Turner big on Thompson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Turner big on Thompson

I thought he couldn't run a 4.3 40...If he's that fast, why do people keep saying we need another speed receiver...but I will tell you this..since I live here in Maryland, bout 20 min. from Redskin Stadium..we got a stud at receiver..This guy is no joke..he was out muscliing guys for the ball..He really was the O for the skins when it came to receiving..I'm still wondering why the skins let him go..but it's our advantage..believe me..you guys will like him..

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I thought he couldn't run a 4.3 40...If he's that fast, why do people keep saying we need another speed receiver...but I will tell you this..since I live here in Maryland, bout 20 min. from Redskin Stadium..we got a stud at receiver..This guy is no joke..he was out muscliing guys for the ball..He really was the O for the skins when it came to receiving..I'm still wondering why the skins let him go..but it's our advantage..believe me..you guys will like him..

he absolutely doesnt run a 4.3 40...

again, i will ask.. what was it that you saw in him in washington that makes you think he was a stud? he wasnt a starter all year.. only after they benched others for poor play did he crack the starting lineup.. and they let him go for nothing at the end of the season.. surely if he was such a 4.3 running, catch everything, david-bostonish beast they could have offered up the scraps that miami paid for him, no?

Originally posted by Tatonka

again, i will ask.. what was it that you saw in him in washington that makes you think he was a stud? he wasnt a starter all year.. only after they benched others for poor play did he crack the starting lineup.. and they let him go for nothing at the end of the season.. surely if he was such a 4.3 running, catch everything, david-bostonish beast they could have offered up the scraps that miami paid for him, no?

He was like third fastest player on last year Radskins team.Thompson was a steal at the price the Fins got him for and Washington was stupid ot let this guy go.

He does not run a 4.30. His speed is something like Hines Ward fast is my best guess.

Originally posted by Jaj
He does not run a 4.30. His speed is something like Hines Ward fast is my best guess.

I'm not sure how fast he really is (I've seen from 4.39 to 4.6) but I can tell you from watching him in Minicamp he is fast.I read some report where he was the third fastest player on Redskins team.

Originally posted by Tatonka

The problem was he was not a Spurrier guy..He was good in Training camp and preseason..but he wasn't tested...i.e a vet so the Spurrier special picks guys..ie guys he brought..got the first crack at starting for him..but this guy wouldn't go away..as I said. I'm not sure why they let him go..alot of people here in DC was wondering why also...but as soon as they got coles from the Jets the talk cooled down..But i say we got a up and coming receiver who may break out big for us if given the chance..At least he played alot last year and got valuable experience that I think will carry him a long way this year..Skins remind me of the Wizzards..they always let their best players go, to get value...that usually don't work out...just like Hamilton to Detroit..Thompson may very well be our Hamilton..

Nobody said he runs a 4.30 they said he ran a 4.39 and honestly its not inconceivable that somewhere he ran that on a fast track or something. Guys normally run numerous 40's before they are drafted...combine, pro days, private workouts, etc. All this particular source needed was one report of a 4.39 at a private workout to say that he runs a 4.39 and meanwhile his school's own draft guide probably goes by their pro day numbers and listed i think a 4.55

But if you had to group him with guys in terms of speed, he's more a 4.55 guy and not a 4.4 guy.

BTW, yes Derrius Thompson did start the season as a starter for the Redskins. He was subbed out incessantly by Steve Spurrious for his former Gayders because he couldnt get it through his thick skull to play with the best players on the field. Finally toward the end of the season Spurrious put an end to the quarterback shuffle, put an end to the WR shuffle, and had Derrius Thompson and Rod Gardner start with Patrick Ramsey being QB...and then Derrius flourished. Caught something like almost 500 yards in the last 5 games.

They didn't sign him back for a number of reasons and this comes directly from Skins fans and Skins statements.

#1. They thought he would get more money than he did.

#2. They wanted either Peerless Price or Laveraneous Coles and Derrius may be good, but he's not that good.

#3. They already have Darnerien McCants and Rod Gardner under contract. Doesn't that sound awefully repetitive? Getting Thompson back would add a third receiver to the group (Gardner and Coles top two) who is in the mold of Gardner except slower, whereas Spurrious likes his receivers small and quick not big and strong.

When polled about the loss of Derrius Thompson, overwhelmingly the majority of Skins fans were either pissed or just resigned to losing him because of his size/speed combo not fitting what Spurrious wants considering he's already got McCants and Gardner. Some Skins fans pointed out that Thompson has better hands and makes more plays when playing than Rod Gardner.

Its entirely possible that Thompson is a 1000 yard receiver waiting to happen, and was buried by Spurrious this season with the whole QB roundabout and the gayder lovefest goin on with former gayder receivers.

Hey CK we're starting to agree..we've got to stop this..may ruin our image on this board..:D

Turner said that he's not very fast, but he gets very good separation and uses his hands well.

BTW, sorry inFINSible, I didn't log back on until after the show was over, so I didn't read your post until now.

Back
Top Bottom