UFC 70: This Saturday on SPIKE!

Motion

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Should be a very good one!

Live from the UK 9pm EST on SPIKE

Main Card Bouts:
-Mirko Cro Cop (#2 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
-Andrei Arlovski (#7 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Fabricio Werdum (#8 Heavyweight in the World)*
-Ryoto Machida vs. David Heath
-Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic
-Assuerio Silva vs. Cheick Kongo

Preliminary Bouts:
-Dennis Siver vs. Jess Liaudin
-Alessio Sakara vs. Victor Valimaki
-Terry Etim vs. Matt Grice
-Junior Assuncao vs. David Lee
-Paul Taylor vs. Ediberto Crocota

Interesting Interview with Cro Cop as well.

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic talked about his upcoming plans at a pre-UFC 70 teleconference this week. Cro Cop is scheduled to fight Gabriel Gonzaga this Saturday at UFC 70 in Manchester, England, with the winner of that fight getting a title shot against UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture in August.

Cro Cop said that he is trying to focus completely on Gonzaga and that to even talk about his next fight after that is a jinx and could hurt his focus on the Gonzaga fight. Cro Cop said that he has watched Gonzaga's fights on tape and that he has been impressed by Gonzaga, particularly with his Jiu-Jitsu skills.

When asked about Randy Couture's victory over Tim Sylvia, Cro Cop said that he had only seen highlights of the fight, but that Couture looked very impressive in the highlights that he did see. He added that his manager just got the whole fight for him, so he will be watching it soon. Cro Cop does not believe that age will be a factor in the potential Couture fight, due to the fact that Couture looked so impresive against Sylvia.

When asked which fighters he would like to fight other than Gonzaga and Couture, he said that he would like to fight Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the very near future. Fedor, Nogueira, and Mark Hunt are the only fighters who hold un-avenged MMA victories over Cro Cop.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3798&zoneid=2

Some UFC/Pride News.............

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White spoke in great detail during a pre-UFC 70 teleconference about his plans for the Pride Fighting Championships organization, which was recently purchased by UFC principal owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta.

The most striking aspect of White's answers to reporters' questions was the way in which he spoke of Pride as a company essentially owned-and-operated by the UFC. Any pretense from the initial buy-out announcement that White would not have anything to do with Pride (or would not be running Pride) was long gone, as was any pretense that Pride and the new company Pride FC Worldwide would not be controlled by Zuffa.

White set the tone for this early on in the conference call when he talked about how busy he is: "I'm working on that [the first round of the Pride Lightweight Grand Prix]. There's only so much I can do at once. We own the UFC, Pride, and WEC, so it's a lot of work."

White also said, "I'm working on a major TV deal for Pride in the U.S. and in Japan." When asked about the Pride USA office, he said that all of the Pride employees will be keeping their jobs but added, "I'm going to be the one going out and signing deals for Pride."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3797&zoneid=13

When a reporter asked if it's true that Mauricio "Shogun" Rua will be fighting in the UFC just as Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will be, White said that Shogun will stay in Pride and added, "All of the guys who are in Pride will stay in Pride." White said that there will be no Pride fighters in the UFC before the big UFC vs. Pride "Super Bowl" event, which he said will be taking place this year.

When a reporter asked about Wanderlei Silva's status as a free agent, White said that Silva is not a free agent and that he has four fights remaining on his Pride contract.

When asked about the status of Pride Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko, who recently stated that he is not under contract to Pride, White said that Fedor is indeed under contract to Pride, but added, "It's a non-exclusive contract, and I don't do non-exclusive contracts."

White said that he is trying to sign Fedor to an exclusive contract and that if Fedor were to sign a similar non-exclusive contract with any other MMA promotion in the meantime, "We would absolutely slap an injunction on that." An "injunction" in this case would be a temporary restraining order seeking to legally prohibit Fedor from fighting in any other MMA promotion.

White was asked about the problem of so many Pride fighters, such as Fedor, being under non-exclusive contracts. White responded, "Yeah, it's a problem. I'm working on it. It's a big problem, but believe me, I'll fix it."

Several of the reporters did not seem to be aware of White's previous statements that the UFC and Pride would have the same rules. When asked about the differences between the UFC's rules and Pride's rules in the future, White said, "It'll all be the same."

cannot wait to see how the "super bowl" card shakes out. there is a enough talent to do amazing back to back PPV's in two months.

That's great news. There should never be doubt who the world champ is. Hope this is one step before UFC and PRIDE are essentially one and the same.

How is the Arlovski fight even odds???

Maybe I'm just in the dark but I don't know much about the guy he's fighting besides the fact that MMA Weekly has him rated the #8 HW in the world.

MMA Weekly's Fight Previews

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (22-4-2) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (7-1-0)
It’s no surprise who the heavy favorite is in this match, you guessed it – this bout appears to be a mere formality for Cro Cop before he faces the venerable Randy Couture for the UFC Heavyweight Championship. Cro Cop has single-handedly injected the flat-lined division with a new lease on life and the potential match-ups for the Croatian killer are huge, but this isn’t one of them.
Cro Cop isn’t just a fighter, and in this respect his most dangerous asset is revealed, he is a soldier, pure and simple. He isn’t going in to compete; he goes in for the kill, presses the action, always moving forward, never afraid to engage. No other fighter in the division shares this mentality.
I fully expect Cro Cop to nullify any takedowns with the most impressive sprawl in MMA and to land sharp, precise blows on his Brazilian opposition. From a standing point of view, Gonzaga won’t be able to trouble him. Although a credible fighter in the division, he isn’t at the Croatian’s level. Will we see his trademark high-kick? Most likely, but expect his hands to fly early with that vicious straight left and uppercuts.
Prediction: First Round KO - Cro Cop

Andrei Arlovski (12-5-0) vs. Fabricio Werdum (9-2-1)
This fight sets up a huge grudge match for Arlovski and Cro Cop as Werdum is Cro Cop’s BJJ instructor and training partner; assuming of course he gets past the former Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Champion.
Tough fight, Arlovski is surely the money shot in waiting for the UFC when he faces Cro Cop in the future, both are excellent strikers and both like to engage from the bell. Werdum has all the tools to put a big spanner in the works with his methodical BJJ game. We saw holes in Arlovski’s repertoire during his match with Pe De Pano, who appeared to be very close to pulling the Belarusian’s leg off (save for some strategic cage grabbing and a cheeky kick to the head). I think the difference here is that Werdum is a better striker, or better prepared to deal with the strikes and setup the mat-based fight he needs.
Arlovski wants a shot at the belt again, but I feel he needs to work through some opposition first, gain some wins and get back into his stride. I think the planning of this match would play to Arlovski’s strengths, but I really feel this will be Werdum’s night.
Prediction: Second Round Sub – Werdum

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3810&zoneid=2

I'm just hoping Bisbing loses.

For some reason I just don't like him. He comes across very unlikeable

I'm just hoping Bisbing loses.

For some reason I just don't like him. He comes across very unlikeable

You think so??

I've always liked him. Of course I'm a big Tito fan too.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom