of the field he reached back for. Had another catch on a quick out in front of #41 Leftwich against apparent zone coverage. He did have a tough one from Sage that he couldn’t bring in.

#82 Battaglia – Had a drop on is first rep after Fiedler came back to him late after finding no one open. The throw wasn’t perfect, but it was catchable. Had his first reception from Griese on a great fingertip catch of a well thrown deep out - #22 Wooden was the closest defender.

#30 Femi – a few catches including a nice reception from Jay, getting the ball in stride full-speed in the flat. Then toasting #56 Seaverns who was in coverage with his great speed getting around the corner. Had another completion on a similar play this time beating #59 to the corner for 10-12 yards.

Griese
Had a nice looking throw to an open Tolver streaking across the middle of the field, but #56 got way up in the air to tip it away. Great play. Had a very good throw to #19 Hooks deep down the near sideline beating #37 in coverage to bring it in. Also hit #17 Simons from the shotgun who bobbled but brought in the ball by the sideline in front of #48 Hardmon

#67 McKenzie – sack getting around the right side of the OLine – play continued - incomplete looking for #19 Hooks but #37 Banks was all over him with great coverage. A couple of reps later Banks again looked very good stepping in front of another pass intended for Hooks and making the nice interception.

Sage – on his first rep he looked to have a completion squeezed in to #19 Hooks after holding the ball forever and finally firing it late down the middle. Just as the ball got there though, Zack gave Hooks a forearm and Seau took a swipe at the ball and he couldn’t hang on. Great play, crowd erupts. On another rep, Sage held the ball for a while then tried to flick it to #2 Fryzel but #31 Marion was right there to break it up.

Sheriff – First rep complete to #8 Jackson who looked very good making moves underneath. Had another 2 balls complete to #16 Newson despite tight coverage by #21 Fletcher both times. Another to #16 in front of #25 Lowe. Another nice throw and catch to #19 Hooks who made the catch at the 3 yard line and dove into the end zone. One play though, Hooks bailed out Lon on an ill-advised throw when #45 Roundtree had great coverage. Roundtree looked like he ripped Hooks’ arm off attacking the ball, but the ball got tipped up into the air and Hooks ended up with it.

RW – had a big hole up the middle on a draw for his first rep – again the D was very soft on him, and the crowd goes crazy every time he touches the ball. Had another good run up the middle and a couple of basic catches in the flat & releasing late up the middle. He did have a drop on an easy screen pass when #66 & #68 were in great position to block ahead of the play. Could have been a huge gain.

#47 Edwards – Didn’t find much running room including running right into #64 Chester trying to go up the middle. Got stuffed by #51 Hendricks & #56 Seaverns at the line on another attempt.

#26 Henry – had a nice run showing good speed by getting to the outside after making it through the line

#35 Irving – looked good finding room on an inside handoff until #27 came up and gave him a shot for a 5 yard gain. He also had a quiet catch in the flat, and one releasing late up the middle where #55 Seau smacked him right away.

#34 Rogers – first running attempt was strung out wide nicely by #29 Madison & #55 Seau for 3-4 yard loss.

#93 got in the backfield putting pressure on the QB on back to back plays, but Sheriff got rid of the ball complete both times. 1st short to Irving and the second was a good throw and great catch to #8 Jackson in the middle of the field.

#97 Jurineack – looked very good on one play getting into the backfield quickly and forcing an incompletion after beating #61 Ruddy to the inside. Also showed up big time teaming up with #56 to stop RW at the line for no gain.

#78 Anderson – went down hard on one play about 2/3 of the way through the practice and got up slow and was limping a little. He tried to walk it of, but ended up being helped off the field by a trainer. He did return and almost made a play tipping a ball from Jay that was intended for #88 Thompson. He got a piece of the ball but Thompson made the catch anyways. Good concentration by Thompson.

#40 McDermott – No long snapping today but I did see him actually lined up as a TE for one play. He went in motion, but surprise, Surprise he stayed in to help block – turned out he bought Sage the time to find #8 Jackson beating #20 Buckley who had the coverage.

#94 Romero – got a sack on one play by getting in the backfield in a flash – play continued and Sheriff threw incomplete to #87 Tolver who had #45 Roundtree all over him with very aggressive coverage

#67 McKenzie – on one play caused an incomplete from Sage by disrupting the blocking at the line and putting pressure on the QB

At 8:30 on the dot, the lightest sprinkle started and about ½ the place cleared out… welcome to Miami.

2 min drill – 1st string O vs. D – ball on the 30 – didn’t see a clock to tell the time
Fiedler:
1) looked like Fletcher jumped offside, play continued, inside handoff to RW – no gain – clock running
2) Throw to #81 McMichael short across the middle - #21 Fletcher dives to bat the ball away - #84 Chambers ends up catching it off the deflection – GREAT PLAY!
3) Deep down the middle of the field – Great diving catch by #80 McKnight. Perfect throw and catch – 25 yard gain - clock running
4) Spiked ball
5) RW in motion, ending up wide by the sideline – high throw over the middle to #81 McMichael who gets his hands on it but can’t catch the ball…#21 Fletcher in coverage
6) RW in motion, ending up wide by the sideline again. Throw underneath to #80 McKnight to about the 7 yard line – clock running
7) Shotgun – Jay scrambling away from #64 Chester and finally throws incomplete to #80 McKnight with #29 Madison with great coverage
Offense Failed

Griese:
1) Screen to #32 Rogers – moving very quick gains 20-25 yards – out of bounds
2) Draw to Rogers – gains 10 yards showing great moves in the open field – clock running
3) Complete to Simmons on the near sideline – quick out to 14 yard line
4) Short dump to Rogers – tackled quickly for 3-4 yards – clock running
5) Shotgun - #98 Grigsby in quick on the rush – throws ball away
6) Inside handoff to #32 Rogers - #22 Wooden got a hand on him at the LOS and they blew it dead – not sure if he would have been tackled in a game
7) Spiked Ball
8) Quick out to Simmons complete to 2 yard line – out of bounds
9) Spiked Ball (yes last play was oob)
10) Held ball FOREVER! - #98 Grigsby was all over him – threw a bad choice to a well covered #87 Tolver – ball bounced off 2 defenders before Tolver got a hand on it – lucky to be incomplete
11) Nice throw and catch in traffic 2 yards deep in the end zone to Battaglia right in the middle of the field. Nice catch by Marco who spiked the ball.
TD! TD! TD!

Fiedler:
1) Play action to RW - Lazy throw looking to dumb the ball to RW - #95 Bowens gets up to knock the ball down
2) Bad throw to RW on a screen – had to come back for the ball off his shoe tops – tackled minimal gain – clock running
3) Shotgun – steps up in the pocket then drifts to his right – Finds #84 Chambers by the sideline over a diving #24 Knight – made the catch, but he couldn’t get both feet in bounds – incomplete
4) 4th down – staring down #84 Chambers running down the near seam - #24 Knight broke on the ball well – should have had an int as the ball bounced off his chest
Offense Failed

NICE JOB, DUDE.

Since this was the last open practice to the public....I would like to personally thank this DUDE, literally...for giving us fans and retired camp reporters like myself...some of the best day-to-day...he gave us the play by play of practices...which is not that easy to jot down first...then be ready for the next play to cover.

I don't know how old you are and how you had all the time to do this everyday....but I have one question for you....

Can you do this again for all of us next season?

Thanks....DCH

Yeah dude the detailed camp reports are GREAT!!!! Thanx for all ur time and effort, and like DCH said can u do this again next year??? I'll send u a case of Canadian beer!!! lol

LOOK FOR GRIESE TO REALLY COME ON NOW...

