U-20 World Cup | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

U-20 World Cup

iceblizzard69

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Preview Article: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=47111&itype=113&iCategoryID=0

USA Squad List
1. CRONIN Steve
28/05/1983 188 88 GK Santa Clara Univ.
2. WHITBREAD Zak
04/03/1984 191 82 DF Liverpool
3. MAPP Justin
18/10/1984 178 73 MF Chicago Fire
4. MARSHALL Chad
22/08/1984 191 89 DF Stanford Univ.
5. COCHRANE Ryan
08/08/1983 185 77 DF Santa Clara Univ.
6. STONE Jordan
16/03/1984 189 77 MF Dallas Burn
7. JOHNSON Ed
31/03/1984 183 77 FW Dallas Burn
8. KLAAS C J
23/08/1983 170 74 DF Washington Univ.
9. QUARANTA Santino
14/10/1984 185 84 FW Washington DC Utd.
10. CONVEY Bobby
27/05/1983 173 68 MF Washington DC Utd.
11. CLARK Ricardo
10/02/1983 178 75 MF N.Y./N.J. MetroStars
12. ADU Freddy
02/06/1989 177 68 MF Bethesda International
13. MAGEE Mike
02/09/1984 175 68 FW N.Y./N.J. MetroStars
14. DEMPSEY Clint
09/03/1983 185 77 MF Furman Univ.
15. JOHNSON David
16/01/1984 180 73 MF Willem II
16. MOOR Drew
15/01/1984 183 77 DF Indiana Univ.
17. CAMERON Knox
17/09/1983 191 95 FW Michigan Univ.
18. WILLIAMS Ford
20/02/1984 191 86 GK North Carolina Univ.
19. GRABAVOY Ned
01/07/1983 170 70 MF Indiana Univ.
20. HARVEY Jordan
28/01/1984 180 77 DF UCLA

First game:
USA 3
Paraguay 1

I just watched the game, Paraguay got the early lead off a free kick, but 3 second half goals gave the USA victory. Unfortunately, Freddy Adu did not get in the game. :(

Next game is against Germany on December 2nd.

Let me say something by looking at that list. I've been watching US Soccer ever since I can remember, and the one thing that kind of bothered me was the fact that a lot of our players on any national team weren't real Americans. Most of them were American residents or citizens. They would have guys originally from Italy, South America, Germany, central America, and anywhere else on our team. I felt like it wasn't really our team but some kind of international team in hopes of displaying a good team. The top USA national team still has players like that such as Llamosa (columbian), Diego Guiterrez, Alecko Eskadarian, Bocanegra and some other I can't remember.

But now, that list seems to prove that American-born players are stepping up the ranks and filling up the squad which I think is a great thing as opposed to have someone else come here from another country they couldn't make their national team, move here for 4 years, and make our squad.

And by the way that Zak Whitebread, he's from Liverpool, England?? What's up with that?

It lists the club they play for, not where they are from. Zak Whitbread is an American with an English father who plays for Liverpool. He was born here and moved when he was young. He was eventually signed by Liverpool, but if his father wasn't English he would never have never gotten a work permit to play for them.

A lot of Americans play in youth systems for foreign clubs. Also, Bocanegra is an American who was born in the USA. I think Eskandarian is as well. I don't know where you are getting that from. They are Hispanic but it doesn't mean they weren't born here.

Originally posted by Dolfan02
The top USA national team still has players like that such as Llamosa (columbian), Diego Guiterrez, Alecko Eskadarian, Bocanegra and some other I can't remember.

Llamosa does not play for national team anymore. Never heard of the other two and they don't pplay for the national team either.

Originally posted by Prime Time

Llamosa does not play for national team anymore. Never heard of the other two and they don't pplay for the national team either.

Eskandarian was the number 1 pick in the MLS draft in 2002 I believe and he was once called up for a USA game. Also, I have no idea why he was mentioned in the first place since he is from New Jersey. Same with Carlos Bocanegra who is from California. I don't know why 02 thought they were international.

My bad about BocaNegra, yes he's from Upland, Cali.

But Carlos Llamomsa is from Palmeira, Columbia, he obtained his US citizenship in 1998, and 14 days later he represented USA in an international game vs. Australia. Thats BS, what a rig. We're better than that IMO. Guiterrez is also from Columbia, Bogota.
Pablo Mastroeni is from Argentina. He got his US citizenship in 2001 and later that year played for us, another rig. David Regis, a French native, was discovered by Sampson in 1997 in Europe, he played all 3 games for USA in 1998 World Cup. And there's that other guy who played during 2002 World Cup for USA, a young Argentine, he literally looked like Aguinaga with his long hair and little thin rope around his forehead (not that there's anything wrong with that), but it loooked like he forgot what team he plays for. But I'm glad that roster above as more real Americans.

Yeah, right now the only person who plays a lot on the USA team who wasn't born here are Mastroeni and Earnie Stewart. However, Stewart's father was an American who I think was in the armed forces.

Freddy Adu wasn't born here but he has lived here since he was 7 so he was practically raised here.

Regis was married to an American who I believed worked for the government so he attained citizenship without ever living here.

USA has all types of backrounds of coourse not everyone will be American. Either way USA Soccer is improving.

Originally posted by Prime Time
USA has all types of backrounds of coourse not everyone will be American. Either way USA Soccer is improving.

Listen to this statement. Geez.

You're missing the whole point.

BTW, since you brought it up, I should know more than anyone about USA having various backgrounds. My mother is from South America and my father is originally from Europe, BUT I was born here in Miami. Thats my point - where were you born.

USA vs. Germany tomorrow!

Germany lost their first game to Korea and I heard that Germany did not bring many of their best U-20 players, and that is probably because of club duty.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
USA vs. Germany tomorrow!

Germany lost their first game to Korea and I heard that Germany did not bring many of their best U-20 players, and that is probably because of club duty.

What channel and time?! I saw Ivory Coast beat Mexico 2-1 the other day. Let me tell you, Africans are getting better and better and better every single year, the day will come when an African team wins the big one.

Germany 3
USA 1

:(

Now, everyone in the group is tied with 3 points. A USA win on Friday would guarantee that they advance, while I have no idea what will happen if they get a draw.

02, they were playing when you made that post. I was in school so I missed the game.

USA vs. Korea tomorrow.

The USA needs to win to advance. Everyone in the group has 3 points, but Korea leads on goal differential. A draw would just make the situation more confusing, but I know for a fact that if there is a winner in the Germany/Paraguay game, Korea advances and the USA goes home. Basically, the USA needs to win this game.

Back
Top Bottom