UNC Academic Violation - HUGE! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UNC Academic Violation - HUGE!

MRojas4

The Cheese Connoisseur
Club Member
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...dent-athletes-to-bogus-classes-181214478.html

3,100 students (most student atheletes) over 18 years took 'No-Show' classes to boost GPA's in order to graduate and avoid being suspended due to low GPA.
Paper classes were essentially classes that were independent study, had no professor and just required a paper at the end of the term. According to Wainstein, Crowder never gave students a grade unless they actually submitted a paper, but she awarded “artificially high” grades to the papers submitted regardless of their content.

In the end, the disparity was clear. Students enrolled in an Afro-American Studies paper class would finish with a 3.62 GPA versus a 3.28 GPA for students in a regular Afro-American Studies course.

For 81 students, the GPA boost from those paper classes gave them a 2.0 GPA that allowed them to graduate from UNC.

--------------------------

Wonder if UNC Women and Men's basketball titles/wins get vacated.

Roy Williams must be ****ting himself. Possibly stripped of Coach of Year awards and wins. Wonder if this puts his HOF seat in jeopardy.

you should read the report, Roy comes out looking great actually as does the basketball program.

you should read the report, Roy comes out looking great actually as does the basketball program.

Read it.

47% Athletes, of that 47%, 51% Football, so the other 49%?

188 per class. 88 Athletes, 45 Football....43...Basketball? Baseball? Soccer?

18 years.

Unless I'm missing other info?

again, please read the report. You will get a better understanding of what it actually says. It's a long read but it will answer your questions.

http://advancingrefor.staging.wpeng...e&hootPostID=3d1e084e89ed2c90e5b7523aad8dd64f

Interesting info. But this being a 'internal' investigation material/paper already makes me suspicious to them protecting the power house programs and coaches.

167 students under Roy in paper-classes is a red-flag and I will not be surprised if more than just the 'Afro' class was pulling stunts like this. (I won't play stupid and pretend every other major college program is not doing this, coming from a University of Miami grad)

Toss in that the NCAA can basically hammer the entire UNC sports division for 'Lack of Institutional Control'.

This will get ugly fast for everyone.

Interesting info. But this being a 'internal' investigation material/paper already makes me suspicious to them protecting the power house programs and coaches.

167 students under Roy in paper-classes is a red-flag and I will not be surprised if more than just the 'Afro' class was pulling stunts like this.

Toss in that the NCAA can basically hammer the entire UNC sports division for 'Lack of Institutional Control'.

This will get ugly fast for everyone.

paper classes happen everywhere, the problem would be if it was an organized effort by Roy and the coaching staff to commit fraud. That clearly didn't happen. we have all had "easy" classes in college or taken a class w/ an "easy grader". The basketball program did nothing wrong, the football program did and was already punished.

paper classes happen everywhere, the problem would be if it was an organized effort by Roy and the coaching staff to commit fraud. That clearly didn't happen. we have all had "easy" classes in college or taken a class w/ an "easy grader". The basketball program did nothing wrong, the football program did and was already punished.

Tip of the iceberg my friend, or so I feel.

I can see it now, all university presidents call up deans of schools with paper programs to clean stuff up.

Wonder if this puts UNC Academic Accreditation at risk.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Eh.... organized effort by staff and coaches would be like football programs not being punished because players took cash and dinners from boosters.

See Miami, football program was on lock down for 3 years because players took cash and gifts from Shapiro. End of the day, NCAA could prove nothing and busted out the generic 'Lack of Institutional Control' card.

actually this is closure not the tip of the iceberg.

Closure to the UNC internal investigation, I assume NCAA one is to follow?

Smoke....Fire.

One class can easily turn into two, four, etc.

But who knows. :idk:

a few highlights:

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB · 3h 3 hours ago

#UNC report:“No current coaches were involved or aware” in "hundreds of irregular classes” for 18 yrs until 2011.Over 3000 students involved

InsideCarolina @InsideCarolina · 3h 3 hours ago

Wainstein report "found no evidence" that the higher levels of the University tried "to obscure the facts or the magnitude" of the scandal.

InsideCarolina @InsideCarolina · 2h 2 hours ago

Wainstein: There is no evidence to support Rashad McCants' claims.

Roy Williams and Joe Holladay took steps to decrease enrollments in the AFAM paper classes.

Wainstein said Roy Williams' actions to limit AFAM enrollments were "inconsistent with being complicit" or promoting the AFAM scheme.

a few highlights:

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB · 3h 3 hours ago

#UNC report:“No current coaches were involved or aware” in "hundreds of irregular classes” for 18 yrs until 2011.Over 3000 students involved

InsideCarolina @InsideCarolina · 3h 3 hours ago

Wainstein report "found no evidence" that the higher levels of the University tried "to obscure the facts or the magnitude" of the scandal.

Wainstein: There is no evidence to support Rashad McCants' claims.

Roy Williams and Joe Holladay took steps to decrease enrollments in the AFAM paper classes.

Wainstein said Roy Williams' actions to limit AFAM enrollments were "inconsistent with being complicit" or promoting the AFAM scheme.

Wouldn't doubt most if not all of higher ups including Roy had zero clue this was going on.

But it is what it is.

If a basketball team member during Roy years was in that class, trouble.

Like saying Golden and Shalala should of known Shapiro was handing out wads of cash to kids after football games.

Or that USC should of known Reggie parents staying at some hot shot lawer/sports agents Cali mansion for free.

In todays college sports, I'm sure most coaches are taking drastic steps to prevent kids from being suspended and from taking 'illegal' benefits.

Wouldn't doubt most if not all of higher ups including Roy had zero clue this was going on.

But it is what it is.

If a basketball team member during Roy years was in that class, trouble.

Like saying Golden and Shalala should of known Shapiro was handing out wads of cash to kids after football games.

Or that USC should of known Reggie parents staying at some hot shot lawer/sports agents Cali mansion for free.

Nothing should and nothing will happen to the basketball team. Carolina was punished enough for PJ Hairston being suspended for last year derailing a FF type team while other schools don't face similar punishments.

I urge all of you guys to read the Wainstein report and listen to wainstein's PC about it.

I have a hard time believing an investigation that is initiated by the component that is being investigated. Not saying it's not accurate but is it really trustworthy? See the Freeh report and Ray Rice debacle.

Back
Top Bottom