Untouchables? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Untouchables?

Jim Jensen

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If any team in the top 5 picks came to Miami and said give us "X" player for our pick.....is there any player that you would say NO to that deal on the Miami roster?

Hell yes!

Dude, I would not give up Ricky, JT, Surtain, Zach, Chambers, McMichael. With these guys we know what we have. Even with a #1 draft you might roll snake eyes.

Ricky "The Bull" Williams shall run-eth you over and Patrick "Certain" to shut you down and Chris "Can Catch" Chambers from anywhere on the field!!!

The only three IMO.

most of our highly paid players are "untouchable" because we would have to eat so much dead cap space that a trade w/not be worth it IMO.

i don't think we would have to eat dead cap space if we traded those high priced players...the team accepting the trade would have to pick up the contract of the player...one reason why trades in the NFL don't happen much...but if we traded one of our high priced players...it would not count against our cap.

Re: Hell yes!

Originally posted by RICKYSABEAST
Dude, I would not give up Ricky, JT, Surtain, Zach, Chambers, McMichael. With these guys we know what we have. Even with a #1 draft you might roll snake eyes.

I agree with you there. Those are the guys for me too. The cornerstones.

It's weird talking about this. But there are some guys you just can't move because it doesn't make sense financially or from a roster standpoint.

If we had someone behind Zach waiting in the wings, heck yeah I'd look to make the deal. But we have nothing behind him. And while making the deal probably gets you in position to chase Big Ben or Eli, it leaves a GAPING hole in the defense. You'd be ripping the heart and soul out of it and possibly ripping up the cap.

So in short, it all depends on what we've accomplished in free agency at that point.

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
i don't think we would have to eat dead cap space if we traded those high priced players...the team accepting the trade would have to pick up the contract of the player...one reason why trades in the NFL don't happen much...but if we traded one of our high priced players...it would not count against our cap.

I think you're (the team unloading) responsible for what's left of the signing bonus.

are you sure muck???

if thats the case than i would agree with dolphan 39.

Yes, I'm sure. :) If we owed no bonus, it wouldn't matter how big his base salary was. We'd incur no cap hit. The bonus stays with the sending team (unless negotiated otherwise....I believe you can do that).

Originally posted by Muck
Yes, I'm sure. :) If we owed no bonus, it wouldn't matter how big his base salary was. We'd incur no cap hit. The bonus stays with the sending team (unless negotiated otherwise....I believe you can do that).
that is what I meant, we would be responsible for the unaccrued portion of the signing bonus or guaranteed salary - which for guys like Zach and JT is huge

Re: Re: Hell yes!

Originally posted by Muck

I agree with you there. Those are the guys for me too. The cornerstones.

Muck, Glad you agree with me it's been a while!:) So who do we get rid of? If we let Ogun get picked up in free agency. Can we trade the worse of the #1's and a third to move up near the front of the line? If we stay is Rivers release point (near his ear) going to affect him in the NFL? All I want is a QB where we have a shot at it NEXT YEAR! I can't handle waiting til whatever rookie we have gets to his 2nd or third year.

dude, unless we get Eli (which im hopin 4 but really doubt) we're gonna have to wait at least 2 yrs i think before a rook is gonna b ready. Thats why we gotta grab Brunell IMO, so we have a decent QB while the rook is developed.

Back
Top Bottom