I liked DUDES report on BRIAN GRIESE once again...looking sharp in this team scrimmage. Many people I have talked to believe that GRIESE is really coming on now...his confidence is getting better...and he has had a very good week of practice. The most important observation....is that BRIAN is starting to throw some strikes down field...getting the ball to Chambers...who has also showed flashes of his old self...by the way. I really look forward to see how Griese plays this Friday night....expect for the Dolphins to take some shots down field....and I really believe that GRIESE is going to show the fans something this week...to make us feel real good about his progress in this offense...

On the negative side of his report.....I don't think TE RANDY MCMICHAEL is playing that well....and he has had the case of the dropsies this week in practice as well. He took a penalty last week...and quite frankly....he just needs to start backing up his bark. Randy needs to start getting it into gear real fast... and get these kinks out...he has not been as active as the coaches had thought so far. Another guy who is dropping balls lately is MARCO BATTAGLIA....his head is on right now...but his hands may need a soft manicure now. The guy who is really looking good right now....is DONALD LEE...who is a superb blocker...who likes to smash people around...he just is not polished in routes yet. He is the guy who is coming on now....this is a guy who will be used in the 2 te packages near the goal line.

Another point this week...the fact that GRIESE has worked as the holder.....WANNY putting pressure on ROYALS to keep punting and retain his job.

And OLINDO is really having an exceptional camp....has anyone noticed his kickoffs....they are 10 yards deep in the end zone consisitently....he is really kicking the heck out of the ball...and MCDERMOTT so far...because he has worked with ROYALS before in TAMPA....has been outstanding with the snapping....

If the Dolphins are going to trade anyone....why can't they start looking to trade ROBERT EDWARDS? How about to DALLAS? The scout team is where EDWARDS is now....as L. Henry looks like he has a spot on this roster....

Something like a fifth? Maybe a fifth or sixth for Dyer to the Rams.

Re: NICE JOB, DUDE.

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
Since this was the last open practice to the public....I would like to personally thank this DUDE, literally...for giving us fans and retired camp reporters like myself...some of the best day-to-day...he gave us the play by play of practices...which is not that easy to jot down first...then be ready for the next play to cover.

I don't know how old you are and how you had all the time to do this everyday....but I have one question for you....

Can you do this again for all of us next season?

Thanks....DCH
Big thx!

And to let you know I use a digital voice recorder to 'take notes' and typically have 80-90 individual clips.

And yes, even with only going to the 4pm practices, my business suffers during camp months... but it's worth it!

I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED....

I would not be surprised at all to see the DOlphins look to upgrade the TE position through the waiver wire next week....to see it there is anyone out there better than a MARCO BATTAGLIA.

Obviously....the LT depth is a concern and also...with 1 more injury to the LB corps....then I would say that Spielman will look that way next week also.

Expect the Dolphins to cut down even past the 65 man limit next week..so they can bring in a few guys who will be cut from other teams next week. Why? Because like I said in an earlier post....SPIELMAN has that list from Director of Pro Scouting....GEORGE PATON...who has compiled a list of over 50 players who may be able to help the Dolphins if they become available. And you know probably...at least 2 or more will be on that chopping block list. Remember the pickup of DESMOND CLARK last year....replacing the TE formerly known as ALONZO MAYES? Can we get another guy like that again...we will see....but I think now that the DOLPHINS will really try and get that third TE...who will definately force BATTAGLIA now...to leave camp...unvoluntarily.

Dude...
You've done a spectacular job on these reports!

In fact all of you have... I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed, by putting time and effort into bringing your perspectives from camp to the boards!

:up: :up:
Two thumbs up to all of you!

The Dude is the Man. Way to go. Excellent detail on the reports. These are just great. Is there a way the website can give him a reward or something for his reports?

It's not just that he's present at all these, he's doing a phenomenal job! It's better stuff than you would read in any of the papers!

In fact, Dude, you ought to get hired by these guys! Great stuff.

Thanks again.

Interesting to see Griese has picked things up...People tend to forget this guy is a former All Pro QB...Let`s all jump on the Griese bandwagon..

:bandwagon

:jk:

Back
Top Bottom